Parts in POIs - Not Showing; Not Resetting?

zztong

I have not personally seen this, but I did get a report from @v1712 that parts in POIs were not resetting, though this came from a conversation about POIs being placed then moved in Navezgane. After this conversation I did go into one of my RWG worlds, and selected a few quests in POIs I knew had parts, damaged the parts, then started the quests and the parts did reset for me. So I couldn't reproduce the issue, but there may be specific circumstances I'm not aware of.

I got a report from the same person.

As I think about it, I wonder if the Part selection only happens during RWG. That is, once the map is built, the Parts are baked into the POI for that location on that map. When you say the Parts did reset, did they reset back to the same Parts that had been there before, or did you get a new variation?

4 hours ago, zztong said:

I got a report from the same person.

As I think about it, I wonder if the Part selection only happens during RWG. That is, once the map is built, the Parts are baked into the POI for that location on that map. When you say the Parts did reset, did they reset back to the same Parts that had been there before, or did you get a new variation?

when you reset a poi it is possible the reset changed and rolled a no part this time role. (Unless you have set it to 1) 

42 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

when you reset a poi it is possible the reset changed and rolled a no part this time role. (Unless you have set it to 1) 

I mentioned that to the person who reported it to me. This sounds like it may be an issue specific to this user and the way he's placing and then moving POIs, or he may have done something which has affected his ability to reset Parts specifically. I think we'd need more info, or reports from other players to make an accurate diagnosis.

5 hours ago, zztong said:

When I did my tests they reset to the same variation, but that may have just been the way the probability rolled. I only tested a few POIs until I was satisfied the Parts were resetting.

Edited by Deverezieaux (see edit history)

I have some parts with a 20% probability and it feels like they never show up, or show up more rarely than 20%, but the problems with my observations is they're few enough and far enough between that I could just be full of crap.

Yeah i have seen this with the football stadium from CP. Not even a chunk reset helped. But it wasn´t missing when i got there, it was complete from the outside and also when i entered it from inside, After ~5mins a big part of the north wall just dissappeared.

But i am playing DF with a map that only contains CP buildings (well nearly, the DF buildings for quests and DF ores and a few vanilla that are needed are still in) so i was pretty sure it was because of that. But doesn´t seem so.

Edit: I just realized you mean the parts in the parts folder. Not random walls going missing.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Yeah i have seen this with the football stadium from CP. Not even a chunk reset helped. But it wasn´t missing when i got there, it was complete from the outside and also when i entered it from inside, After ~5mins a big part of the north wall just dissappeared.

But i am playing DF with a map that only contains CP buildings (well nearly, the DF buildings for quests and DF ores and a few vanilla that are needed are still in) so i was pretty sure it was because of that. But doesn´t seem so.

That is a known issue a vanilla wilderness bug I added to the o.p of the cp and has nothing to do with parts lol or the cp.

I should mention I did also test some of my custom POIs to see if the parts reset, I have several of my own POIs in my RWG maps, and they reset just fine as well. Just saying that I don't think it's an issue with vanilla or custom POI parts.

Again, if it's an "issue" with parts at all. We've only had one person report the parts issue, so it could be unique to his game. Don't want us to go down a rabbit hole if it's an issue specific to one person.

I made a test POI that had 10 Custom Parts from my modlet at each of 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100%.

In each row, the number of Parts that were placed was consistent with the chosen percentages. Each POI was different on in the generated world.

I didn't go looking for commands to reset them to see if they would keep using the same parts. I guess I should try that. Not sure how to do that. Any idea what command?

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

21 minutes ago, zztong said:

I made a test POI that had 10 Custom Parts from my modlet at each of 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100%.

In each row, the number of Parts that were placed was consistent with the chosen percentages. Each POI was different on in the generated world.

I didn't go looking for commands to reset them to see if they would keep using the same parts. I guess I should try that. Not sure how to do that. Any idea what command?

Shift f6 the 4th tab (a little skyscraper) then poireset

Must be in dm

I created a POI with 8 parts with in 4 positions. Each had a 2, 4, 6, 8 chance to spawn with the one in the same position having 8, 6, 4, 2 respectively. In RWG none of the parts changed to their alternates no matter how many times I reset the POI. If I damaged or looted them they would be reset, but once in-world the part picked does not seem to change despite the random chance. I did not realize that, but good to know going forward.

25 minutes ago, v1712 said:

I faced disappering parts when placed them manually on Navezgane map.

You can't place parts manually on a map 

7 hours ago, Deverezieaux said:

I created a POI with 8 parts with in 4 positions. Each had a 2, 4, 6, 8 chance to spawn with the one in the same position having 8, 6, 4, 2 respectively. In RWG none of the parts changed to their alternates no matter how many times I reset the POI. If I damaged or looted them they would be reset, but once in-world the part picked does not seem to change despite the random chance. I did not realize that, but good to know going forward.

You need to link the 2 parts with the same group

3 hours ago, v1712 said:

I faced disappering parts when placed them manually on Navezgane map.

Ah, that makes sense. When you're looking at a shadowy image of a POI it probably shows all the Parts. Then when you place it, they all disappear. This could be because their percentage chance didn't come up, and/or also because placing a POI manually may not run the code to evaluate the Parts, apparently like refreshing a POI to start a new mission doesn't do.

10 hours ago, Deverezieaux said:

but once in-world the part picked does not seem to change despite the random chance. I did not realize that, but good to know going forward.

Yeh, that's a bit of an eye opener.

On one hand, it kind of makes sense. RWG figured out what the Parts were when generating the world. The game just reloads the POI from the world.

On the other hand, we were all kind of hoping that when somebody reset the POI when starting a mission that the game would reroll all the probabilities. The idea of putting loot in different locations to make it different on each play-through is sorta-kinda supported, but not entirely. At least the position could be different between identical POIs on the same map.

4 hours ago, stallionsden said:

You need to link the 2 parts with the same group

I did try that and got the same results. Once spawned in a map the parts didn't change on POI resets. If damaged or looted they would reset to the original.

5 hours ago, stallionsden said:

You can't place parts manually on a map 

Getting back to the original issue on this. What @v1712's issue was not that he was placing Parts directly in Nav, but placing POIs with parts in them, and then moving the POIs within his Nav map. According to his original report to us; when he placed then moved a POI with parts, the parts would disappear and/or not reset. I'm thinking this is either because moving the POI after it is placed does not change the coordinates of the parts, or Navezgane has something special about it that prevents this, or you just can't move a POI with parts after it is first placed.

Whatever the cause, this still sounds like an issue unique to @v1712 so I'm not sure we'll be able to figure it out, though we have found some other interesting things out. 😁

15 hours ago, zztong said:

Ah, that makes sense. When you're looking at a shadowy image of a POI it probably shows all the Parts. Then when you place it, they all disappear. This could be because their percentage chance didn't come up, and/or also because placing a POI manually may not run the code to evaluate the Parts, apparently like refreshing a POI to start a new mission doesn't do.

Well the part spawn probability bring sense to situation. The only question is  - Is it ok when disappearing part is final chest part?

P.S. I learned how to place POIs without movement - see 1st screen shot. You can see 5 parts inside Intersection1 POI of zztong on it. After i save world and load again no pats on that POI. Both editor and player regimes.

ss1.png

ss2.png

Edited by v1712 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, v1712 said:

Is it ok when disappearing part is final chest part?

I've not made the final chest into a Part, but in some POIs I do place Crates via Parts.

You're doing manual placement in the World Editor, right? Then you get no Parts? It is sounding like the only way to give Parts a chance to appear is to use RWG.

1 hour ago, zztong said:

It is sounding like the only way to give Parts a chance to appear is to use RWG.

I think this is a question only someone at TFP will be able to answer. I think @zztong is spot on, that the probability is rolled when RWG is run, and then the parts become "static" to the world like the POIs they are in. This may be totally incorrect, but as prefabbers we have limited visibility into how certain things function.