Is there a way to change the “repair distance” of a tool?

Just wondering..I like having super long arms and being able to upgrade/repair when building with the current distances that are used (like 5-6 blocks?) but it feels a bit … unfair…To be able to repair traps and blocks from such a great distance during horde night.

also: same with putting down new blocks: awesome when building, kinda feels bad during horde night. I can see the zeds faces go from happy to sad as I repair things from great distances. I had an entire horde once just give up and shamble away, slower than usual, as I repaired my electric fences from afar. I was like “hey. Hey! Base is open again! I’m delicious! Hello! Hello?” But they faded off into the distance. My words, arms, and heart were sadly not long enough to reach them anymore. 

So: is there away to shorten tool repair distances? If nothing else it would be nice to have (as example) some variation where stone axe is super short (1 block), hammer a block farther, nail gun another block farther.

why? Well, “unfair” is vague but I think if you’re going to have traps/blocks and defenses it would be nice to be somewhat forced to have access panels/tunnels/etc to have to make to get to these traps rather than “I can reach 5 blocks out and repair that blade trap while safe behind this wall/bars/etc. 3 blocks for the nail gun still feels a bit far as you could conceivably be hiding behind bars and “reach across” a halllway and repair a trap on the other side of the wall.

Bonus: any way to shrink the distance to open doors/grab zed bags/open containers? I want to be right in front of them to access, not “I opened this stove while in the doorway so I didn’t wake the zeds”. I actually saw a tear running down a zeds face as he stood there, unable to move, as I quietly looted nearby. They try so hard. They deserve better.

I thought we could adjust ranges in the items.xml file. Not sure but thought I did see something about range in there.

<effect_group name="meleeToolRepairT0StoneAxe">
      <passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="base_set" value="6" tags="perkMiner69r" />
      <passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="base_set" value="21.5" tags="perkMiner69r" />
      <passive_effect name="AttacksPerMinute" operation="base_set" value="105" tags="perkMiner69r,axe" />
      <passive_effect name="StaminaLoss" operation="base_set" value="8" tags="primary" />
      <passive_effect name="DegradationMax" operation="base_set" value="112,300" tier="1,6" tags="perkMiner69r" />
      <passive_effect name="DegradationPerUse" operation="base_set" value="1" tags="perkMiner69r" />
      <passive_effect name="MaxRange" operation="base_set" value="2.4" tags="perkMiner69r" />
      <passive_effect name="BlockRange" operation="base_set" value="3" tags="perkMiner69r" />

Not sure if these are for the stone axe. Some modder will be along any second to let you know :)

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)