67.5% diseased. finally found 2 jars of honey. Won't cure me. Should I take them anyway?

ElCabong

4 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

Can we get a live ticker here about your infection percentage, please? How is it going?

Well I got reinfected at 47%. It got back up to 53% until I received some antibiotics as a mission reward. Now it is at 19.  I have six jars of honey and two herbal antibiotics. I'm going to survive. Sorry to disappoint all my fans.

Oh, I must have chopped down 50 tree stumps get those six jars of honey. They are rare in this random gen I played other random gems where I had plenty of honey starting out from day one. Weird!

3 hours ago, ElCabong said:

Well I got reinfected at 47%. It got back up to 53% until I received some antibiotics as a mission reward. Now it is at 19.  I have six jars of honey and two herbal antibiotics. I'm going to survive. Sorry to disappoint all my fans.

No disappointment from me! Good on you for actually working to survive in a survival game instead of just giving up for an easy way to drop the debuffs.

Personally I think the frantic search to find a cure adds tension and that's fun to me. Admittedly grinding out tree stumps in a quest for honey isn't that exciting, the joy you get when you do get some honey really gives a burst of enthusiasm and that's a nice little rush :)

Edited by Khyron (see edit history)

What it really comes down to is if you accept or reject the premise that you're trying to survive. If you do, then the choice is clear: take the honey. I happen to think of this as a survival game, so that's how I would play. Even if you're not playing permadeath, and you would respawn and keep playing, dying would mean you lost that 'round' of trying to survive. Death is failure in a survival game, even when there's flexibility in what happens afterwards.

--

On 6/14/2022 at 1:13 AM, eXSe said:
On 6/13/2022 at 5:29 PM, ElCabong said:

Luckily I found a trader Bob that had one in his chemistry station when I was at 92.3 percent. I'm at 89.7 and falling

So, the zombies are really unsure what to do with you at first glance, eh?

While I don't exactly interpret 90% infection as meaning that you are 10% human and 90% zombie, this could be a cool feature. As you get increasingly desperate and throw caution to the wind hunting for a cure, at least the zombies are a bit less sensing of your presence at higher levels of infection. I think it's cool for a game to adjust the blend of challenges like that, instead of merely tacking more onto the baseline.

Edited by Crater Creator
formatting (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

While I don't exactly interpret 90% infection as meaning that you are 10% human and 90% zombie, this could be a cool feature. As you get increasingly desperate and throw caution to the wind hunting for a cure, at least the zombies are a bit less sensing of your presence at higher levels of infection. I think it's cool for a game to adjust the blend of challenges like that, instead of merely tacking more onto the baseline.

I agree that it would be fun to have infection work that way.

But, to be honest, the way infection is handled in the game all points to this infection not being THE infection (IMO).

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

I agree that it would be fun to have infection work that way.

But, to be honest, the way infection is handled in the game all points to this infection not being THE infection (IMO).

That’s true, it is more of a “normal bacterial Infection” , as honey/antibiotics “cure” it, and it’s not “antiviral” meds… but it is a good idea. There are some mods that add “more infections” and I wonder if you could add “zed virus” as a possible debuff, and “antiviral” pills.  Then if there were a way for feral sense to be “turned down” or stealth to be “turned up” via the buff, you would have an interesting time as it would be beneficial to have a constant level of “zed infection” going (that you would have to manage) to help protect you from being sensed.  There was another mod where if you wore a suit of clothes the zeds would not sense you unless you attacked… so maybe it’s do-able. 

I feel a debuff to the vision would help balance this. You can’t be sensed easily at high zed infection rate, but you also have tunnel vision/blur/etc making it hard to easily loot/run around. Maybe even throw in low jump height and random stumble/ragdoll (this might have been removed as a callable player effect). It would be useful for to maintain a midrange of infection Vs “oops I let it go too far” and you’re really hobbled. 

3 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

and I wonder if you could add “zed virus” as a possible debuff, and “antiviral” pills.

I'm sorry, there was a misunderstanding... I'm not a dev, or even a modder! :embarassed:

4 minutes ago, doughphunghus said:

I feel a debuff to the vision would help balance this.

Or increased hunger and food consumption. :croc:

In my games, I don't like to die.  Thats the game.  Staying alive while doing things that should kill me.  

Eat the honey.  Keep looking for more cures, even honey.  Find 13 honey quick enough and you cure yourself :D

Remember that it doesnt just "cure" 5% of the infection.  It rolls it back slowly a point at a time over a several minutes for 5%..  This buys you time.  You are supposed to use it in the first few minutes of infection to get rid of it.  But you can also use it to buy yourself an extra 5 minutes each dose to look for more cures, and the cures everywhere.  Chop every stump.  Check every medical cabinet and cubbard.  I have cheated death many times with no cures on me when I got inffected by doing exactly this.  If you have dukes ore sellables then hit every vendor you know of.  

DONT PANIC!

you got this.

Let dying be what the other guys do.  On my last play through with a team.  After about a month of playing I had just a few hundred less kills than the top guy.  He had a hundred deaths or so. I had 2. Make staying alive your goal in a survival game.  A fun challenge.

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm sorry, there was a misunderstanding... I'm not a dev, or even a modder! :embarassed:

Or increased hunger and food consumption. :croc:

I was just thinking out loud and writing my thoughts ;)  I wasn't making a mod request!

4 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Or increased hunger and food consumption

This would be nice too. Since starvation is death, have it start burning through your food resources (as the food isn't filling you up as much anymore, its not brains) so you can only sustain a "constant zed-like existence" to get the full power of being partially undead only when you get your food/farming/etc under control.  Make it one of those end game goals ( be mostly zed and do whatever you want) but allow it to be used when you think you can (accessible early game, as the vaccine can be looted). I feel "making the vaccine" should be heavily gated or not possible so you can't easily stay a forever 95% zed).

I think getting shot should do less damage, but as you "un-zed" yourself, you get more and more of the damage affecting your health. In this way you could, in theory, "become a zed" (not 100% though) and attack other peoples bases as you would be much more bullet proof (like a boss zed), but unable to really shoot guns.  It might be fun for people to play against 'live" zeds.  But since you are likely to get shot a lot, it will be hard to un-zed yourself, as you'' have to do it a little at a time, constantly fighting the infection and healing it. Maybe if you "die a zed" then you lose your bedroll or land claim or both ;)  make it a punishment vs everyone just going full zed.

I don't know why I keep writing about this as I'm not going to attempt to make it, it just seems an interesting mechanic if it were do-able. Hopefully someone else will be inspired

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)