ARPG Recommendations Request

lazerblade01

OK, so a little backstory first. My girlfriend doesn't play first-person shooters. Ever. She owns a Playstation 3 and loves games like God of War, but got stuck in the newest one and hasn't played since.

Together, on PS3, we beat Diablo 3 playing couch co-op. We've played Gauntlet, Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom, and a few others.

Then we switched to PC and I handed her my XBox360 controller (I only got it for my PC as I don't actually own an XB360). So, on Steam, I got her all of the Van Helsing games and we've played and beat all 3. I also got her Torchlight 2 but since it doesn't have native controller support and the mod is pretty terrible, she refuses to play it.

So what I'm asking for is this - do any of you know of any action RPG games, for PC, that support controllers, and play like Diablo 3?

We're looking at Grim Dawn and Victor Vran, but Victor Vran is early access and lacks a real story currently. Do any of you have any experience with either of these? Does Path of Exile offer controller support, and if so, is it decent? We want to play private games only, and I know PoE is an MMO with private dungeons / areas (at least it was like that for me when I played it).

I'm on a tight budget, so no $50 games. But spending $15-$20 apiece for 2 copies of a game is doable.

• 2 weeks later...

We've looked at Magicka / Magicka 2. I'll have to get her to play the demo for the first one. Dungeon Defenders looks a bit chaotic.

The biggest requirements are XBox360 controller support and NOT FPS / driving / flying / turn-based / aiming (so third person games where precision is still required for shooting are a no) / fighting (like Street Fighter / Mortal Kombat). She prefers simple / clean GUI, easy to get started, defined goals / quests, and cooperative. If I am going to play any game, I want the ability to save anywhere (or at least frequently - I hate replaying 20+ minutes of a game because of a mistake or death 30 seconds from an auto-save), NOT use a controller, and NOT share a screen.

For reference, here's what we've tried so far:

Scourge: Outbreak (demo) - she hated it because of the need to aim.

Divine Souls - she hated it because it was overly complex and not very controller-intuitive.

How to Survive - we both hate that you cannot turn off friendly "fire", we keep hitting each other. But otherwise, not bad.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Trilogy - we both enjoyed playing them. I loved the depth of RPG elements - leveling up, gear, customization, attributes, skills, etc... She loved that it worked well with the controller, was easy to play, and had depth in that you could do so much. Things we disliked: short games overall, she disliked the tower defense parts, she didn't do any of the commander (send people to do small quests from the strategy table) stuff, she did send her Chimera out a lot for the loot, she didn't like that my character got much stronger than hers despite being the same level (I was Thaumaturge, she was Fighter-class).

Diablo 3 - both enjoyed it, nice long game, but played it on PS3 and I didn't like sharing the screen.

Dungeon Siege 3 - both enjoyed it, decent length, but played on PS3 and I didn't like sharing the screen.

Basically, she prefers console-type games and I hate using controllers unless I'm racing, flying or fighting (like Street Fighter). I prefer having my own screen (so I can open my inventory any time I want and she doesn't even have to know I did it) and being able to stand back or run ahead as needed without having the view area limited based on her character's location.

Hopefully this provides a much clearer picture of what I'm looking for. Searching for "girlfriend-friendly" games is not an easy task, especially when she's a console gamer and I hate consoles.

Assassin's Creed Unity..- its a story based rpg that you can have a group up to 4 play together - Get PC version cause it is only for PS4 or XboxOne - not in your budget but an excellent game

Drakensang Online - Free

Marvel Heroes - Free

Path of Exile - Free

Assassin's Creed Unity..- its a story based rpg that you can have a group up to 4 play together - Get PC version cause it is only for PS4 or XboxOne - not in your budget but an excellent game

Drakensang Online - Free

Marvel Heroes - Free

Path of Exile - Free

Assassin's Creed, all variants, to the best of my knowledge, have parts in them that require aiming - not controller-friendly, even if controllers are supported.

Does Drakensang support controllers? Couldn't find any info regarding this.

I'll try to get her to try Marvel Heroes, I looked at that a couple weeks ago.

Path of Exile doesn't support controllers? Steam doesn't say it does, and their forums state that WASD control will not be implemented, so workarounds, though an option, tend to not work well.

Well, I don't think I have any game that fits what you're looking for, but when I'm looking for coop games, I like to search here: http://www.co-optimus.com/.

Edit: NVM, I see that you already got Torchlight.

Not a very useful advice, but I would consider getting a Nintendo WII-U console.

Great coop games, I would love to play Mario Kart and Smash bros with my brother.

Well, I don't think I have any game that fits what you're looking for, but when I'm looking for coop games, I like to search here: http://www.co-optimus.com/.

Edit: NVM, I see that you already got Torchlight.

Not a very useful advice, but I would consider getting a Nintendo WII-U console.

Great coop games, I would love to play Mario Kart and Smash bros with my brother.

I have a Wii. Not the U, but it works. Honestly, I got it for my kids more-so than anything. I mostly play Wii Sports Resort on it, and a few others, but again, it's a console and I prefer mouse+keyboard, which is why I'm looking for PC games, so she can use a controller, and I can stick with what I like.

I did try Alien Breed 3 Demo. It's definitely controller-friendly, and I got her to try it. She said she thought it was OK, so we may try that trilogy at some point. Although, to be honest, it feels like it needs a gamepad, so I may bite the bullet and try to find my other non-XBox gamepad for myself.

I'm hoping Victor Vran launches soon (she won't play early access games either because she only plays games through once) as it supports controllers and is similar to Diablo / Van Helsing. I really wish there were more of those types of games available that supported controllers. I know keyboard + mouse works well with them, but due to her diabetic neuropathy, she can't play m+kb games for long enough to enjoy.

Try

Barony a kind of game that very fun playing with friends but very depressing single player

Idk this game list has controller support or no, but I play these games and I could say these is good games, mostly single player tho (I hav nu fren ;_; )

Titan quest

Eternal Senia <- Free , cons no options to toogle feelings on / off

Hero Siege

Vertical Drop Heroes HD

Pixel Piracy

And maybe survival together like Don't Starve Together?

the first 2 " The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing" are pretty good

grim dawns a EA game I backed before it went to steam, but its pretty fun (if you liked titan quest games, its the same developers)

Yeah, we already beat all 3 Van Helsing games.

Grim Dawn doesn't support controller, and there's no plan to add support. Basically, because it doesn't have WASD control, it cannot be mapped to a controller without creating a scripted mod. Also, Titan Quest has the same issue. We tried Torchlight with the mod for controller, but she didn't like how non-intuitive it felt.

As I said, we're still waiting for Victor Vran. She also discovered Dead Rising 3 (which I thought involved driving and shooting, but apparently these are optional). Now I just need to wait for it to go on sale, because $30 apiece for 2 games is a bit steep for justifying entertainment purchases, especially when I'm trying to save up for a lawyer to get custody of my son.

Planet Explorers should be on your radar. It is early access and has slowed waaaaaay down on the development pace so you should wait for a sale or be happy with its current state because I doubt escape velocity will be reached....

It has controller support, is not first person, can be played co-op, includes survival, exploration, rpg, and building elements all in a smooth voxel based world. It has a main story line which is unfinished and glitchy causing some story-line required quests to be unfinishable. But if she enjoys sandbox survival and building and exploring without the need for a story this might be one she'll be willing to play more than one time through.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/

Planet Explorers should be on your radar. It is early access and has slowed waaaaaay down on the development pace so you should wait for a sale or be happy with its current state because I doubt escape velocity will be reached....

It has controller support, is not first person, can be played co-op, includes survival, exploration, rpg, and building elements. It has a main story line which is unfinished and glitchy causing some story-line required quests to be unfinishable. But if she enjoys sandbox survival and building and exploring without the need for a story this might be one she'll be willing to play more than one time through.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/

Thanks. I actually already have this. I think the shooting / gun stuff will put her off, but I know it also has melee. It may be too slow-paced for her though. She's very fickle when it comes to games.

At this point I may be better off just making a game in Unity that has what she wants. I am going through some tutorials now for third person isometric game design. We may find something before I finish even a single level but if I make it myself I can always expand it with new stuff or make a sequel.

I know it sounds pretty ambitious, but I've been learning for a while now - years actually - about game design, development, coding, 3D animation / modelling, textures, scripting, etc... I've used the Unreal Editor, 3D Studio Max, Lightwave, Photoshop, piddled around in Unity, and used numerous other editors. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try. And if I come up with something fairly decent, I'll give it away for free so others with the same struggle as me can enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding one of your questions on Path of Exile, yes it's an MMO, but if you and your gf want to play together without running into other people, that's entirely possible too, as all of the zones are instance, and only the hubs are MMO, if that makes sense. At least, that's how it went when I last played over a year ago.

A few of the ones I would recommend have already been recommended. To try to throw in some others: Sacred, Borderlands, Kingdoms of Amalur, Risen.

Archived