Learning Creative Mode isn't a fun curve.

Nunhappy

I recently wanted to try creative mode to test build some horde bases. Initially I generated Navezgame default map and turned on DM and CM. I quickly realized that I can not used the hotkeys "J' and "K' to delete or replace blocks due to TFP removing it from non world editor maps. So I generated a world editor map. I was then able to use "J' and 'K' with no issue to delete and replace blocks. But now the zombies wont attack me when I try to test the base. I cant find a single article providing insight on the issue. I gave up and quit to take a break. I've spent 3 hours now trying learn and figure out how things work with creative mode. To the point it creative mode isn't even fun anymore. I can't build anything because I spend 90% of my time trying to learn how something works. Not only that, most of the time I never find an answer and I am left clueless. Is there any reference material on how to use creative mode? Usually youtube helps but the videos available don't even come close to explain the basics. They skip over so much that I am left more confused than when I started watching the video. 

So.. Why don't zombies attack me in world editor?

Can I fix this? What can I do?

How do I fill in a blank 10x10x10 space with steel blocks? Considering you can't "override" blank spaces that have no blocks requiring you to manually place everything?

I already know.. I am probably missing alot. But that again is part of my explanation. How am I supposed to know these things that other players know without googling anything? Trial and error is the only way I have found out to learn this creative mode. Unless of course you have google or youtube.

Creative Mode is super fun, but annoying because there is no explanation for literally anything. I wish devs would provide some help with creative modes knowing that their playerbase would utilize it. I fell in love once I learned how creative mode really works (I haven't learned everything), and I can't stop playing. But there is no introduction at all for anyone who wants to learn creative mode. Because of this, I feel alot of new players are off-put due to confusion and decide to not pursue creative mode in the long run. 

To delete blocks, grab the digger tool (development tools tab in CM, search for digger).  Should be a purple SMG.  Target the block and tap the trigger to shoot it once to delete the block - careful, every bullet automatically deletes a block it hits so don't go full auto with it

There are some other developer tools in the tab that are usable in CM, though I only tend to use the digger tool really.

As for zombies not attacking, are they even moving?  If you are in DM mode, you might have accidently turned off zombie AI trying to figure things out.  If I am remembering correctly, the * key on the numpad will toggle Zombie AI on and off.

I don't much care about importing/exporting prefabs/horde bases. I merely want to test build before I invest into metal structures in case the build doesn't work. I play solo and am extremely conservative with my mats. 

No, the zombies aren't even moving. They just stand there with their animations. I spawned in about 5 Arlenes and they never moved. I am in world editor so I am assuming DM and CM are enabled by default. I did google it but pressing the "*" key did not do anything at all. 

8 hours ago, Roland said:

The editor is purely for creating prefabs and not for testing horde night. You would need to build your base in the editor and then import it into your game. I don't know how to do that but people do in the modding forum so you might ask there.

Sorry, I was completely wrong. I loaded the editor and loaded a prefab and then clicked on playtest. I built my own little horde base next to the prefab. Then I changed the time to Day 7 and 21:50 and a horde night started and I defended my little base. You would probably need to giveself a lot of xp to raise your gamestage in order to get a decent horde and change the day to maybe Day 35 but you can definitely test horde nights in the editor. My bad!

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

55 minutes ago, Roland said:

Sorry, I was completely wrong. I loaded the editor and loaded a prefab and then clicked on playtest. I built my own little horde base next to the prefab. Then I changed the time to Day 7 and 21:50 and a horde night started and I defended my little base. You would probably need to giveself a lot of xp to raise your gamestage in order to get a decent horde and change the day to maybe Day 35 but you can definitely test horde nights in the editor. My bad!

You can just spawn in a horde yourself with the F6 menu. Just spawn whichever types of zombies you want to test and fire a few rounds to get their attention. Would simulate an actual horde well enough to see the results I would think. :)

9 hours ago, bdubyah said:

You can just spawn in a horde yourself with the F6 menu. Just spawn whichever types of zombies you want to test and fire a few rounds to get their attention. Would simulate an actual horde well enough to see the results I would think. :)

Someone also a fan of jawoodle? :D