Burning shaft mod generate heat?

Rotor

8 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

If you are in SP, go into debug mode hit F8 twice and see for yourself. I don´t think it does though.

It depends on what we are talking about exactly.

If by heat we mean to counter being chilled, then yes it does

player holding a torch

<passive_effect name="HypothermalResist" operation="base_add" value="7">

Player using the burning shaft mod

<passive_effect name="HypothermalResist" operation="base_add" value="4">

If we are talking about affecting the heatmap, it doesn't seem to affect it - but if it does, probably no more than holding a torch would.  However, this one is tricky (at least to me) as the torch is both an item and a block (item when equipped by the player and a block when placed on a surface) while the mod is only a mod that affects the item

7 hours ago, Rotor said:

I understood the torch to be a Z magnet,

I think that's more about your visibility, but it has turned into a rumor about torches.. you can't sneak too well with a flame in hand, but if you're not even crouching, you shouldn't worry about one.

21 hours ago, Rotor said:

OiC, I understood the torch to be a Z magnet, so I never use heh.

When I equipped the burning torch mob, I did not have any more zombies show up at night than usual.

I put a torch and three candles in my base. I don't have a problem with it attracting zombies and or screamers.

I am careful about how long I leave my forge and fireplace on. Never for more than 5 minutes while I'm there and I rarely have them both going at the same time.

Yes El Cabong, I also use cooking fires, chem stations and forges for only as long as I need them while in SP, then shut them down. However, I have recently been playing with a group who thwarts this concept. They load up everything with fuel, turn the damn things on and leave them burning, even during horde nights. 4 forges, 2 cooking fires and 2 chem stations. Mind you, the base has steel grate fence all around, and auto turrets. Many screamers throught the game day, and if the turrets don't get them and the screamer is bashing on the front steel door, someone just goes and takes her out. These guys don't live in fear. Suppose there's a stage in gameplay where its a case of 'Come and get me'. For me in SP. I err on the side of caution just like you.

Early on the name of the game is survival - you gotta watch your back, front, and sides. You gotta scrounge for everything from food to resources.

Then you hit a point where survival isn't tough but levelling up is, and you want MORE zombies attacking because they're more and more and more XP. Then it's not about surviving the zombies, it's about hunting them.

11 hours ago, Khyron said:

Then it's not about surviving the zombies, it's about hunting them.

Yeah, but on our conditions, not theirs)

It's effective to grind them in the specially prepared meat grinder horde base, not out in the open or in tight skyscraper rooms with lower framerate...

But another important question is, does the burning shaft mod reduce stealthiness?

Edited by Ray Garraty (see edit history)

interesting thread.

i play 98% sp, and crank forges and chem stations and all sorts and rarely get screamers.

dont use burning shaft as its too much effects for my old eyes unless there are no other mods to hand.

dont be afraid of screamers. do your thing until one shows up and then dial the factory back a bit.

and then start a screamer farm a wee way (1 or 2 chunks) from your base and have some fun  🙂

i think i noticed the other day that they showed up when doing a lot of nail gun upgrading. do we know if upgrading generates heat?

i play vanilla settings, sometimes up one difficulty level if i am feeling particularly murderous. any higher is just too much like hard work.

Upgrading blocks generates a lot of heat. You're pretty much guaranteed at least one wandering horde before nightfall. As far as I know the flaming shaft mod does not generate extra heat. It used to not effect stealth but I haven't used one much with the way sneaking and light sources work now in A20.

On 7/13/2022 at 10:34 PM, Melange said:

Yes El Cabong, I also use cooking fires, chem stations and forges for only as long as I need them while in SP, then shut them down. However, I have recently been playing with a group who thwarts this concept. They load up everything with fuel, turn the damn things on and leave them burning, even during horde nights. 4 forges, 2 cooking fires and 2 chem stations. Mind you, the base has steel grate fence all around, and auto turrets. Many screamers throught the game day, and if the turrets don't get them and the screamer is bashing on the front steel door, someone just goes and takes her out. These guys don't live in fear. Suppose there's a stage in gameplay where its a case of 'Come and get me'. For me in SP. I err on the side of caution just like you.

A moat 2 or 3 blocks wide, spikes, no windows and you can leave everything running 24/7. I hardly ever deal with screamer hordes when i don´t want to. Only if i meet them when going out of the base or returning home. And that can be avoided with a tunnel entrance easily.

And there is no screamers during hordenight. That´s the one night where you can leave them running in SP. Just time it so they run out of fuel right before 4:00

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)