Renting and setting up a third party server

Prydonian

Hello, all.  I’m sure there must be threads about this somewhere, but my searches aren’t finding them.  

Does anyone have a recommendation for which service to rent server space from?  And, as this sort of thing is entirely outside my range of experience, maybe a link to a detailed explanation of how to get it running?  A friend and I have been playing with his machine acting as host, and we want to migrate that file so we can both access it at any time.  

Thanks!

If he has an older computer laying around and has a half decent internet connection he could just set up a home server.

I used my old computer when I got my new one. Set server up on my living room and me and my neices son use to play on it.

I could leave it running so he could join when he wanted. Don't even think it has to be that powerful to act as server.

I think there should be a post out there somewhere about setting one up.

On 6/17/2022 at 9:13 PM, Gamida said:

If he has an older computer laying around and has a half decent internet connection he could just set up a home server.

I used my old computer when I got my new one. Set server up on my living room and me and my neices son use to play on it.

I could leave it running so he could join when he wanted. Don't even think it has to be that powerful to act as server.

Interesting idea.  I’ll mention it, but I doubt he’ll go for it.  I’m surprised there’s no consensus on which services to use or avoid… surely there must be.

On 6/17/2022 at 9:13 PM, Gamida said:

I'm shocked, but he actually did go for it!  Now I just have to figure out how to do it... Thanks for the suggestion!

7 hours ago, Prydonian said:

I'm shocked, but he actually did go for it!  Now I just have to figure out how to do it... Thanks for the suggestion!

I think there may be info here and there in the multiplayer section suggesting how to go about it.

Hope it works out for you. And enjoy yourself.

I have a few suggestions,

Mainly your gonna need skills on Linux OR pay for windows server 2019 or 2022.

I can help with the set up etc,

I can recommend Data Centres i have used in the past.

You can PM me and i can go over details as needed.

Costs will be higher then what your used to.

Otherwise i am currently using gameservers.com