Dishong Tower Challenge

Zilox

9 hours ago, KatsPurr said:

Once looted, make sure to put "an item inside".  If you don't put an item inside, every time you run past, you'll end up resetting the respawn timer. Having an item inside protects it from resetting.

Since i normaly play with loot respawn off.

What do you mean put "an item inside".
You mean inside the looted box some junk item (it will be lost i guess) or place a block at the floor ?

7 hours ago, Canute said:

Since i normaly play with loot respawn off.

What do you mean put "an item inside".
You mean inside the looted box some junk item (it will be lost i guess) or place a block at the floor ?

The idea is that you leave some item inside the loot container, like a single plant fiber. Later you come back and take the fiber out and get out of the container. The container then resets, will now say "untouched" and you can loot it again. What I am not sure of is how to know when you can take the item out to let it reset. I also play no loot respawn.

14 hours ago, seven said:

Thanks for the tip on leaving an item. I've read about that before but I've always played with loot respawn disabled so didn't really pay attention. Obviously we need respawn for this challenge and was wondering if it would work since I never leave the area. This run seems like a lost cause but maybe I'll continue and see if I can survive long enough for loot to respawn and maybe find some antibiotics. I have a few thousand hours in the game but I've never gone to 100% infected before. Something new.

I didn't make it. I searched the whole tower again hoping to find some med I missed but didn't find anything. So, as 100% approached I took a coffee and some blueberry pie to the roof to watch the sunset. I ate my last meal, and fell over dead.

Hi again.  Great mod.  Really having fun dying over and over :)... really it's infections that are the issue.  It seems one "touch" w/o armor and I'm infected.  I am wondering if it would be possible to change the biome to the desert?  Also, are you simple sol if you wrench (assuming you can find a wrench) the few cement mixers/table saws and don't get an engine?  Vanilla has very few loot drops and an engine loot drop would be pretty insane. Thanks for your help with these questions.

Yes, infections are I think the biggest danger. More sources for an engine were added in the latest version.

"30% chance of engines from wrenching broken or working Vending Machines, Fridges and Freezers"

I think there are enough broken ones of those to almost guarantee an engine. Of course assuming you can find a wrench.

@Zilox just a question about the percentages listed. Does your "Salvage operations" skill have any effect on that number? Or are your percentages completely independent of the effect of Salvage operations?

If it has no effect, I'm thinking that maybe the first thing I should do (once I get a wrench) is go through the building and ensure that I'm able to get all the needed bits and pieces before investing days of time to work on everything else. Up till now I haven't touched the machinery at all as I've been waiting to get 5/5 points into Salvage operations, thinking I'd have to have the full 5/5 points before your percentages actually apply.

Which would I prefer from a gameplay perspective? I love grind and I love hard work, so for me, I'd prefer to have to work hard to get the 5/5 Salvage Operations to be able to "enjoy" the benefits of those percentages you list. But ONLY if after all that work, it actually pays off and the likelihood of being able to complete the challenge becomes 100% possible. Because it would suck to work hard, only to end up never being able to finish the challenge after all. 

9 hours ago, seven said:

Yes, infections are I think the biggest danger. More sources for an engine were added in the latest version.

So I just realized yesterday that "The Brawler" perk would help with avoiding infections. "Punches to the head negate infection ability"

Up till now I've either gone bladed or club. But I'm gonna start a fresh run and give brawling weapons a try! Will report back later with my findings to see if it actually did help!

9 minutes ago, KatsPurr said:

@Zilox just a question about the percentages listed. Does your "Salvage operations" skill have any effect on that number? Or are your percentages completely independent of the effect of Salvage operations?

If it has no effect, I'm thinking that maybe the first thing I should do (once I get a wrench) is go through the building and ensure that I'm able to get all the needed bits and pieces before investing days of time to work on everything else. Up till now I haven't touched the machinery at all as I've been waiting to get 5/5 points into Salvage operations, thinking I'd have to have the full 5/5 points before your percentages actually apply.

Which would I prefer from a gameplay perspective? I love grind and I love hard work, so for me, I'd prefer to have to work hard to get the 5/5 Salvage Operations to be able to "enjoy" the benefits of those percentages you list. But ONLY if after all that work, it actually pays off and the likelihood of being able to complete the challenge becomes 100% possible. Because it would suck to work hard, only to end up never being able to finish the challenge after all. 

So I just realized yesterday that "The Brawler" perk would help with avoiding infections. "Punches to the head negate infection ability"

Up till now I've either gone bladed or club. But I'm gonna start a fresh run and give brawling weapons a try! Will report back later with my findings to see if it actually did help!

The salvage operations only increases the amount of items you get, not the probability of getting them. Also for those interested I have a discord server for support with modlets, and talking about modding and such in general. https://discord.gg/7ZreyEqZYM

I have everything I need for the gyrocopter except steel, wheels, gas and a battery. The battery I can craft once I get grease monkey, but steel (crucible), wheels and gas require oil or oilshale. That can drop in the chem piles but those don't respawn, and I didn't get any oilshale. Oilshale is a rare drop in cement mixers but it will take a lot of lucky drops to get enough. Am I forgetting something, or is this a problem?

On 2022/8/7 at 午後11時52分, seven said:

、100%が近づいたので、コーヒーとブルーベリーパイを屋根に持って行き、夕日を見ました。私は最後の食事を食べて、倒れて死んでしまいました。

>< ! W

15 minutes ago, duanethebathtub said:

Great mod.  I've tried this challenge in both vanilla and Darkness Falls.. it seems in vanilla I had very few zombies coming in from outside.  Any way to turn that up?

Darkness falls has a lot more wandering zombies than vanilla. There are some modlets out there that increase the amount of wild zombies, that would be your only option.

On 8/11/2022 at 4:32 PM, duanethebathtub said:

Dang... had a good start, found honey, had a working vending machine on floor 3 but then fell off the ledge by the munitions box on 3rd.  Didn't realize there would be even MORE zombies by the bathrooms on 3rd than Darkness Falls :)

Yeah, that's a good start.

My top tip for the mod is, "if you get infected before you find an antibiotic just start over". The chances of finding enough to save you seems remote. I've made 4 attempts now. First time I died by getting stuck by a table. Two times I've died from infection (well, second time I jumped off the radio tower at 99.9). The fourth run I've given up on when I realized there was no way for me to get gas anymore. Be careful what you salvage.

On 8/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, seven said:

Yeah, that's a good start.

My top tip for the mod is, "if you get infected before you find an antibiotic just start over". The chances of finding enough to save you seems remote. I've made 4 attempts now. First time I died by getting stuck by a table. Two times I've died from infection (well, second time I jumped off the radio tower at 99.9). The fourth run I've given up on when I realized there was no way for me to get gas anymore. Be careful what you salvage.

Lol... On my current run things are going well.  On day 15 just waiting for day 17 2nd looting.  I thought there was no way to get mechanical parts as I've wrenched all things I've known but then I found out you can wrench office chairs for them.  That's great as I've been axing them.  I've been watching your DF series.  Couldn't you just cheese the food situation and build like 10 bee hives???

32 minutes ago, duanethebathtub said:

Lol... On my current run things are going well.  On day 15 just waiting for day 17 2nd looting.  I thought there was no way to get mechanical parts as I've wrenched all things I've known but then I found out you can wrench office chairs for them.  That's great as I've been axing them.  I've been watching your DF series.  Couldn't you just cheese the food situation and build like 10 bee hives???

I posted a new update yesterday that added some more chances for oil and mechanical parts. You should be able to continue your current save game.

4 hours ago, duanethebathtub said:

I've been watching your DF series.  Couldn't you just cheese the food situation and build like 10 bee hives???

Oh did seven do a DF series as well? Can you share the link? I'd love to check it out!

Back when I did my own Darkness Falls Dishong Tower Challenge, I should have totally just cheesed it with beehives but didn't realize yet at the time that honey actually feeds you!

9 hours ago, KatsPurr said:

Oh did seven do a DF series as well? Can you share the link? I'd love to check it out!

Back when I did my own Darkness Falls Dishong Tower Challenge, I should have totally just cheesed it with beehives but didn't realize yet at the time that honey actually feeds you!

I think he's mixing us up, or forgot a quote. I don't have any videos posted. And I'm doing vanilla with all constraints mentioned in the first post.

In my longest attempt I found that food wasn't an issue after a while. With the generous harvest and cheap seed production in the mod I soon had plenty corn, potatoes, pumpkins and mushrooms. It's just the first week or so that's a problem.

Anyway, after another failed attempt I think I'm done with this. With the low drop rate of antibiotics, infection is pretty much a death sentence which is particularly annoying when crawling zombies can hit you through doors and hatches. I again cleared the building and survived the first horde but did get infected on day 4. On the second looting I actually got one honey but at 85% that's not going to do anything and I won't survive until the next loot respawn.

Maybe 1 of the good anti-biotics could be added to the initial care package?

Great!

2 hours ago, seven said:

I think he's mixing us up, or forgot a quote. I don't have any videos posted. And I'm doing vanilla with all constraints mentioned in the first post.

In my longest attempt I found that food wasn't an issue after a while. With the generous harvest and cheap seed production in the mod I soon had plenty corn, potatoes, pumpkins and mushrooms. It's just the first week or so that's a problem.

Anyway, after another failed attempt I think I'm done with this. With the low drop rate of antibiotics, infection is pretty much a death sentence which is particularly annoying when crawling zombies can hit you through doors and hatches. I again cleared the building and survived the first horde but did get infected on day 4. On the second looting I actually got one honey but at 85% that's not going to do anything and I won't survive until the next loot respawn.

My bad.  I thought I was replying to KatsPurr.  I watched some of her Darkness Falls series.  I have a lot of time in Darkness Falls and thought to just do beehives or traps for food.  Thus, no worries on food or infections at all.  However, there would be a ton of zombies.  I also tried it in Apocolypes now.  wow.  Not good.  First day within hours I had feral soldiers and radiated zombies chasing me.  Gave up on that one.  lol.  So, I'm currently doing a vanilla playthrough.  On day 16 I think.  I have a good stock of food and antibiotics.  Not sure how I will make steel cause I don't have a crucible.  Can't recall if I can make one or not in vanilla.  Also, to level up is tough as there are not that many zombies to fight in vanilla. 

Edited by duanethebathtub (see edit history)

3 hours ago, seven said:

So my two problems doing the challenge with the mod:

#1 Infection

#2 Getting a to a point where I've already cleared the building, I've looted everything, I've salvaged all the wood/metal etc. and there is nothing to do but wait around for:

1. zombies to come in for killing
  2. the next loot container respawn to come in
  3. the next blood moon 

I've restarted this challenge (using the mod) around 5 times now and each time I get to a point where there is nothing to do. 

So why am I not using my time to start building the gyrocopter? Probably because I'm obsessed with getting all the salvage operations points in before I start salvaging all the goodies for engines etc. I just want to maximize my chances of getting the highest amount of these resources when I do go and wrench them. 

And what's stopping me from getting all the salvage operations? Levels! And what's stopping me from that? Waiting around for mobs and blood moons!

This behavior of mine, is not a fault of the mod of course. I mean... I could start salvaging machinery straight away after getting a wrench. But my anally methodical and thorough personality type won't let me haha! 

So, the question is posed - is there anything that can be done about the "rules" to alleviate this issue? I guess only that there would be some flexibility. The rules state that default settings are recommended. But perhaps there could be some wiggle room in XP %, Difficulty settings, Zombie amounts, Animal amounts etc etc. 

41 minutes ago, duanethebathtub said:

Great!

My bad.  I thought I was replying to KatsPurr.  I watched some of her Darkness Falls series.  I have a lot of time in Darkness Falls and thought to just do beehives or traps for food.  Thus, no worries on food or infections at all.  However, there would be a ton of zombies.  I also tried it in Apocolypes now.  wow.  Not good.  First day within hours I had feral soldiers and radiated zombies chasing me.  Gave up on that one.  lol.  So, I'm currently doing a vanilla playthrough.  On day 16 I think.  I have a good stock of food and antibiotics.  Not sure how I will make steel cause I don't have a crucible.  Can't recall if I can make one or not in vanilla.  Also, to level up is tough as there are not that many zombies to fight in vanilla. 

Ah right! And yeah beehives totally make sense. And yeah also suffering with the level up issue (see my response to seven)

Edited by KatsPurr (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, KatsPurr said:

So my two problems doing the challenge with the mod:

#1 Infection

#2 Getting a to a point where I've already cleared the building, I've looted everything, I've salvaged all the wood/metal etc. and there is nothing to do but wait around for:

1. zombies to come in for killing
  2. the next loot container respawn to come in
  3. the next blood moon 

I've restarted this challenge (using the mod) around 5 times now and each time I get to a point where there is nothing to do. 

So why am I not using my time to start building the gyrocopter? Probably because I'm obsessed with getting all the salvage operations points in before I start salvaging all the goodies for engines etc. I just want to maximize my chances of getting the highest amount of these resources when I do go and wrench them. 

And what's stopping me from getting all the salvage operations? Levels! And what's stopping me from that? Waiting around for mobs and blood moons!

This behavior of mine, is not a fault of the mod of course. I mean... I could start salvaging machinery straight away after getting a wrench. But my anally methodical and thorough personality type won't let me haha! 

So, the question is posed - is there anything that can be done about the "rules" to alleviate this issue? I guess only that there would be some flexibility. The rules state that default settings are recommended. But perhaps there could be some wiggle room in XP %, Difficulty settings, Zombie amounts, Animal amounts etc etc. 

Ah right! And yeah beehives totally make sense. And yeah also suffering with the level up issue (see my response to seven)

I've done 5 attempts as well. First one I died on day 3 when my character got stuck. Three times I've died (or would soon die) of infection after clearing the building and fighting the first BM. I rarely die to zombies playing this game but I do get hit and get infections and with such limited source of antibiotics it really is I think a problem with the challenge.

My other attempt I got to about day 60. I had iron and clay set aside for steel making (and about 30 steel from loot). I had the headlights, electrical, etc. I had a crucible schematic and material to make it. Except for the oil, which I also needed to make tires. With the updated loot settings for oil maybe I would have been ok. Except while waiting and doing busy work I decided to salvage the cement mixers. That was a mistake. After the first looting destroys any chem piles those are the only source of oil shale for gas, and I had found none. The rules do mention you can increase the zombies. What I did to pass the time was set BM to every 3 days, otherwise, yeah, you get to the point where you're just waiting around for the next horde, or loot reset.

17 hours ago, seven said:

I've done 5 attempts as well. First one I died on day 3 when my character got stuck. Three times I've died (or would soon die) of infection after clearing the building and fighting the first BM. I rarely die to zombies playing this game but I do get hit and get infections and with such limited source of antibiotics it really is I think a problem with the challenge.

My other attempt I got to about day 60. I had iron and clay set aside for steel making (and about 30 steel from loot). I had the headlights, electrical, etc. I had a crucible schematic and material to make it. Except for the oil, which I also needed to make tires. With the updated loot settings for oil maybe I would have been ok. Except while waiting and doing busy work I decided to salvage the cement mixers. That was a mistake. After the first looting destroys any chem piles those are the only source of oil shale for gas, and I had found none. The rules do mention you can increase the zombies. What I did to pass the time was set BM to every 3 days, otherwise, yeah, you get to the point where you're just waiting around for the next horde, or loot reset.

As this mod is meant to be a fight for survival, with food and water being scarce, waiting around for zombies to respawn is part and parcel of the challenge. The latest version of the mod is MUCH closer to the A19 version; which took me 3 attempts to clear.

Some tips for you:

Always reseed lootable containers with anything you can find like plant fibres, broken glass, paper etc. As long as the container has one item in it, you will be able to re-loot that container after the respawn timer has expired.

You MUST have loot respawn on for this to work. I'm certain that it would be impossible to complete without it.

Don't start wrenching the "important" items (work lights etc) for things that you will absolutely need to craft the gyro. Maxing out Salvage Operations will be a big help with the number of items you can get from these salvageable blocks. (you get given a wrench after the first quest step, á la A19)

Everything you need to craft the gyro, and any other items that you need to craft can be obtained in the tower, but planning is key. Game stage and loot stage can play a factor in this, so if you don't need to loot it, leave it until you do.

Obtaining oil and acid in this challenge has always been ... well, a challenge, BUT the ability to find acid has been improved, the ability to craft acid has been added, and the recipe for oil has been lowered drastically. The challenge is no longer impossible, but it is a grind. (the Wasteland Treasures book for acid from med cabinets is now a quest reward too)

18 hours ago, KatsPurr said:

Levelling can get a bit stale, waiting around for zombies and such, but Screamer farms are totally within the rules - craft up a bunch of campfires, fuel them up with wood and let them burn - before long you'll have so many zombies you won't know what to do with them all :)

If you can wait to raid the main loot room - wait. Again, game stage and loot stage matters here. If you don't need it, don't get it.

Hunger and thirst can be a real problem in the first few days, but there are so many farm plots in the new tower, and a lot more outside if you want to build a bridge to them, that you should be able to get a farm going fairly easily - as long as RNG is on your side with crop foods. If you get lucky with working vending machines, there should be eggs too :)

Infection can be a real issue, so firstly - don't get hit! Secondly, nurses have a chance to give antibiotics on harvesting them, so harvest those dead undead nurses, and check your working vending machines for honey ...

I'm looking forward to giving this a proper play through, as I'm one of the guys who made the changes :)

4 hours ago, Hells_Janitor said:

... The challenge is no longer impossible, but it is a grind...

I was going to say "what mod are you talking about" but then I saw the first post was updated with a new version.

I wouldn't say the previous version was impossible. I'd say more like start the game, roll 5 dice and if you get a straight you might win. Otherwise, start over. In my one attempt that went to day 57 I was doing reasonably well. By that time I had looted a few honey/antibiotics. I had the recipes for crucible, oil, gas, etc. I was prepared to keep going but then I had a stupid moment and wrenched the mixers and lost any chance of oil shale. Except for that, and getting hit, I pretty much do all your tips. I've downloaded the update and it does look more achievable. Still not easy, but not completely reliant on good rng. I'll likely give it another shot.

When you say harvest zombies, do you mean loot bags? Or chop them up?

Edit: Ah, checked entityclasses. I guess it's chop them up.

Edited by seven (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Hells_Janitor said:

As this mod is meant to be a fight for survival, with food and water being scarce, waiting around for zombies to respawn is part and parcel of the challenge. The latest version of the mod is MUCH closer to the A19 version; which took me 3 attempts to clear.

Some tips for you:

Always reseed lootable containers with anything you can find like plant fibres, broken glass, paper etc. As long as the container has one item in it, you will be able to re-loot that container after the respawn timer has expired.

You MUST have loot respawn on for this to work. I'm certain that it would be impossible to complete without it.

Don't start wrenching the "important" items (work lights etc) for things that you will absolutely need to craft the gyro. Maxing out Salvage Operations will be a big help with the number of items you can get from these salvageable blocks. (you get given a wrench after the first quest step, á la A19)

Everything you need to craft the gyro, and any other items that you need to craft can be obtained in the tower, but planning is key. Game stage and loot stage can play a factor in this, so if you don't need to loot it, leave it until you do.

Obtaining oil and acid in this challenge has always been ... well, a challenge, BUT the ability to find acid has been improved, the ability to craft acid has been added, and the recipe for oil has been lowered drastically. The challenge is no longer impossible, but it is a grind. (the Wasteland Treasures book for acid from med cabinets is now a quest reward too)

Levelling can get a bit stale, waiting around for zombies and such, but Screamer farms are totally within the rules - craft up a bunch of campfires, fuel them up with wood and let them burn - before long you'll have so many zombies you won't know what to do with them all :)

If you can wait to raid the main loot room - wait. Again, game stage and loot stage matters here. If you don't need it, don't get it.

Hunger and thirst can be a real problem in the first few days, but there are so many farm plots in the new tower, and a lot more outside if you want to build a bridge to them, that you should be able to get a farm going fairly easily - as long as RNG is on your side with crop foods. If you get lucky with working vending machines, there should be eggs too :)

Infection can be a real issue, so firstly - don't get hit! Secondly, nurses have a chance to give antibiotics on harvesting them, so harvest those dead undead nurses, and check your working vending machines for honey ...

I'm looking forward to giving this a proper play through, as I'm one of the guys who made the changes :)

Awesome tips.  I am also currently in a waiting state but totally forgot about the screamer farm idea.  Thanks for the cool mod.

14 hours ago, seven said:

When you say harvest zombies, do you mean loot bags? Or chop them up?

Edit: Ah, checked entityclasses. I guess it's chop them up.

Hmm.  You can chop up/harvest the zombies???

1 hour ago, duanethebathtub said:

Hmm.  You can chop up/harvest the zombies???

Yes, not all, but some of types do. If you start cutting them and it says 1000 hp skip it, but if it's 100hp keep cutting and you'll get some materials. A few types give more rare items.