Digging treasure...am curious if anyone else does this.

Gamida

For a very long time now whenever I do a quest to dig up something I always mark it on the map and check it later. I have found that after a while (maybe same thing as regular loot)

it has respawned items. I have even checked holes others have dug and found some half decent stuff in their treasure chests so I also mark anyone elses I find.

Was wondering if anyone else did this as I have mentioned on occasion to others on servers and they have no idea what I am going on about.

I have noticed that the quest container respawns. I have on occasion marked them to reloot later, but usually I don't take the time. I guess I could tie that in with when I do the trader restock runs. Wonder if the larger loot containers (high tier quest) respawn as well, never checked. I would assume that they would, at worst you may have to use the loot respawn trick &leave some trash in the container if you are going to be near/around the container at all. Will science this later.

But it only respawns when you have loot respawn enabled after some time, right?

I always have loot respawn disabled and the only time when a treasure "respawns" is when I accept another treasure map that happens to be at the very same location of an old one I have already dug up.

3 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

But it only respawns when you have loot respawn enabled after some time, right?

I always have loot respawn disabled and the only time when a treasure "respawns" is when I accept another treasure map that happens to be at the very same location of an old one I have already dug up.

If I remember to, I will check back after trader refreshes for any maps I get (just started a new playthrough so not yet there on digging up treasures).  I have my game set to loot never respawn like you do.

6 hours ago, Gamida said:

For a very long time now whenever I do a quest to dig up something I always mark it on the map and check it later. I have found that after a while (maybe same thing as regular loot)

it has respawned items. I have even checked holes others have dug and found some half decent stuff in their treasure chests so I also mark anyone elses I find.

Was wondering if anyone else did this as I have mentioned on occasion to others on servers and they have no idea what I am going on about.

Isn't that a bug actually?

I think treasure chests shouldn't respawn stuff, it's immersion breaking and counter-intuitive IMO.

21 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I think treasure chests shouldn't respawn stuff, it's immersion breaking and counter-intuitive IMO.

I think he is talking about the buried supplies quests now that I looked at the code:

Treasure chests

<!-- cntBuriedLootStashChest, treasure_taylor etc -->
<lootcontainer id="61" name="buriedTreasure" count="1" size="8,9" destroy_on_close="true" sound_open="UseActions/open_chest" sound_close="UseActions/close_chest" loot_quality_template="qualPlus1Template">

Buried supplies chests

<!-- cntBuriedWeaponChest -->
<lootcontainer id="122" name="buriedSuppliesT2" count="2,3" size="8,9" sound_open="UseActions/open_chest" sound_close="UseActions/close_chest" loot_quality_template="qualBaseTemplate">

I seem to recall (though I didn't paid too much attention) that the treasure chests were destroyed after you close them.  It looks like the buried supplies chests are missing the code to destroy on close 

destroy_on_close="true"

I will add this line to my mod and see if they destroy on close now.

33 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

It looks like the buried supplies chests are missing the code to destroy on close 

If you go mess with that, check how badly the quest jams if you don't get the quest item... the non-droppability of the supplies makes me think that's somehow related; if in nothing else, then just in design of "we won't let you mess this up too badly"

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

If you go mess with that, check how badly the quest jams if you don't get the quest item... the non-droppability of the supplies makes me think that's somehow related; if in nothing else, then just in design of "we won't let you mess this up too badly"

Yeah, I think I will try it, but on a different game save though.  I don't want it to mess up my current playthrough (and based on what you said, I have to purposely fail the quest 😉  )

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I seem to recall (though I didn't paid too much attention) that the treasure chests were destroyed after you close them.

yes, ive had that happen to me. Actually i cancelled mid looting (to swap to loot goggles) which caused the chest to be destroyed and auto-failed my quest, even though I technically got the loot in the form of a backpack

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

21 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Maybe, but I don't see it as any worse than any other loot container in the world. I mean if you dug up a chest and it had couple cans of food, couple bottles of water or tea and a book or 2, I wouldn't lug around the huge chest I would just put the gear in my backpack and be off.  As for it respawning...maybe it is the same people who are going around refilling all the other chests, crates, cupboards, fridges, stoves, toilets, trash piles, cars, mailboxes, news stands, vegetable stands, school lockers, desks, medicine cabinets, washers, dryers, book cases, vending machines, purses, suitcases, barbecues, dumpters, trashcans, etc. :)

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

It doesn't destroy when you loot it because those Buried Treasure quests are shareable, and if it went *poof* after the first person looted it, the other party members couldn't get the supplies to turn in. On a related topic, the zombie ambush doesn't pop until the mission holder gets the supplies, so we usually have that person go last so everyone else is out of the hole and ready to rock and roll!

11 minutes ago, Cranberry Monster said:

It doesn't destroy when you loot it because those Buried Treasure quests are shareable, and if it went *poof* after the first person looted it, the other party members couldn't get the supplies to turn in. On a related topic, the zombie ambush doesn't pop until the mission holder gets the supplies, so we usually have that person go last so everyone else is out of the hole and ready to rock and roll!

As someone that only plays SP, I didn't think of that.

ive done this in single player occasionally. I eventuelly make the "digsite" more appealing. so i just walk up to the spot where the chest should spawn, and dont have to dig again

In my experience the trader quest chests persist but the little yellow note ones despawn when you take the last item from them. If memory serves, all loot containers respawn loot after a certain point, unless you've adjusted it. 

I've found that it's not uncommon to re-do the note quests with the same name "Sarah's buried treasure" or whatever, and sometimes have it respawn in the same chest I just dug up. If it's marked, it saves you dig time if it spawns back in that spot. It's also not uncommon to have those change locations, but they seem to cycle. 

This has been my experience.