Any good custom props tutorials?

59 minutes ago, Cranberry Monster said:

, arcade cabinets,

Hold up there @Cranberry Monster! The reason I was asking is @JohnnyKix made a request for a arcade cabinet prop. They were specifically asking for some thing that was actually playable, but I figured making a basic prop would be a good start. If you have one I’m sure he’d be interested! I will still watch what you’ve shared as I’d like to make a pinball machine prop too.

Yeah, I mentioned it because I saw that thread, but was holding my tongue because some of the games I've done are from companies that take a very dim view of emulation or even fair use (and I live in a country where fair use is almost non-existent, and those same companies are based). Making them playable is beyond my ability and would be inviting a legal slap down, and even the state I have them in (with audio/video clips for the attract mode) feels like thin ice. I can point you to an excellent source for models, especially for arcade cabs and some pinball if memory serves. 3D Warehouse has an awesome collection of models made by hobbyists that can be downloaded as Collada files and brought into Unity and made ready for 7D2D. Search for cabs by a user named Gozer and you'll be stunned at how many he modeled.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/collection/4ac3dc12784cb20bd06e6be4f8954ac/Arcade-cabinets-by-Gozer?sortBy=createTime DESC&searchTab=model&hl=en

Seriously, it's like, "Merry Christmas!" Now that I look at it, I see that he has a bunch of Stern pins in there, too. A great place to get started with Unity modding, and I'll be glad to give any help I can (I could see adding some audio to those pins and setting the sound to roll off as you walk away so the loop doesn't drive you crazy).

In Unity, the main adjustments that need to be made are scaling the models down--most will be like 100x what you need. You'll also find that while SketchUp has no problem with co-planar faces, Unity will give you z-fighting. There's also the occasional texture weirdness, but it beats starting from scratch.

Hello guys, thx for reading my request. You put a smile on my face. Some suggestions: Is t still legally a problem if the mod end user needs to download a rom and put it in the specific mod folder?

otherwise how about an arcade machine tide to a video file? If playing with emus is not possible, can we make the arcade machine play a video at users choice? just like the mod "video player" somekind.

And hell yes, a pinball machine would be fantastic.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:04 AM, JohnnyKix said:

Hello guys, thx for reading my request. You put a smile on my face. Some suggestions: Is t still legally a problem if the mod end user needs to download a rom and put it in the specific mod folder?

otherwise how about an arcade machine tide to a video file? If playing with emus is not possible, can we make the arcade machine play a video at users choice? just like the mod "video player" somekind.

And hell yes, a pinball machine would be fantastic.

Yeah, I really can't do anything on the emulation front. If I had that kind of skill, I'd be doing this for a living.

I'm currently putting some final polish on the set of video games my friends and I have been using on our server since Alpha 19.3 or so. There are about 20 classic games, all with working video loops of the "attract mode" you see in the arcade, marquees glow, etc. For the games where there's no attract mode or a short, boring one, there's a snippet of game play. Sound rolls off so you don't hear it more than 5 meters from the machine. Machines with sound also come as a helper block, so you can choose a silent version of the same. Parts can be found in world, games can be crafted, picked up and moved, and they don't require any power. I'll let you know when it's finished.

• 3 weeks later...