Trader Quest limit?!

v3tro

Thoughts?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts?

• Good idea
    • Bad idea

6 hours ago, Roland said:

On a similar note I'd like to see random open and closed times so that maybe a trader isn't even open when you go and so you have to visit a different one. Random amount of jobs, random open/close times all make the traders seem more alive like maybe THEY are doing a job or on a loot run so no jobs to give out today or even "sorry, we're not open right now".

Interesting idea, but a bit weird.   Would have to do some c# coding for that though.  I am trying something different.  I changed the open and close times for each trader so they are unique.  I also limited it to only 12 hours open.  Does change up interacting with the traders

17 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Interesting idea, but a bit weird.   Would have to do some c# coding for that though.  I am trying something different.  I changed the open and close times for each trader so they are unique.  I also limited it to only 12 hours open.  Does change up interacting with the traders

I just wonder how the player is informed when which trader is open? In reality we are informed at the entrance door and can note or remember the opening hours but in the game I currently see no way to tell the player.

7 hours ago, Roland said:

Unlimited quests is too much like LBD. You can spam them and you rise in tier quickly by spamming them getting better at them the more you do them and so it dominates the game which was one of the big weaknesses of LBD. It also feels contrived and unnatural that there would be so much work available to do. Obviously, there are other survivor associates of the traders who can also take jobs and so it makes sense that the list of jobs available for a day dwindle until the Trader tells you there are none left for the day so please come back tomorrow.

And that's very good and... realistic in this same time - if you doing a lot of jobs for traders they can give you rly good job pretty fast get their trust as profesionalist. Ofc It would be more realistic if this quest would be bigger like - find something far by 250 km but this is not possible because well... maps in 7dtd aren't so big. In such world there would be always something to do - rare resources, elimiated bandit's group, secure important road etc. So always would be too much to do and not enough survivors. 

That's pros of LBD - if you want to get something good you have to be good and this and spend a lot of time doing this

4 hours ago, RipClaw said:

A question for all who want to have a limit. How many quests can you realistically do in a day with a default day length of 60 minutes? In the best case I can complete 2 or 3, depending on tier and distance. For most T5 I need more than one day and for the T4 it depends on the POI but there I can usually only complete a maximum of 2. Most of the time it is only one T4 POI.

I've done five T4s in a day as I recall. Definitely managed five T1-3s. The biggest limiting factor is your trader's proximity to the easiest T4s. Travel time can be longer than clear time on the easy T4s. Note that you can also get the T5 completion reward by doing 9 T4s. It's more efficient than doing T5s because I don't think anyone can clear more than two T5s in a day. (Though it's easy to do the hospital twice in a day.)

Note that I play on Warrior. Higher than that and the enemies are just too bullet spongy for me.

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

I just wonder how the player is informed when which trader is open? In reality we are informed at the entrance door and can note or remember the opening hours but in the game I currently see no way to tell the player.

Easy way is just to have a note in-game with the times.  That is on my to do list for my playthroughs (Even the modder doesn't always remember the open times of each trader when he plays  😉 ).  Right now, I just have a scrap piece of paper next to me with the times based on my current mod level.

4 hours ago, RipClaw said:

A question for all who want to have a limit. How many quests can you realistically do in a day with a default day length of 60 minutes? In the best case I can complete 2 or 3, depending on tier and distance. For most T5 I need more than one day and for the T4 it depends on the POI but there I can usually only complete a maximum of 2. Most of the time it is only one T4 POI.

I average out 1 a day, even at T1 quest levels.  There might be days where I don't do a T1, but I will do a couple the next day.  One I get closer to T3 and higher though, sometimes the average drops down to less than 1 a day before the reset, especially if the day is a trader visit day and the quest is on the other side of the trader route.  Those days I will just pick a POI on my way back to loot before I return to base.

Also, I impose my own limit, but not really have an opinion on the devs introducing one to the game....but I play SP only so that is why I don't have an opinion either way.

It's worth noting that beyond the rewards being overpowered, the tier assigned to different quests is also kind of arbitrary at times. Some T4s can take all day but others are a breeze. Zelext? (the restaurant with the wine cellar boss room where the zombies don't attack you because the stairs have meaty railings) can be run through in like 1.5 game hours if you don't stop to loot the drink dispensers and other low-value containers. Same for the Shotgun Messiah with the shooting range, though its boss room at least is challenging if you try to speed-run it. Plus it has two loot rooms with locked containers which can slow you down, but if the longest part of s PoI is picking/breaking a couple locks then it's not very significant.

Having random days off and individual opening times sounds like a good idea at first. In the long run i think it´s gonna be annoying.

I actually don´t really see a problem with the quests,  unless in PvP where one doing no or only a few quests is getting an actual disadvantage compared to someone spamming quests. In SP it´s a non existing problem, simply don´t spam quests. In MP PvE you also have no disadvantage if you don´t do quests when others do them. Question here is if this issue should be balanced around PvP.

Also the rewards overpowered? Must be my luck, i remember mostly getting useless things that i simply sold. And when it comes to T5 quests and getting T6 items as a reward, it´was usually one i already have or don´t need. Or it´s T6 but the stats are worse than my T5.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

One thing to bear in mind about quest rewards is that game/loot stage aren't taken into account. Somebody spamming quests will be easily decked out with Q6 steel tools weapons and armor before the second horde night, while someone ignoring traders will probably have Q3 *iron* tools/weapons and scrap armor. If you're already on day 50 when you start questing though you're not going to be as impressed by the individual quest rewards.

The completion rewards for higher tiers are always crazy, though. There's no scenario where 500 steel blocks isn't over-the-top as a prize. But especially in week 2/3 it's crazy to basically skip from a small cobblestone base to a medium-sized steel base, never even needing to touch concrete.

Also note that the Q6 steel tools and weapons are for tier 4 quests. I didn't notice a major difference between T4 and T5 individual quest rewards, though admittedly I moved on from T5 to T4 quests pretty quickly.

Edited by ElDudorino (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, ElDudorino said:

Somebody spamming quests will be easily decked out with Q6 steel tools weapons and armor before the second horde night, while someone ignoring traders will probably have Q3 *iron* tools/weapons and scrap armor.

I am on day 106 and have not received Q6 steel tools as a reward from any merchant yet. The best I've gotten is a Q6 sniper rifle, a Q6 M60, a Q5 SMG and a Q5 Auger. The two Q6 weapons were for the T5 completion as far as I remember.

One thing is odd about the rewards. I sometimes get better rewards for T4 quests than for T5 quests. A few anibiotics as a reward for a T5 is nothing to write home about.

I always wonder how you spam quests? Do you not loot anything and just do the fetch part?

2 hours ago, ElDudorino said:

I've done five T4s in a day as I recall. Definitely managed five T1-3s.

How does this work ? Either I am extremely slow or you skip a large part of the POIs.

26 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

I always wonder how you spam quests? Do you not loot anything and just do the fetch part?

Well, you can skip looting; but taking the important bits doesn't take that long. As long as we're talking about "checking what's in most of the trash bags", and not "wrenching all the sinks for all the pipes".

How? Beeline to POI, hit quest marker, clear room to room along the "proper" path, beeline back to trader, dump the stuff you'll want to keep into a chest at trader, take the next quest and Beeline to POI. Leave a dig quest for the night in case you don't want to deal with runners in a POI. Once night hits, haul one inventory of the keepers to home, with priority to what you'll need next.

Fetches; depends on what I'm aiming for.. a long POI, where the satchel was in the first/second room, I'm usually out right away. Often I clear a place just to clear it anyway, good XP.. :)

That more or less sums it up. Fetch quests are 'better' than clear in that you'll get the same item reward in way less time and you'll get closer to tier completion, which is more important than the extra dukes from clears. Then when it comes to T4 clears you just need to make sure you have the right PoIs. This will depend on your map but if you have good PoIs nearby you can fly through them. A few of the T4s are only like 5-6 rooms in a straight line so you just have to sprint through and blast everybody.

If you take quests in places that are more spread out like the drive-in (which also requires door and wall breaking in I think 4 spots) you're going to hurt your clear time a lot. So pre-existing knowledge of the PoIs is a factor.

2 hours ago, ElDudorino said:

Somebody spamming quests will be easily decked out with Q6 steel tools weapons and armor before the second horde night

Out of the many runs of this game that I've played, I don't think I've EVER had a set of Q6 steel tools by day 14. Unless you're playing on increased XP and sticking solely to the wasteland, I just don't see how this is possible, even then extremely unlikely.

13 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

Out of the many runs of this game that I've played, I don't think I've EVER had a set of Q6 steel tools by day 14. Unless you're playing on increased XP and sticking solely to the wasteland, I just don't see how this is possible, even then extremely unlikely.

Game stage and loot stage don't affect rewards. Biome/XP are irrelevant. If you are questing from day one and going at it hard you should be partway through tier 3 quests by the first horde night and either at or potentially finished with tier 5 by the second horde night. By the start of tier 5 you'd have 7 T4 rewards plus however many T4s you did after that towards your T5 tier completion.

Maybe the steel armor is more of a best-case scenario that wouldn't be as likely but having a Q6 steel club/machete plus pick/shovel/axe is expected. But again, this is only if you've been spamming quests. It's basically to show that doing anything else (i.e. playing the game 'normally') leads to dramatically slower progression than questing from day 1.