Quests Server Side

Just a couple of quick questions:

1) Having created a custom quest, how can other players on the server be forced to download those components i.e. custom icons etc.

Everything works flawlessly except for the fact that my item has no icon for other players! Which sort of makes it easy to miss sometimes :)

2) My quests show up for the trader's and they are added to the random pool correctly however, they appear without showing their distance and bearing relevant to the player as in it is missing the text that follows the quest name, the part that appears inside (parenthesis)

[Tier X] Clear Navezgane (401m NE)

1. Unfortunately, if your mod/modlet has any non-XML assets, they will not be pushed from server to clients, so the clients will have to install them. Those include custom icons, Unity assets, compiled C# .dll files, etc. (I think Localization.txt gets pushed, but I could be wrong about that - it didn't used to, but someone told me it does now, can't remember who.)

2. You can add placeholders to the quest text in the Localization.txt file. Here's an example:

Fetch / Clear ([DECEA3]{poi.distance} {poi.direction}[-])

The "[DECEA3]" part is a hex RGB color; the "[-]" part ends the color. For the placeholders inside curly braces, you can use "poi.direction", "poi.distance", or "poi.name". (There might be others, but those are the only ones TFP uses.)

I don't know if you can do this outside of Localization.txt though (if you're putting your text directly in the quest XML). You could try it and see.

4 hours ago, khzmusik said:

1. Unfortunately, if your mod/modlet has any non-XML assets, they will not be pushed from server to clients, so the clients will have to install them. Those include custom icons, Unity assets, compiled C# .dll files, etc. (I think Localization.txt gets pushed, but I could be wrong about that - it didn't used to, but someone told me it does now, can't remember who.)

2. You can add placeholders to the quest text in the Localization.txt file. Here's an example:

Fetch / Clear ([DECEA3]{poi.distance} {poi.direction}[-])

The "[DECEA3]" part is a hex RGB color; the "[-]" part ends the color. For the placeholders inside curly braces, you can use "poi.direction", "poi.distance", or "poi.name". (There might be others, but those are the only ones TFP uses.)

I don't know if you can do this outside of Localization.txt though (if you're putting your text directly in the quest XML). You could try it and see.

Perfect thank you, I knew it was something to do with variables but couldn't remember the correct ones, my old quest that did have this was lost to a corrupt hard drive!

Localization.txt DOES get pushed out as other players can see the description of the quest and item etc which I have put into a Localization.txt as in my experience there are some things you cannot do if you don't use a Localization.txt file. Unfortunately these things escape me currently but I feel safe to say that it is the better way forward to have all those things in a single file rather than scattered around the XML files instead.

As for non-XML assets, I guess we need to wait for such things to become available potentially via Steam Workshop or development by TFP. Only option we have is ensuring users download the icons (and other non-XML assets) for now.