Simple Yet Effective Inventory Management Improvement

vangogh94

I'm not a forum dweller so if similar thing was already proposed, my apologies. I've just created my account to post this, that's how much I want it to change. If you think its good pls let the devs know about this, I think it will help the game a lot.

The worst thing about 7dtd (at least for me) is loot management. It does not exist. Big chunk of time goes to sorting the loot after coming back from any type of outdoor activity. Its tedious, its dreadful, its game killing, especially if you pick up almost everything because you know you'll need it at some point. There is a solution, ULTRA simple one which would remove this problem completely.

We do have the two buttons that were introduced not too long ago, the box with 1 arrow and another box with 3 arrows, and these buttons move inventory from your character to a container you have opened. I think this was a marvellous step to the right direction, job done, but unfortunately it is not actually usable. I'll focus on the box with 1 arrow since the one with 3 arrows is not good for loot management. 

In your inventory you always keep repair kits, food and drinks, lockpicks and medic items, forged iron, dukes and ammo. That's the very least you need to go out of your base and scavenge. Therefore often times you don't want to use the 1 arrow box because you'll lose something from inventory that you need. Then you need to manually figure out what you've lost, and if it was multiple items then its not easy.

Now the solution - just make inventory slots lockable (only your character inventory, not chest inventory, or maybe both if you think it would be useful to have lockable slots in chests). That's it. Items in locked inventory slots can not be "removed" via the 1arrow box click. Also items in locked inventory slots are not sortable (clicking on sort would not touch them). So during gameplay if there is an item I intend to keep with me, I lock its slot or move it to an empty locked slot. You would do this rarely because items you keep would not change often. In any case, with this I could come back to base and spend 15s on loot management, instead of 5min. I just come, click on all my 10-20 themed chests and use the 1arrowbox button, and I can already go out again while being sure I have everything I need with me. For me it would make the game at least 2x as good, I'll get to focus on the game and not be straining my eyes multiple times per ingame day looking at which item should I keep in my inventory and which I should move out.

It should be very very simple to implement. How exactly could you do it, I guess long left click (or right click) on an inventory slot should pop-up the lock/unlock menu similar like when you long press E on a door. Simple. And how to visually indicate that an inventory slot is locked - well either put a lock sign on lover left corner of the slot, or maybe even better, do something with the slot color. Color options - change the background color of locked slots from current gray to maybe dark gray or black, another option is to beef up the slot border and make it black, maybe do both colorings because some items like the paintbrush cover the whole slot with a red color, so the border will help in those cases.

Edited by vangogh94
wanted to indicate what the buttons with arrows are (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Thunderbolt-GER said:

I'd like to see it as standart feature of the game too.

Until then, you might want to have a look at this: https://7daystodiemods.com/lockable-inventory-slots/

Was about to post the same thing. Agreed, would be great to have a feature like this in vanilla. It's not the most elegant solution, but this mod gets the job done. I think there are other mods that have lockable inventory slots that handle this a bit differently (locking slots by hovering then pressing X, and they're color-coded) but they're packaged in a larger overhaul mod, and I prefer vanilla.

On 6/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, Thunderbolt-GER said:

I'd like to see it as standart feature of the game too.

Until then, you might want to have a look at this: https://7daystodiemods.com/lockable-inventory-slots/

Nice, this is what I wanted :D this really needs to be standard feature of the game, the mode is awesome even with missing features (no color coding and resets on every playthrough)

On 6/9/2022 at 3:07 AM, John Black said:

The of course you also have the master of all inventory mods(opensource) that include deposit, restock and locking.

-- https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/1357?tab=description

That is interesting, but for me (playing on a dedicated server) it would be complete useless, because:

• Easy anti cheat (EAC) must be disabled for this mod to work
  • This mod is primarily meant for singleplayer. It does work on multiplayer, however it has not been tested with multiple people. It's a known issue that items may be lost if one player has a container open and another quickstacks to it in multiplayer

For SinglePlayer only, it might be attractive tho :)