What are the Pimps doing with their millions of $?

Kyonshi

I see a lot of folks on various social media outlets claiming that the Pimps arent doing enough and that with 14 millions of copies sold, things should be way faster and better and bugless and whatnot, than this.

Im not personally questioning the whereabouts and the schedule and roadmap of TFP. I've watched the livestreams, i read the announcements here. I know enough to realize that the amount of work is colossal and that the TFP staff is hard at work.

But apparently, the Pimps are scammers who just wanna get our monies. So, let's do this. What are the Pimps doing with those several millions of dollars made from those 14 millions copies? Im not expecting to have all the paperwork disclosed, that figures and columns be laid out in front of us, but let's put the cards of the table here (like the Pimps arent transparent enough with all the interactions they conduct with the community...)!

Im dressing up my topic with a sarcastic tone yeah, but im also genuinely curious about this. Just so i can shut down the hecklers and clueless morons who claim @%$# but arent able to back it up.

Edited by Kyonshi (see edit history)

Well, $100k a year, 10 people, 10 years = $10M .. just for salaries. Double that for equipment and space. If they've earned $10 / copy, they could keep a team of about 50 for a decade and ... that's not too far off.

Tons of studios go out of business even with a great game because of mismanagement of their funds and overextending themselves. TFP is being managed by people who know how to handle money and who have an eye for the future. The Huenink Brothers were already millionaires before they started this venture and were obviously successful at business management when they decided to create this game.

Some Joe Randos might criticize that the game has taken too long a time to develop and that TFP is blundering about and mismanaging things. But when you look at the results we see a couple of brothers who worked hard and managed well enough in business to become independently wealthy, and then used that to get a working prototype of a game going that would inspire a successful Kickstarter campaign, and then managed their indie studio and grew it and attracted the talent they needed to deliver a fantastic game that is a great hit even before its full release and despite its lengthy development timeline. They don't plan to stop with this game but have another already in early development and a few other concepts in the planning phase. So where is all their money? Its working hard to ensure that all of this actually happens.

As for the Joe Randos who think they know better? Let's see their results. Let's see the fruits of their labor. Let's see their hit game and their growing game studio. Let's see if they are doing much beyond spending their time playing the game that TFP created. 

And to be honest, "it's a private company" applies perfectly here. They've made promises on kickstarter, but beyond those, what they do with the income is entirely up to them. I'd be perfectly fine with Huenink's just cashing out a $100M.

They seem to want to create a great game, so plenty of the income is being invested back; but that's just bonus, and a show of character :)

Unless you are in investor then you are not entitled to know. You bought a product and you received it. That's their only contractual obligation to you. It's also a fallacy to believe that every penny of sales goes to them, and that it all amounts to straight profit. They're not politicians.

1 hour ago, Urban Blackbear said:

Unless you are in investor then you are not entitled to know. You bought a product and you received it. That's their only contractual obligation to you. It's also a fallacy to believe that every penny of sales goes to them, and that it all amounts to straight profit. They're not politicians.

Yeah, lots of people seem to think that the $25 they spent was an investment and they are members of the board....lol

16 hours ago, Fox said:

Hookers and blow... what else would they want to spend that kind of money on? I mean, they are "fun pimps" after all, right? :p

dammit ya beat me to it

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

Yeah, lots of people seem to think that the $25 they spent was an investment and they are members of the board....lol

This is so true with early access.

You bought a copy of the game, you got a copy of the game. That is it and nothing else, if you want to be invested in the company either buy stock or in the Fun Pimps sense reach out to them and say “I want to buy a part of the company for x dollars”

Joe Rando here. I protest the use of my name for the shenanigans on this website! Though you are right in one point, I actually do know better.

And I have a great idea for a game, so the difficult part is already done.

I think the proper way to see this game is as a temporary business. You invest time and money into making the game/ business really profitable, and as long as it's continuing to make profit, you continue to work on it to keep that hype and money flow. Once the money flow starts turning into negative profit (whether there's a player base or not), then the work stops, just like every other successful game that has ever existed.

The roughly 200ish million dollars they've received for this game over the years is completely irrelevant to this game's future, as you don't continue to spend into it if there's no more money to be made anymore (that's just considered dumb business practice). This is a world filled with greed after all. My guess is they're keeping as much as they can stored away so they can invest into a brand new possibly larger project later without the need for kickstarter (although, it wouldn't surprise me if they did it anyway, because why not?).

Edited by Fox (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Roland said:

"Silent Members"  that are not so silent :)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Joe Rando here. I protest the use of my name for the shenanigans on this website! Though you are right in one point, I actually do know better.

And I have a great idea for a game, so the difficult part is already done.

shadup Joe :)