Can't connect to dedicated server anymore since 20.5 (says version unknown)

Grohg

Hey folks,

So I've tried installing the dedicated server on my other machine through both the steamCMD and using the steam client itself. Either way, it leads me to the same result of running the server, it all boots up and is ready to go. When I try to connect on my gaming machine I can see the server, it does show up (finally, since 20.5 I learned I had to add the region to the serverconfig xml to get it show up), but it can't connect.

When I look at other peoples' servers they do have valid values for the server version. With my server, it says unknown. I deleted all of the files for my dedicated server and installed fresh, still it's "unknown".

Ports all forwarded correctly, tried connecting via public ip...nothing works.

Help!! Also thanks.

-Matt

52 minutes ago, Beelzybub said:

Your client and server log files will hold clues to the problem.

Where are these log files located exactly? I went through the directory, did searches, but there's nothing on my client side except about 10 logs from a month or 2 ago. I'll check the server and see if it's any different.

I appreciate the advice: so I went into the logs and I'm slightly more confused as to why this isn't working. The server log had absolutely no mention of a client attempting to connect. The client log just said it timed out because the target machine actively refused the connection. Definitely don't understand what's going on...

https://pastebin.com/5kPnaKKj

That's the client log. I don't see anything valuable in there, but the server log  literally says nothing about connecting. I don't really get what's happening...

16 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Try connecting via the local ip of the server.

Also, can you be more specific about how you configured port forwarding.

So I can, successfully, connect to the dedicated server through the local IP. As soon as I try to do it through the list, or even external IP, I cannot connect. Now I did nothing different between when I last played and it first failed after 20.5 released.

I've been hosting 7d dedicated servers for years on my second pc here. I don't do anything unique when I forward the ports, standard forwarding to the hosting machine's IP. 

There are many warnings in your log relating to failed connections, in fact the GameSense warning points to a port issue. Be sure you are forwarding these ports:

26900 TCP and 26900-26903 UDP

Once done, be sure to use an online port checker to verify that they are open. Some routers are problematic when attempting to forward ports. Also, some ISP’s block users from forwarding ports on their modem/routers.

Thanks  for the replies guys. I noticed the GameSense errors as well, and initially thought it was relevant, until I came across old logs (before they moved their location) and GameSense had the same error during a completely successful game session. I think that is its own plugin that failed in some way but isn't relevant. 

Also, I have opened those ports (been open for years now, I just update the local IP if it's changed from a power outage), but perhaps there's a problem that coincidentally happened at the same exact time as the 20.5 update. I'll dive into the ports again, next, since I was able to connect locally no problem.

I've tried it with an old set of files (custom configs, mods, etc) and completely fresh installs.

Edited by Grohg (see edit history)

Weird, so apparently deleting the entry on the router for the ports being open and remaking it worked! It was definitely a port issue, which I dismissed early until we found I could connect via the local IP. Anyway, thanks for the help guys...I don't quite know why the port was found to be closed, but it's open now with the rule in place!