Add a way to modify terrain block density outside of world editor.

Deceptive Pastry

Something I've wanted since I figured out how this works. Terrain can be made flush with square blocks in the world editor by increasing the density. However there is no way to do this in an actual game, even with developer mode. I'd love to see a new tool that can let you change density and shape terrain more. No more annoying gaps when placing blocks next to terrain. Maybe a garden trowel or a rake?

How about the shovel? We've got one of those.

In the Prefab Editor, we change it with SHIFT-UP and SHIFT-DOWN. Maybe in-game, since this would be infrequently used, you point the shovel at your target and hit SHIFT-UP or SHIFT-DOWN?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Diragor said:

I would Love this cause I hate these gaps a lot....

A20 went a long way to helping out POI developers on this front. Alas, there are still quirks, largely when trying to eliminate those gaps when there's a basement. Eliminating the gap means the ground often extend through a basement wall. Then you either have to engineer a way to cover it up or live with some undesirable appearance.

One common approach to dealing with that is to use Farm Blocks to make a sort-of flower bed. I'm cool with that so long as those blocks don't start dropping lots of Nitrate, or something folks might consider loot. I don't think the POI versions of the FarmPlots are recoverable, like the player-crafted versions are. If the POI versions were then this approach be a gold-mine to farming.

The heart of the issue is basically that soil (of various types) is not a cube, but something else that I don't have a term for. Maybe TFP would consider making a collection of soil blocks for us to place as an alternative in these cases? Maybe that makes no sense for some reason.

I'm not a developer, so I have no idea how actually complicated this would be. In my mind this shouldn't even be an issue, though. I get why the terrain blocks behave the way they do, but I would think there'd be a way to code terrain blocks so that if a non-terrain block is placed adjacent to it, the side that it is adjacent to would simply fill out flush against the other block. I mean, it kinda already does this when placing a block on top of uneven terrain (the terrain raises up automatically to meet the base of the placed block, albeit unevenly). It should be possible to change it so that the terrain block fills in that space completely, and any surrounding terrain blocks should morph to cover exposed edges, if any appear as a result.

11 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

I'm not a developer, so I have no idea how actually complicated this would be. In my mind this shouldn't even be an issue, though. I get why the terrain blocks behave the way they do, but I would think there'd be a way to code terrain blocks so that if a non-terrain block is placed adjacent to it, the side that it is adjacent to would simply fill out flush against the other block. I mean, it kinda already does this when placing a block on top of uneven terrain (the terrain raises up automatically to meet the base of the placed block, albeit unevenly). It should be possible to change it so that the terrain block fills in that space completely, and any surrounding terrain blocks should morph to cover exposed edges, if any appear as a result.

Thats right. I wouldn't even mind it if there were any edges cause in reality you could dig in a way to creat edges in the soil