Alpha 20.5 Stable

Hated

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

So is there some other reason the pings are different for A19 and A20?

I can only guess: A bug, or some additional stuff is measured that shouldn't factor into the ping, or changes to the network code that actually decrease network speed, ...

• 4 months later...

Mods folder

Due to restrictions from Microsoft, FUTURE updates may change the location of the Mods folder.

These restrictions make it so that the Mods folder can longer be in the same installation folder as 7 Days to Die.

You can specify the location of the UserDataFolder in the game launcher. The Mods folder can then be placed in that folder.

Add the following to the command line:

Format:

-UserDataFolder=<YOUR_DRIVE_LOCATION><YOUR_FOLDER_LOCATION>

Example:

-UserDataFolder=C:\MyUserData

The UserDataFolder can also be set in the serverconfig.xml file.

Format:

<property name="UserDataFolder" value="<YOUR_SERVER_DRIVE_LOCATION><YOUR_SERVER_FOLDER_PATH><YOUR_FOLDER_LOCATION>" />

Example:

<property name="UserDataFolder" value="C:\MyServer\Users\TFP\123456\MyDediSaves" />

Bull@%$#, microsoft has no domain over where a user wishes to place a folder or save files, your workaround could literally just lead right back to a MODS folder within the game folder if the player so chooses by adding the lines and directing it to the mods folder within the 7 days game folder. 

nice try, but i smell BS. 

4 hours ago, Exiteternium said:

Bull@%$#, microsoft has no domain over where a user wishes to place a folder or save files, your workaround could literally just lead right back to a MODS folder within the game folder if the player so chooses by adding the lines and directing it to the mods folder within the 7 days game folder. 

nice try, but i smell BS. 

That's no bull@%$#, that's how it is if you want permission for crossplay with the Xbox. Unfortunately, this is the case. You can hear this from the Funpimps themselves in the interview with Guns, Nerds and Steel. 

3 hours ago, Shemasheko said:

That's no bull@%$#, that's how it is if you want permission for crossplay with the Xbox. Unfortunately, this is the case. You can hear this from the Funpimps themselves in the interview with Guns, Nerds and Steel. 

I literally just told you how people can still place it in their desired folder, which would happen to be the same folder as the game, and just point to it.. with that said why don't they just have it retained in that folder and point to it with those lines of code themselves without player intervention to maintain it where the PLAYER DESIRES. 

and considering I literally called BS on them, why would i listen to the excuses from the source I am claiming BS on? that's literally saying "hey those guys you called liars, here is there interview on the matter where they explain the lie"

16 hours ago, Exiteternium said:

I literally just told you how people can still place it in their desired folder, which would happen to be the same folder as the game, and just point to it.. with that said why don't they just have it retained in that folder and point to it with those lines of code themselves without player intervention to maintain it where the PLAYER DESIRES. 

and considering I literally called BS on them, why would i listen to the excuses from the source I am claiming BS on? that's literally saying "hey those guys you called liars, here is there interview on the matter where they explain the lie"

Sure individual players could do that, but soon they'll probably have to specifically add exceptions into their antivirus software, especially the one from Microsoft itself. MS tries to establish new standards so they can make some parts of the directory tree follow stricter rules, especially the program folders.

Do you remember very old windows versions like windows 3.1? In those times all programs just dropped some of their DLLs (aka libraries) into the windows system folder. Usually that meant that windows became unstable when someone installed lots of programs. It needed years for Microsoft to realize that is a bad idea and change that practice through promoting new style guides and constant pressure put on software developers. 

And I think this is again such pressure put on all developer to follow their new style guides. You just wait 2 years and no game or other software will write into the Programms directory anymore except for installation. And just like the operating system is protected by being fully cryptographically signed from "secure boot" up more and more programs will be signed as well (and will not start if anything is changed there). This is a move Microsoft had planned for years.

EDIT: I just checked and at the moment signing is only done for each executable, not a whole directory. So at least momentary that would not be the reason. But dividing the directory tree in writable and unwritable parts is definitely beneficial and has been done in linux as well for example.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Exiteternium said:

It's perfectly fine for individual players to modify their own computer files. But if a studio wants to do business with Microsoft then they have to follow Microsoft's procedures. This is exactly what TFP is doing-- following the guidelines of Microsoft so that they can participate in Game Pass and have crossplay enabled for the xbox. They will do the same for any procedures dictated by Sony. So, yes, TFP has changed their directory structure to comply with Microsoft standards while at the same time keeping it possible for PC players to change things if they so desire for themselves. There is no other reason for the change and it isn't coincidence that it happened during the update in which they made the game compatible with Game Pass and began work on crossplay support.

2 hours ago, Exiteternium said:

This is perilously close to being a bannable offense. I suggest you back up from any statement where you are calling the developers outright liars on their own forum. Its fine that you don't understand why these changes happened but that doesn't mean you have to skip a few logical thoughts and go right to "they're lying". Now you know the reasoning behind the change and my advice is to accept it as the truth.