Dishong Tower Challenge

Zilox

On 8/22/2022 at 5:28 PM, seven said:

Yes, not all, but some of types do. If you start cutting them and it says 1000 hp skip it, but if it's 100hp keep cutting and you'll get some materials. A few types give more rare items.

Woah! Mindblown!

So I see there have been some revisions to the rules.

Inititally:

"You may build bridges off the side of the building to reach things, but those bridges must support themselves and cannot touch the ground."

Later:

"You may build bridges off the side of the building to reach things, but those bridges must support themselves and cannot touch the ground, bridges cannot be build out from the ground floor of the tower. You may not place blocks outside of the bounds of the tower (not including the porch) if you are on the ground floor. You may still place blocks anywhere inside the tower ground floor."

Now:

"You may build bridges off the side of the building to extend your area for farming, but those bridges must support themselves and cannot touch the ground. Bridges cannot be built out from the ground floor to reach areas out of bounds (anything outside of the tower beyond the porch is out of bounds) You may not place blocks outside of the bounds of the tower (not including the porch) if you are on the ground floor. You may still place blocks anywhere inside the tower ground floor."

So, this means that the planters around the building are off limits? Either for growing plants or digging up for clay? I think the mod is now back to the impossible again. Unless we are expected to collapse the building.

9 minutes ago, seven said:

So I see there have been some revisions to the rules.

Inititally:

"You may build bridges off the side of the building to reach things, but those bridges must support themselves and cannot touch the ground."

Later:

"You may build bridges off the side of the building to reach things, but those bridges must support themselves and cannot touch the ground, bridges cannot be build out from the ground floor of the tower. You may not place blocks outside of the bounds of the tower (not including the porch) if you are on the ground floor. You may still place blocks anywhere inside the tower ground floor."

Now:

"You may build bridges off the side of the building to extend your area for farming, but those bridges must support themselves and cannot touch the ground. Bridges cannot be built out from the ground floor to reach areas out of bounds (anything outside of the tower beyond the porch is out of bounds) You may not place blocks outside of the bounds of the tower (not including the porch) if you are on the ground floor. You may still place blocks anywhere inside the tower ground floor."

So, this means that the planters around the building are off limits? Either for growing plants or digging up for clay? I think the mod is now back to the impossible again. Unless we are expected to collapse the building.

Yes this was originally not allowed, so we changed the rules to make it more clear.

Edited by Zilox (see edit history)

55 minutes ago, Zilox said:

Yes this was originally not allowed, so we changed the rules to make it more clear.

In MidnightDesigner's original mod it was allowed. You could build bridges to reach things outside the tower as long as your bridge did not touch the ground or have any supports. If you are talking about before that it seems like people played by a number of different rule sets.

In MidnightDesigner's own words regarding bridges:

12 hours ago, seven said:

How does this make it impossible?

There's plenty of nitrate and rotting flesh from zombies, and clay is infinite (craft dirt and dig it back up for net gain).

the only things that could possibly be of any use outside the tower are farm plots. There are so many farm plots inside the tower now, it makes that issue moot.

There are potted plants everywhere that give clay when dug up, there is destroyed stone that is reachable from inside the tower that gives clay, as well as a bunch of it on the upper floors, there is clay soil in loot, and as Dan said:

1 hour ago, FranticDan said:

There's plenty of nitrate and rotting flesh from zombies, and clay is infinite (craft dirt and dig it back up for net gain).

Absolutely possible to complete. Trust me, I completed it on Friday! :)

7 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Yeah, you can cheese the clay, but I don't do that.

5 hours ago, Hells_Janitor said:

the only things that could possibly be of any use outside the tower are farm plots. There are so many farm plots inside the tower now, it makes that issue moot.

There are potted plants everywhere that give clay when dug up, there is destroyed stone that is reachable from inside the tower that gives clay, as well as a bunch of it on the upper floors, there is clay soil in loot, and as Dan said:

Absolutely possible to complete. Trust me, I completed it on Friday! :)

So, I did a test. I started a new game with a bunch of skill points so I could max out miner 69r. I then went through the whole building harvesting potted plants, farm plots and and all the destroyed stone.

Clay harvested maxed miner69r: 2335

Clay needed for gyro chassis steel: 1875, or 1500 with max engineering

Clay needed to craft crucible: 900

That's 2400 already. And that's not saving any farm plots to grow food.

Now we do get some steel in loot. In my current attempt at day 49 I think I have 14. So, eveeentuuuuaaaalllllyyyy we can get enough steel, but at day 49 the challenge is already just tedious. I have all materials to craft the gyro and gas except the knowledge to craft the crucible and the gyro itself. So, it's just grinding for skill points or schematics at this point. I have stacks of meat, lots of water. There is no challenge anymore.

Ok, there is some clay in loot which isn't counted for in my test, but in my game there hasn't been that much.

I also didn't consider breaking through the walls and digging what I could reach outside. But to me that doesn't really seem any different than building a bridge and digging it up. And that rather contradicts "the only things that could possibly be of any use outside the tower are farm plots".

Edit: After writing that I just realized I screwed up. It's motherlode I should have maxed. So, that does change the numbers a lot, if you wait and put points there before doing any harvesting.

I'll still say, if the idea is to bring back the original challenge, bridges to reach materials outside was part of it.

Edited by seven (see edit history)

1 hour ago, seven said:

Yeah, you can cheese the clay, but I don't do that.

So, I did a test. I started a new game with a bunch of skill points so I could max out miner 69r. I then went through the whole building harvesting potted plants, farm plots and and all the destroyed stone.

Clay harvested maxed miner69r: 2335

Clay needed for gyro chassis steel: 1875, or 1500 with max engineering

Clay needed to craft crucible: 900

That's 2400 already. And that's not saving any farm plots to grow food.

Now we do get some steel in loot. In my current attempt at day 49 I think I have 14. So, eveeentuuuuaaaalllllyyyy we can get enough steel, but at day 49 the challenge is already just tedious. I have all materials to craft the gyro and gas except the knowledge to craft the crucible and the gyro itself. So, it's just grinding for skill points or schematics at this point. I have stacks of meat, lots of water. There is no challenge anymore.

Ok, there is some clay in loot which isn't counted for in my test, but in my game there hasn't been that much.

I also didn't consider breaking through the walls and digging what I could reach outside. But to me that doesn't really seem any different than building a bridge and digging it up. And that rather contradicts "the only things that could possibly be of any use outside the tower are farm plots".

Edit: After writing that I just realized I screwed up. It's motherlode I should have maxed. So, that does change the numbers a lot, if you wait and put points there before doing any harvesting.

I'll still say, if the idea is to bring back the original challenge, bridges to reach materials outside was part of it.

Which version of the mod are you running for that playthrough? 

56 minutes ago, Zilox said:

Which version of the mod are you running for that playthrough? 

For my testing and current game modinfo says 2.0. I'll retract my comment about impossible. I rarely put any points in motherlode since resources are so easy to get and I tend to forget about it. I just put points in miner69 to take out blocks quicker. With a couple points or so in motherlode it should be doable. Maybe even just 1.

33 minutes ago, seven said:

For my testing and current game modinfo says 2.0. I'll retract my comment about impossible. I rarely put any points in motherlode since resources are so easy to get and I tend to forget about it. I just put points in miner69 to take out blocks quicker. With a couple points or so in motherlode it should be doable. Maybe even just 1.

I think both the mining perks would be beneficial to get for the challenge, to gather resources quickly.

Made a little companion mod to Zilox's Tower Challenge Map:
https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/2398

It's meant for all people that can't enforce virtual rules on their own :)
It will physically punish you for not obeying the rules as set out by the challenge!
No cheating allowed; OK, you can still enable cheat mode; but seriously, obey the rules :)

- Rules are only enforced if game world is "Dishong Tower Challenge"
  Get it from https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/2310
  It's important that you use that exact map for it to work
- You should spawn on the porch of the tower (new or join game/no bedroll)
- Every ground-level block is "lava" and is trader protected (no digging down)
- You can only build blocks outside the tower if 3 blocks above ground
- You can drive outside, but exiting the vehicle in the open -> lava ground
- Trader areas can also be accessed safely, if you can get there ...
- Dedicated Server support has been checked and should work (tm)
- Win condition is to be attached to a gyro in a trader that has 3 wheels on ground

teaser.thumb.jpg.3d92952c1205b68bdcae27b5ec0f23ba.jpgwin-message.thumb.jpg.ec04d8958921c3edf0495bd68ab73071.jpg

Edited by ocbMaurice (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Zilox said:

I think both the mining perks would be beneficial to get for the challenge, to gather resources quickly.

I mean, I beat it on Day 21, before the 3rd blood moon. I spent so much time farming screamers for nurses and bikers that I actually levelled past the needed amount, so had a couple points to spare, which went into motherlode. Relooted the tower at least twice, and about 2/3rds of it on the 3rd loot run.

Mining perks are a luxury, very helpful to be sure, but not necessary for completion. :)

47 minutes ago, ocbMaurice said:

It will physically punish you for not obeying the rules as set out by the challenge!
No cheating allowed; OK, you can still enable cheat mode; but seriously, obey the rules :)

- Win condition is to be attached to a gyro in a trader that has 3 wheels on ground

This is interesting. I may have to do another run and test this myself ....

12 hours ago, ocbMaurice said:

teaser.thumb.jpg.3d92952c1205b68bdcae27b5ec0f23ba.jpgwin-message.thumb.jpg.ec04d8958921c3edf0495bd68ab73071.jpg

Where can I find installation instructions, please?

15 hours ago, ocbMaurice said:

Oooooooooh this looks interesting!!! Thanks for sharing! 

4 hours ago, theoilver said:

Where can I find installation instructions, please?

It's a regular (Non-EAC) mod you add beside the original Dishong Tower Challenge Mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/2398 (Enforcer Mod)

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/2310 (Tower Challenge Map)

Download and extract into Mods folder and disable EAC, that's all.

• 3 months later...
On 8/28/2022 at 11:14 PM, ocbMaurice said:

I'm currently *almost* done reworking this for Alpha 21.2 ...

Any chance this Challenge Enforcer can be revived/shared again?

On 10/2/2023 at 2:33 PM, Hells_Janitor said:

I'm currently *almost* done reworking this for Alpha 21.2 ...

Any chance this Challenge Enforcer can be revived/shared again?

It would be better to make a new post for the new version you are working on. I have updated it for A21 some time ago, but only fixed compatibility issues, you can upload the new version there as well if you wish, just send me a message on discord or something https://7daystodiemods.com/dishong-tower-challenge-a21/

Edited by Zilox (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Zilox said:

It would be better to make a new post for the new version you are working on. I have updated it for A21 some time ago, but only fixed compatibility issues, you can upload the new version there as well if you wish, just send me a message on discord or something https://7daystodiemods.com/dishong-tower-challenge-a21/

okey dokey.

Just a few more tweaks for balancing the mod from me, and it'll be ready :)