What is the most useful item to loot in the first hour of the game?

ElCabong

the flame mod for a club is way more useful starting out than later on.

Your club gets a lot better when you are at your weakest.

You can put it in your ax and use it as a light when you're working on your base at night. Which is a little strange because you're working on wood blocks with a tool that's on fire.

If you get cold you can equip whatever you have it installed in and it keeps you warm. 

First hour, realistically, a cooking pot; opens up boiled meat for cheap healing. Anything else is either too common to worry about or too rare to look for... if you run into a wasteland, checking some cars for small surprises like a melee weapon might be an idea.

3 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

First thing I always do it gather a good supply of the basics. (wood, stone, fibers, feathers, chrysanthemum) Then I hunt houses for food and a pot.

I'm with this. Stealth (no points), primitive bow and some arrows is the difference between ending the day with full health and a couple levels, or ending with half health and an infection.

Melee before armour is possible, especially the longer ranged spears and sledge hammers, but it's more iffy that just head shotting everything from stealth.

I also head towards having a cooking pot as soon as possible. either by looting or crafting a forge if I can. I have some grace period (as of the current default game settings) before I need to be concerned about temperature. Food and drink. With those I can survive the later effects of cold (campfire helps for food. drink and warmth).  I'd prefer to find a mod that improves the bash 'em in the head with my poor club. The flaming mod does that, but so do a few of the others.

13 hours ago, theFlu said:

First hour, realistically, a cooking pot; opens up boiled meat for cheap healing. Anything else is either too common to worry about or too rare to look for... if you run into a wasteland, checking some cars for small surprises like a melee weapon might be an idea.

Well, in an RWG I don't know where the wasteland is*. And even if I stumbled across it I may consider hitting up a few cars or such on its border. Highly unlikely for me though.

* could have copied it to some other tool, but just because I have seen the map after its been generated, in-game I won't see it. Or can I?

21 minutes ago, Melange said:

even if I stumbled across it

That's the version I meant by "running into", as in "oh look, a wasteland!". It's a little risky on day 1, for sure, but if I won't take risks in a video game... where will I?

You can reveal the biomes on your in-game map if you want; in DM mode, the map has new buttons in the top right. But that makes for a "slightly hacked" game, so it wouldn't have really applied to the thread.

I agree with wrench. As someone who doesn't like spending points in cooking/advanced engineering, this lets me skip the early necessities of a forge as I can wrench things for forged iron in the meantime (to make early iron tools, iron doors, and repair kits). Gives me more time to try and loot/buy a forge or the schematic.

As someone playing singleplayer, cooking grill/cooking pot is not a necessity for me. I used to think charred meat would hurt your health and/or make you sick compared to grilled meat, but they are essentially the same stats except charred makes you thirsty. This isn't hard to counter as long as you have even just 1 empty jar due to how easy it is to get water as well as not needing a cooking pot to boil it. My opinions may change in A21 as they are re-working the water mechanics.

2 hours ago, Silverjohn said:

If we're talking something that's a long shot to get as opposed to good general loot?  Silencer.  Honey is a close second.

I've never looted a silencer on day one but I have seen it for sale at the trader on day one. bought it as soon as I could.