Bad code site, if you mod or use giveself (https://commands.gg/7dtd/items#)

Kilroy5150

For giveto or modding, this guy's codes are short and can crash the system because he's using short code

https://commands.gg/7dtd/items#

Some of his code may work but a great deal of it doesn't. Just wanna keep people from running into the problems i did.

Does anyone have a really nice code site for IDs that are constantly updated and well structured? Most of the places i get them from are grouped together and i had to use their sites to validate the one above being bad.

It's like he uses: giveself armyPants  for BDU pants and it's the wrong code. It should be giveself apparelArmyPants

Edited by Kilroy5150 (see edit history)

Because the whole point of this point is to let people know there's a site out there with codes that can cause more harm than good. Jeebus, why can't you read?

And talk about difficult.....you didn't even need to comment so who's making what difficult? Also, i don't cheat i mod mods and having good codes is a necessity to make them work.

'nuff said?

5 hours ago, Kilroy5150 said:

Does anyone have a really nice code site for IDs that are constantly updated and well structured? Most of the places i get them from are grouped together and i had to use their sites to validate the one above being bad.

I think Geoff's comment was on this bit. This game has a cheat menu that you can type in names to pull items out of, instead of needing to do codes. Much easier to activate CM, hit U and find your item there rather than tabbing back and forth to type the xml names in.

Whatever dude, i won't waste a moment trying to help anymore. The polite thing to do would be just ignore it rather than anally "pick" at someone for making an honest attempt at helping people. Not everyone knows all the menus but everyone knows how to surf.

I have no regrets for my posts. 

That's all i'll say on the matter.

You asked if there's a list somewhere of items... Someone told you about the cheat menu that's much more simple to use than hunting for codes. How thin skinned do you have to be to get mad about that? Sure it could have been written in a "nicer" manner with the whole jebus part, but for real? Gonna have a rage fit over this? Appreciate the help about the site, but I know of no modder that uses a code site to find out names of items in the xmls. The only person that it could help is someone using cheats in game, which... there's an easier method.

But feel free to let your own post ruin your day. Don't think many people would take advice from someone with such a thin skin.

22 minutes ago, Telric said:

You asked if there's a list somewhere of items... Someone told you about the cheat menu that's much more simple to use than hunting for codes. How thin skinned do you have to be to get mad about that? Sure it could have been written in a "nicer" manner with the whole jebus part, but for real? Gonna have a rage fit over this? Appreciate the help about the site, but I know of no modder that uses a code site to find out names of items in the xmls. The only person that it could help is someone using cheats in game, which... there's an easier method.

But feel free to let your own post ruin your day. Don't think many people would take advice from someone with such a thin skin.

I specifically said "code site"....because i use 3 monitors and it's how i reference, but don't try and dump on someone because you didn't "specially" read it right.

I don't have a thin skin, i have history. I've been through web experiences most people haven't (here) even dreamed of. The old dial-up days were a very violent and chaotic time and it tends to make you react to things a certain way. I've been online since before 300 baud was a "thing". The message boards i've come from aren't a lot different from these now, people just "pretend" to be more rational because they've figured more creative ways to poke at people.

Dude, you know NOTHING about me, my history, and the things i've seen and haven't. What you just said is the equavilent to a vietnam vet with PTSD being called overly reactionary.

You might be a good coder but that doesn't make you and professional judge of people. It only shows people your ignorance, at least the ones that don't back you because you code. 

Easier isn't defined soley by you, by the way. I don't use the creative menu because it's easier for me to use a code-page because i'm old school. My post and i were "fine" until you and dude started poking at me. You could have just left it alone and said nothing, both of you, or posted a "site" like i asked. But no, you had to go in this direction.

To everyone else: I apologize for all the revisions, someone was talking to me while i was typing.

If you look at that website, it hasn't been updated for awhile now.  Alpha 19 looks like it was last updated, but doesn't look like it was checked to see what was removed in previous versions.  I came across stainless steel which was removed back in A19.

They also haven't done their homework.  Telling users to spell out debugmode and creativemode when dm and cm is all you need (also the tutorial doesn't mention anything about the setting at the start of the game you have to change to enable those commands).

If you feel the need to use the giveself command, you can easily open the xml files in Notepad++ and copy / paste the item names into another file.  Same with blocks, entities, etc.

That seems like too much work though, cm is an easier route really.

As Telric noticed, my comment was directed at the use of "giveself" - a command console code used, in my experience and observation, almost exclusively to cheat in items in game.  I have little to no patience (or sympathy) for cheaters complaining about bad code that messes things up for them.  About as much sympathy as I have for people complaining about mods not working right in hacked/cracked games they are using.  And the OP came across, to me, as the equivalent of "Hey modders and cheaters!  Don't use this guy's site because the cheat codes don't work!"  Obviously, that was not your intent.

It would appear that you and I are of similar age.  I'm old enough to remember George Wallace standing on the steps at the University of Alabama, and Kennedy's assassination.  I grew up in an age where if you wanted a computer at home?  You built it yourself.  From the circuit board up.  The last time I did any serious programming, Fortran77 was the brand new "OMG! Hot shyte!" programming language. 

I won't claim to be a coder, or a programmer, or anything of the sort.  I do some XML editing and drop in some .png files here and there, maybe to add recipes, an item I want in a game that isn't available, adding a CanPickUp property to an item/block that players should be able to pick up in game but can't...

I can see where a comprehensive item list would be useful for someone doing a lot of that kind of thing and making custom mods.  Having incorrect item names in a list that you thought might be useful would totally gum up the works.  I stick with the vanilla files, and the files of any mods that I find useful for my own pet projects.  While Google is my friend, for the game I limit my searches for how to do things in XML.

My apologies for giving offense.

Edited by Evil_Geoff (see edit history)

I also have a history that stems from war boards and telric is right, you have thin skin.

You're basically posting a warning saying "hey don't use this site, it's super outdated", geoff posted "you can do this instead", and then you crapped your pants.

... because someone tried to help you.

So yeh, you have thin skin, and there's *no way* you came from the bbs days, because a war board would have made you cry in a corner.

Unless, that's the PTSD you're referring to.

18 hours ago, Kilroy5150 said:

For giveto or modding, this guy's codes are short and can crash the system because he's using short code

https://commands.gg/7dtd/items#

Some of his code may work but a great deal of it doesn't. Just wanna keep people from running into the problems i did.

It's like he uses: giveself armyPants  for BDU pants and it's the wrong code. It should be giveself apparelArmyPants

I gave up on that quest to find such a site some time ago and became resigned to the fact that Creative Menu provides the most up to date offerings. Fortunately, it gets more user friendly and intuitive with each update it receives.

Maybe see if the dwarfmaster1974 is willing to create a Mod which performs a similar task directly through the game's user interface.

A recent release is in effect a visual database of all the icons in the game. And these can then be cross checked directly through the mod xml to find their current name. This is useful for Modders who need to cross reference icons should they make a customised HUD/UI. You'll see my like on the initial posting as this really rocks my boat.

If your post is not where you left it the last time you looked, it is because it may well be moved to the Game Modding Discussion area, instead of this Modding area. Posting it here is a bit like preaching to the fully converted, and not really the congregation you may be looking for.

And if the dwarfmaster1974 takes you up on your request, and you are willing to assist by plowing through the items.xml to pull out all of the current item names (TFP have made some pretty good notes to categorise them which will help a lot), it will be a service to everyone.

8 hours ago, Guppycur said:

I also have a history that stems from war boards and telric is right, you have thin skin.

You're basically posting a warning saying "hey don't use this site, it's super outdated", geoff posted "you can do this instead", and then you crapped your pants.

... because someone tried to help you.

So yeh, you have thin skin, and there's *no way* you came from the bbs days, because a war board would have made you cry in a corner.

Unless, that's the PTSD you're referring to.

LOL...You guys are so funny. Flamers and hypocrites who couldn't "resist" getting in on a flame session? You couldn't "resist" jumping in on a fight and i've got issues?

Nobody's got BALLS enough to admit that "if" they had just left it alone, this never would have gotten to this point. NOBODY. Because you're all in this little boys club where you think you're not wrong. You don't know the difference (obviously) between a "site" (website, that i asked for because it's how i do things) and a UI (that i didn't ask for) and so you jumped on me. Geoff didn't have to say a word, but he could have just mentioned the UI but he couldn't resist adding the end piece and taking a poke.

And i'm thin skinned? What a joke! Hypocrites.

Crying? Gup, if you knew anything about war-boards (from the day) you'd know how those wars eventually got settled, in person because BBS were mostly local. It's easy enough for you to sit on your end and talk tough because that's as far as someone like you probably ever went if you even had an "in the day" BBS experience of a real war.

Poser.

I'm out. You people are as boring (now) as you were 5 years ago and it's funny because it's almost the same little gang that does the same little thing.

16 minutes ago, Kilroy5150 said:

LOL...You guys are so funny. Flamers and hypocrites who couldn't "resist" getting in on a flame session? You couldn't "resist" jumping in on a fight and i've got issues?

Nobody's got BALLS enough to admit that "if" they had just left it alone, this never would have gotten to this point. NOBODY. Because you're all in this little boys club where you think you're not wrong. You don't know the difference (obviously) between a "site" (website, that i asked for because it's how i do things) and a UI (that i didn't ask for) and so you jumped on me. Geoff didn't have to say a word, but he could have just mentioned the UI but he couldn't resist adding the end piece and taking a poke.

And i'm thin skinned? What a joke! Hypocrites.

Crying? Gup, if you knew anything about war-boards (from the day) you'd know how those wars eventually got settled, in person because BBS were mostly local. It's easy enough for you to sit on your end and talk tough because that's as far as someone like you probably ever went if you even had an "in the day" BBS experience of a real war.

Poser.

I'm out. You people are as boring (now) as you were 5 years ago and it's funny because it's almost the same little gang that does the same little thing.

Really?  Arramus and myself never once insulted you or anything.  I actually looked at the site and mentioned my thoughts on their update schedule (and how they are doing it which seems to be very haphazard really).  I offered a suggestion about just copying and pasting the names into a file so you can reference it.  Arramus was offering a suggestion (even hooked you up with someone that might be able to help you) and mentioned that he also wasn't able to find a decent site that was updated and easy to use.

Yes you got issues.  As soon as you lumped myself and Arramus into this little rant of yours, it became obvious that you are not going to distinguish people that are simply offering suggestions vs those that make comments that obviously get under your skin.  If you don't want people to give you suggestions, then don't post on any public board or forum...because you are going to get them.

I also see that Evil_Geoff actually apologize for assuming something that wasn't.  Takes a big person to do that, admit that they were wrong.  Are you the same?  Or is Arramus and I just a hypocrite or flamer for daring to offering suggestions and / or comments to the topic at hand?

Thing is, in the end it won't matter what you do as I will still do what I do, offer help to those that are looking for it.  Sometimes the help won't be exactly what they want, but most people appreciate the effort to help others.  Most people that is.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

Really?  Arramus and myself never once insulted you or anything.  I actually looked at the site and mentioned my thoughts on their update schedule (and how they are doing it which seems to be very haphazard really).  I offered a suggestion about just copying and pasting the names into a file so you can reference it.  Arramus was offering a suggestion (even hooked you up with someone that might be able to help you) and mentioned that he also wasn't able to find a decent site that was updated and easy to use.

Yes you got issues.  As soon as you lumped myself and Arramus into this little rant of yours, it became obvious that you are not going to distinguish people that are simply offering suggestions vs those that make comments that obviously get under your skin.  If you don't want people to give you suggestions, then don't post on any public board or forum...because you are going to get them.

I also see that Evil_Geoff actually apologize for assuming something that wasn't.  Takes a big person to do that, admit that they were wrong.  Are you the same?  Or is Arramus and I just a hypocrite or flamer for daring to offering suggestions and / or comments to the topic at hand?

Thing is, in the end it won't matter what you do as I will still do what I do, offer help to those that are looking for it.  Sometimes the help won't be exactly what they want, but most people appreciate the effort to help others.  Most people that is.

Dude i only came back to let you know that the people i'm talking to, they "know" who they are and it's not you guys. It's not the first time i've been ambushed by some of these guys online. I just came back to tell you it wasn't you i was talking about.