Run And Hide Gamer Series - 7DTD : Day Of The Zombie (Youtube series and a short story based off 7DTD)

Sarah Steele

July 12, 2024...this was the day a zombie virus had broken out across the world. No one knew exactly where it started or how it had started but the growing number of zombies in cities across the world proved that this virus was spreading rapidly.

To escape the zombie virus, I left San Francisco and headed out to sea by boat. I had heard that islands such as Hawaii were free of this virus so this was probably the best option to escape being eaten by a zombie.

Unfortunately, my boat hit an uncharted reef 8 hours later. The sun was just peeking over the horizon and I could see what looked like a large island just off the port side. Had no idea which island this was as the navigation charts did not record an island anywhere within 50 miles of this part of the ocean. 

I swam to the island and rested on the beach to get my breath back. I looked back at my boat just as the bow disappeared below the water. There was little chance of getting anything else from the boat. I checked what I had managed to bring with me. 

Two bottles of mineral water, a few days' supply of food, some bandages and that was pretty much it.

Over to my left, I could see a small lake just off the beach, and, knowing two bottles of mineral water were not going to last long, I walked over to the lake to check the quality of the water. As I approached it I could see a pig had collapsed next to the water.... and then I could smell it. The pig was clearly dead and had been so for several days.

Then I noticed that the water was dark green in color. Something was not right here. This observation was proven to be true when I then noticed a dozen dead fish on the surface of the lake.  

There was something wrong with the water on this island and it was killing the fish. I looked at the 2 bottles of mineral water in my backpack..... how long were those going to keep me alive?

Edited by Sarah Steele (see edit history)

So I am on an island where something is wrong with the water.... dead fish in the water is never a good sign.

I have 2 bottles of water in my backpack and after I finish that water I do not know if I will be able to drink again. There are no coconut trees on this island that I can see so my prospects of survival are not looking so good.

There is an old wooden house next to me... perhaps there is some water in the taps or perhaps in a fridge in the kitchen..... though the water in the fridge could also be undrinkable. And where does the water in the taps come from? Another much larger lake whose water is so contaminated that every fish in that lake has died.

But the worst was yet to come. 

I searched a shed outside the house and found a woman lying on her face up near the back wall. As I walked closer to her, the woman stood up and turned around, showing me her face.

A zombie !!!

The zombie had been asleep out the back of the house..... I never knew zombies slept....until now that is.

She had woken and followed me out to the back of the house. A few hours earlier I had heard what sounded like a bear off in the distance. For that reason, I quickly crafted a spear in case the bear happened to find me. Of course, at that time I did not know there were zombies on this island.

As the zombie shuffled toward me I could see that she had once been a nurse. Was there a hospital somewhere on this island? Where had she come from? Were there other zombies in the area?

Sweat gathered above my eyes as the zombie grew closer. If I didn't put the zombie down she was going to put me down. I raised the spear and aimed for her head.... she had been human once and I wanted to make this quick.

It didn't take long. I watched her body as it lay in the grass... checking to make sure she was not alive again. No....too much damage to the head meant this zombie would not get back up again.

I looked around me, checking the distant hills. I wondered how many of them were out there waiting for night to fall.

• Sarah Steele changed the title to Run And Hide Gamer Series - 7DTD : Every Drop Of Water Can Now Kill You (Youtube series and a short story based off 7DTD)

In the last episode....

I could see through the gap in the wall where once sat a window that there were a number of zombies on the floor of the kitchen. If I was going to search the house for supplies I needed to get the zombies out of there. 

The zombies could smell the rotting meat in my backpack and I suspect they  could smell me too. Not sure if it was the rotten meat that they were after or were they more interested in me.

Using the spear I killed the zombies again...making sure they did not rise again. The last thing I wanted was a zombie getting up behind me while I was trying to access the house.

Climbing into the kitchen I saw 2 more zombies in a side room and used my spear on them as they shuffled towards me. Wiping the tip of the spear on my trousers,  I checked the rest of the room and was satisfied there were no more undead inside the house. 

I began searching the house, picking up the supplies that I would need to survive the apocalypse. I then noticed that the room was getting darker and that the sun was beginning to set. Where had the day gone?

There was no electricity in the house and the zombies would no doubt arrive during the night and simply climb through the window. I was in deep trouble.

My only chance of surviving the night was to build a crude ladder with the few nails I had found and escape onto the roof.

I had only just managed to climb up on top of the roof when I heard a moaning noise coming from the nearby  trees. I turned my head and looked directly at the tree cover as a group of zombies headed towards the house. 

I quickly ducked my head and watched as over a dozen zombies draw closer, wondering if firstly the zombies would see the ladder going up to the roof, and secondly if those zombies wee able to climb up the ladder. 

If they could climb the ladder I was in deep trouble.

I knew I was in trouble..... not only was there a sizeable horde of zombies in the street but I could see my food and water was running out. Every drop of water in the rivers and lakes was highly contaminated so I needed to do something about the water quickly.

I noticed the zombie shuffling her way into my temporary house and could hear as she started banging on the walls trying to break in. She could smell the meat I had stashed away inside. With all the noise she was making she was going to bring every zombie within a mile towards me and that would be the end of me.

Clutching the spear, I rushed towards the house to quickly deal with the zombie inside the house before every zombie arrived to make a meal out of me.

The basement of the house was cold and damp and there was a really bad smell down there. Zombie was the first thing that came to mind. I clutched my spear and tried looking in the dark corners. My imagination was running wild.

Then I heard it..... something in the distance shuffling across the dusty floor. The noise was coming from the next room.  I made my way over to the gap in the wall and peered through.... a lone zombie.

As I was about to enter the room and take out the lone zombie, I noticed a second zombie, then a third.... and soon it was clear there were at least six in there. 

And then as one they all turned around and looked at me...some without cheeks, others with strips of skin hanging off their face. And then they screamed at me and charged.

I had no choice. I had to leave the house and find supplies. I was going to run out of water within days and if that happened I would soon die and become one of these creatures shuffling aimlessly in the street.

I climbed down the ladder from my hiding spot and noticed that all 3 of my spike traps were still intact, through one of the mines was missing. That would have been the explosion I heard during the night when an unfortunate zombie happened to step on the landmine. There was no dead zombie there....had it been able to crawl away?

My primitive weapons and tools kept on breaking. That could turn deadly if I was fighting off a zombie that was trying to kill me when the spear broke.

Also of concern were the birds in the sky... either vultures or buzzards.... or were they the same bird. When the zombie virus first hit the birds would feast on the bodies lying on the ground. Some thought it was in the blood but it resulted in every single bird turning into some sort of flying monster.

The word got out among the survivors..... don't let the birds scratch you. People had started getting ill after a bird scratched them. It wasn't immediate but it was quick. If they didn't get medicine within an hour of getting scratched the birds could infect them. Four infections were linked to the birds.... the warning was clear...don't let either the zombie or the birds scratch you. 

My back was aching from all of the supplies crammed into my backpack. I had spent the last few hours doing a search of the nearby streets looking for supplies that could help me survive this zombie apocalypse.

Sure the food and water I was finding were great finds but I needed tools and I needed weapons most of all... and obviously, other survivors had been through this area before and taken the best that was on offer.

Not saying that I was not going to find a cookpot and other much-needed items but it seemed pretty obvious that cookpots that had been sitting on kitchen benchtops were long gone. My only hope was to look through every cupboard in the hope of finding that item hidden away from view. Of course, this meant it would take longer to get things done which was not ideal.

But I am ready to take on the challenges. One thing I need to build is a table saw. Those things are not that easy to build and I probably would need to find screws and springs and nails and somehow fashion a blade.

So I search the nearby houses for these items. The very first house I walk into had so many zombies inside it that I was lucky to get out alive. There were landmines all over the place inside and I had to pay attention to where I walked.

The house had a second floor and there was a zombie that had got locked in the bathroom that was smashing the door down. 

Then I saw the thing coming down the stairs towards me and fear went down my spine.

I needed to do a supply run before the Sun went down as I was running low on food and water. My stomach was rumbling so loud I was afraid that during a supply run the noise would attract a large group of zombies to where I was hiding.

I had managed to grab a lot of useful supplies in my previous runs.... food, water, wood and nails. But for some reason I had not found a cookpot in any of the kitchens I had searched. 

The two story house down the street was different from the rest. Firstly there were a number of landmines in the path leading to the house and the large hole in the wall that was once a window also had a landmine perched on the window sill which was obviously intended to stop any of the undead from crawling into the house.

I walked into the house and first thing that hit me was the strong smell in the air... and then I heard a growl coming from somewhere on the right hand side of the door. 

Clutching my spear in both hands, I moved slowly towards where the growl had come from. a small room just off to the side which looked far too small to be a bedroom or a study.

I had almost reached the door when I saw it...standing there and not moving... a blank look on it's face as whatever was left of it's mind finally registered that I was there.

With another growl, its arm reached out to me...it's grey fingers pointing directly at me...and then it began shuffling towards me.

I had managed to survive three days in this town, despite all the zombies that I had encountered on the street. To be truthful the ones on the street were the less dangerous.... well , hell hounds, wolves, coyotes , bears and vultures being the exception to that rule. Well you know what I mean. In an apocalypse it can be dangerous where ever you are.... which is why you have to sleep with one eye open in case some nightmare somehow managed to find you in the middle of the night. 

I had just spent my third night here and to be truthful I did not get much sleep. Too many zombies out on the streets making those strange moans and occasional shrieks as they wandered down the street. I couldn't help but wander where they were going.

It was 2am and the sun had just peeked up over the horizon. I quickly swallowed a bottle of water to stay hydrated and followed that down with a few handfuls of berries. I had a reasonable amount of food stored away in rubbish bags I had found on the street but I still needed to ration the food and water.

I made my way into the house at the end of the street and made my way from one room to the next, occasionally being surprised by zombies falling from high up in the roof or falling out of cupboards.

What I was not prepared for was the four legged hell hound which was standing in the bathroom. Bright red eyes burning from inside a broken face, the hell hound had not yet noticed me.

I began stepping back slowly, hoping that I wasn't going to step on broken glass that would alert the hound to my presence.

This was not the first time the military plane had flown over. It appeared that they were doing daily drops in areas where they believed survivors were holding out against the zombie menace. Yesterday there had been a drop, the orange spiral of smoke marking where the supply crate was going to land. But yesterday the supply crate had landed in the water off the island and was far beyond reach.

So another drop today in almost the same location....but it appeared to be much closer this time looking at the trail of smoke. Was it possible that the crate had actually landed on solid ground this time? And if it had landed on solid ground were there other survivors in the area who had also heard the plane and even now wee heading towards the drop to open the crate before I did and take the most essential of supplies from it.

There was no doubt in my mind..... I needed to get there before anyone else. I suddenly ducked my head inside as I noticed the rather large looking zombie standing in the garden outside looking up at me..... or was it looking at the 4 menacing vultures doing large circles in the sky above?

This was not going to be an easy day.

The one thing I hated more than snakes and spiders was the thought that one day I might come face to face with a giant grizzly bear. Unfortunately, that is what happened to me today.

I had found leaflets lying on the street which showed the location of a trader not too far away. It seemed even though the world had gone to hell that there was still an economy of sorts still in place.

Making up my mind to see if the trader had anything I could use, I headed west and soon arrived at a tall structure that looked like a fort. Huge walls around the outside a large iron gate on the one side. Smoke rising from the chimney indicated that there was indeed someone inside.

I noted a small group of zombies on the left was trying to break into the trader. Using one of the many spears I now carried with me I dealt with each zombie one at a time. A shadow flew across the ground and I looked up to see two vultures circling in the sky. 

Not wanting to be attacked by these giant birds, I quickly unlatched the large metal gate and walked into the trader outpost, making sure to close the gate behind me.  There were a number of small buildings in the outpost and I decided to investigate the one on the right from whose chimney the smoke was still rising.

I opened up the door and walked in at the same time as I heard a loud crashing noise coming from the far side of the room. A second later the largest bear I have ever seen broke through the far wall and stood there.... steam coming out of its nose in the cold air of the outpost, looking first at the trader behind the counter and then at me. 

It chose me first and charged.

The zombies were coming at me from the very beginning.... as soon as I took out one zombie another would take its place. Meanwhile, the noise high above me let me know there were vultures circling above me...each with its beady eye waiting for me to make a mistake.

When I woke up that morning I had watched as a large horde of zombies made its way down the street, heading west towards the trader outpost. Something was attracting them to the outpost and I was hoping that whoever was inside had the sense to not cook meat on an open campfire. That was one sure way to bring a zombie horde down upon you.

I had made my way towards the trader and arrived as a huge bear had broken through the outpost wall. The bear had seen me and chased me out the door but thankfully the door was not wide enough for the bear and it got stuck.

The bear was massive in size and it took a long time to kill it. When I went inside to check on the trader he assured me he was OK... apparently when the bear broke threw the wall it ignored him and went after me. If it hadn't done that he would surely have been killed with no place to go behind the counter.

The trader offered me a job to go to an address in town and bring back the supplies in that house. It sounded simple and I could use the payment. 

How wrong I was.

Trader Jen looked at me with a big grin on her face. She could tell that I was desperate for supplies... and that meant she could set whatever prices she wanted... I reached my hand into my pocket, looking for the coins somewhere within. Just as my fingers dug deeper into the pocket, I heard Jen gasp. I looked up and saw a scared look on her face as she pointed toward the door. 

The zombie was huge... much bigger than me. It stood at the door, first looking at me and then at Jen. While I was armed to the teeth Jen was weaponless and had no defense if the zombie should attack her.

As I stared at the zombie i saw Jen out of the corner of my eye quickly duck down and pull on a rope that opened up a trapdoor in the floor. Jen quickly glanced back at me, whispered the word SORRY and disappeared from view, closing the trapdoor behind her.

The big zombie in the doorway growled as he watched her escape. His brain cells had been fried when he had turned into one of the undead. His thought processes  were pretty much limited now and would have no idea how to open that trapdoor and follow Jen.

However, I knew I was a completely different story. As I considered that notion, the big zombie suddenly turned towards me and fixed it's one good eye on me.... and growled loudly.

I woke up earlier today with a parched throat and knew this was a problem that was only going to get worse with each hour.

Opening up my backpack, I looked inside to see what my water rations were like. I had one bottle of boiled water and one bottle of mineral water left.... these were the easy options available to me. I chose the mineral water and sighed as the mineral water immediately quenched my thirst.

Not that I was running out of water but there was a difference between water that was drinkable and the many jars of murky green water that were on the bottom shelf of the storage cabinet.  My stomach turned at the thought of drinking any of that water the way it was. 

Sooner or later I was going to need to work out a way to turn that murky green water into something I could safely drink. Yes I knew how to boil water over a campfire which in the old days gave perfectly safe drinking water. 

But all I needed to do was look out the window at the zombies shuffling aimlessly down the street to remember that I still did not know how this whole pandemic thing had started. No one knew and it was entirely possible that this whole nightmare started because there was a problem with the water. 

If I drank that murky water would I too end up becoming a zombie? 

I looked through a gap in the fence at what looked like a makeshift base someone had hastily put together. What caught my eye straight away were the 2 campervans inside which could be full of food and medicine. The other thing that caught my attention was the moans of half a dozen zombies inside the area.

As a zombie broke it's way through a wooden wall and lurched towards me, I knew this was not going to be easy. I needed to get in there and check out those two campers and hopefully restock my food and water. I also had not forgotten I needed a cookpot as well and there was every chance there was one somewhere in one of those campervans.

I stepped back as the zombie got within feet of me, its dirty fingernails reaching for my face. If it scratched me, I could be infected with any one of a number of viruses that had taken hold after the apocalypse had arrived.

Behind me was a huge drop to the ground, the base being built on top of a cliff to provide better protection against hordes of the undead. I moved across to the side, stepping back slowly one foot at a time while hugging the metal fence, watching as the zombie came out onto the ledge, giving me a look with it's one good eye and then hissing at me.

Remembering that I had the wooden club in my hand, I swung it at its face and grimaced at the sound of breaking bone as the club caved in the side of its face, sending the zombie careening over the edge to the ground below where it finally remained still. 

It was dead... well dead again.

• 1 month later...

The Nightmare Continues | Season 2 (Ep 1)

Many people died on the island in the last 6 months. Well...perhaps saying they died was not exactly correct because each of them is still shuffling their way aimlessly around the island. 
---------------------------------------
Welcome To 7 Days To Die : 6 Months Later on Raven Island

The zombie came out of nowhere...not a growl...not a snarl to warn me it was there. It reached for me with dirty grubby fingers and even as I retreated quickly away from it, I noticed the hands were both stained in blood. How many people on the island had been killed by this thing?

I didn't have time to think more about the question. My back was against the wall and the zombie was once again advancing towards me. This time I could hear a wheezing noise coming from the thing's mouth.... or was it from the jagged hole in it's neck where a zombie had dug its teeth into her.

Yes ..though it was now a zombie this had once been a woman... perhaps a wife and mother to two kids. Whatever her history , it no longer mattered once she had turned.... when you become a zombie there was no cure and no remedy apart from an axe to the head or the blast from a shotgun.

I reached inside my backpack and felt the hard wooden grip of the axe inside. I pulled it out as I ducked past the zombie and retreated a few steps. The zombie turned, glaring at me with pure hatred. 

Gripping the axe in my hand, I took a step forward and swung it at the advancing zombie. Whatever her story had been, it was now well and truly over.

The Flood | Season 2 (Ep 2)

The rain only lasted an hour or two but it was enough to leave huge puddles of water everywhere. As I ran from yet another zombie, I could feel the water drench my socks and leaves a pool of water in my leather shoes.
---------------------------------------
Welcome To 7 Days To Die : 6 Months Later on Raven Island

It was not long before I was able to put more distance between myself and the thing behind me that until a minute ago had been chasing me through the valley. There were more zombies appearing every day and this was bad news. It indicated how many of the survivors were being bitten and turned into one of the undead.

I looked back behind me and came to a stop... the zombie was chasing after a rabbit that had come out of it's hole. The rabbit had stared at the zombie in horror but in wild panic instead of diving back into the safety of it's hole, it jumped out and disappeared into a nearby bush.

A gunshot suddenly rang out..... it sounded like a 9mm. There were a number of houses in the area and it seemed that a survivor was being attacked by a zombie. Another shot...and then a third. I waited for that fourth shot but it never came...instead the shrill sound of a woman which was suddenly cut off in mid scream. The zombies had got her.

I continued on for the next hour getting more thirsty as time went on. I only had 2 bottles of mineral water left in my pack and those could be gone by morning. I needed to find more water desperately, and not the murky water that was found in the abundant lakes on this isle.

I crossed over a small hill, making my way through a forest and emerged in a large valley with an even larger lake in the middle. The water was so inviting yet the green tinge to the water was why it was called murky water and would make me ill within minutes. 

Then I saw the small building on the other side and the huge hole in the ground with barriers up on all sides. The sign indicated it was a coal mine and the barriers were to stop people accidently falling into the mine. Not a very good job though as many of the barriers had fallen over.

Suddenly I heard the  sound of the vulture and I froze.

House Of Zombies | Season 2 (Ep 3)

The vulture flew a lazy circle in the sky above and Lisa McIntire knew it had spotted her. This meant that at any moment the vulture would swoop down and attack her. These infected vultures were far more dangerous than the infected humans or even the feral dogs that had also been infected by the virus. The vultures were smart and they were very quick in their attack. Lisa shuddered as the shadow passed over her head once again. She quickly turned on her heel and ran.

Lisa McIntire had always been a fast runner...it was one of those things she was good at and she put that talent to good use as she ran from the vulture. She could hear the vulture scream from high above and tried to ignore it as she ran from one tree to the next, hoping each tree would provide at least some protection from the vulture above.

While it was a good idea, the number of trees in front of her had completely disappeared leaving a valley with a large lake and not much cover. She was about to double back when she spotted the house not too far away from the mine..... a multi-story building that seemed to be calling out to her as if saying "Hide In Me.... you will be perfectly safe".

Lisa looked up at the vulture which in the last minute or so had dropped closer to the ground. She had two options. Head back where she had come from and potentially get trapped under the trees by the menacing bird... or make a break for the house and deal with whatever zombies she knew were hiding inside.

She chose the latter and ran for the house as fast as her legs would carry her.

• Sarah Steele changed the title to Run And Hide Gamer Series - 7DTD : Day Of The Zombie (Youtube series and a short story based off 7DTD)

Eye Of The Spider | Season 2 (Ep 4)

When Lisa walked into the house she was hit in the face by the worst odor she had ever smelled. It was worse than rotten eggs that had been left in a bag on the porch in the hot summer sun... and that was bad enough. She put her hand to her nose at the same time as she tried not to breathe too much of that foul air. Then a sudden noise came from behind her. She turned around and saw it and froze.

She  had walked part way into the house, shining her torch into the darkest corners making sure a zombie was not in hiding there. She had learned over the last 6 months that an empty room did not necessarily mean it was free of zombies.... for some reason they were always napping behind chairs or hidden in dark corners in bedrooms or the kitchen areas.

She had been half way across the room heading towards the kitchen when two things happened... First her torch ran out of energy , killing the light and turning the room into near darkness. Secondly, a sudden noise came from behind her, causing her to spin around and stare into the shadows near the door.

Some dark shadow was there, just near the door frame. It wasn't small either and was possibly 6 feet in size though it was difficult to be sure of that. Lisa went white in the face, wondering if she had walked past it when she had walked into the room. She banged the torch with her fist, hoping it would somehow bring the batteries to life. Unfortunately the batteries were completely dead now... 

Then the light coming in through the window grew a little brighter, possibly a cloud over the sun had moved to the side revealing the sun and brightening everything down below.

Lisa almost screamed as she saw what the dark shadow was. It was the largest spider she had ever seen and it was staring at her with what looked like angry eyes. Well she thought it was angry. While the eyes had no expression in them at all, she knew by the loud hissing coming from the spider that it was indeed very angry with her being there.

Then suddenly it reared up on it's hind legs, hissed at her even louder before dropping back down on it's front legs and then charging directly towards her.

This time Lisa did scream.

Army Base Zombie | Season2 (Ep 5)

Day of the Zombie Episode 5 7DTD : Grabbing the spear hanging from behind her back, Lisa waved it at the screaming spider as it slowly moved one step closer to her. Lisa had a deep fear of spiders and seeing a monster like this was the last thing she wanted to see. The spider took another cautious step towards her and, as if it had suddenly realized Lisa was afraid of it, the spider rushed towards her.

Lisa screamed and waved the spear at the spider which was still scurrying towards her. She looked frantically around her, hoping to find some weapon she could use against the spider. It was obviously not worried about the spear she was waving at it. Unfortunately there were no weapons anywhere within reach.... survivors had already been in the house and taken everything of value...including weapons.

She retreated from the spider and looked quickly to the side... there was an open doorway to her left but the door was hanging off it's hinges and would not stop the spider. She felt something touch the back of her heal and looked behind her.... an old chair covered with cobwebs.

She picked it up and hurled it at the spider and watched as the chair hit the spider directly in the face.... she didn't wait to see what happened. She ran into the adjoining room and saw a staircase leading up to the next floor.... she took the steps 2 at a time and reached the top of the stairs as the spider rain into the room and started up the stairs. 

There was a long corridor with various rooms leading to other rooms...but the doors were locked with padlocks. She thought that was strange and wondered what was behind those doors. Lisa spotted an open door at the end of the corridor that was open.

She ran inside the small room and slammed the door behind her.

Zombies Vs Landmines | Season2 (Ep 6)

Lisa ran across the room towards the open window as the giant spider crashed into the door.  She heard a splintering sound as a second crash on the door indicating the spider was determined to get her. 

When the door eventually broke off it's hinges, Lisa McIntire had already climbed down the garden trellis that went up the side of the house. She dropped the last few feet to the ground and ran across the dry lawn as she heard the spider scream in rage from the house.

Lisa traveled south for the next few hours carefully avoiding the many zombies along the way. Zombies were not the only problem. There were also large bears, wild dogs, and mountain lions to deal with and in some areas, you could hear the sound of rattlesnakes hissing from the dark holes beneath the rocks.

Making her way across the hill she came across a small town that she started walking towards, but 5 minutes later changed her mind about heading into the town. The sign she was standing next to had the well-known radiation symbol in black on a yellow background, a sign of radiation exposure up ahead.

While the town could have a supply of food and water inside the buildings, it was too risky with the radiation in the area.

She turned north towards a two-story house she had seen on top of a distant hill. Making her way quietly past a horde of zombies passing through the valley, she soon arrived at the front door of the crumbling house.

The first thing she saw was the landmine on the ground in front of the open front door. The second thing she saw was the huge zombie on the other side of the door heading straight towards that very landmine.