Alpha 20.5 Stable

Hated

hello, i was running a dedicated server for me and my friends but ever since 20.4, i couldn't run the server again

the update says to add the two lines in the serverconfig.xml
specifically these two lines

<property name="Region" value="NorthAmericaEast" />

<property name="Language" value="English" />

i added them and saved it but when i tried to start up the server, it would only show a few lines then would forced close
do you guys have any fix for this? thanks

9 hours ago, nayu said:

hello, i was running a dedicated server for me and my friends but ever since 20.4, i couldn't run the server again

the update says to add the two lines in the serverconfig.xml
specifically these two lines

<property name="Region" value="NorthAmericaEast" />

<property name="Language" value="English" />

i added them and saved it but when i tried to start up the server, it would only show a few lines then would forced close
do you guys have any fix for this? thanks

You should post this in General Support section. They will need your server log and use pastebin.com to post it. Instructions are in the pinned topic “Before you post……”.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

Question about A20... is the chance for honey from stumps almost 100% now? every stump I've broken thus far into my a20.5 game has given me honey

pretty sure it was not altered by the team.

you either have a mod that changes it or just good RNG.

my average has been maybe 1 per 15-20 (sometimes i get a few close together and sometimes takes hours).

i just looked at vanilla settings/xml shows

<block name="treeStump">
	<property name="Material" value="MtreeWoodSmall"/>
	<property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
	<property name="Tags" value="wood"/>
	<property name="Shape" value="ModelEntity"/>
	<property name="Path" value="solid"/>
	<property name="Model" value="#Entities/Trees?Prefabs/Stump.prefab"/>
	<property name="ModelOffset" value="0,0,0"/>
	<property name="StabilitySupport" value="false"/> <!-- build restriction -->
	<property name="ImposterDontBlock" value="true"/>
	<property name="IsTerrainDecoration" value="true"/>
	<property name="BigDecorationRadius" value="3"/>
	<property name="IsPlant" value="true"/> <!-- it shall never be placed on rocks -->
	<drop event="Harvest" name="resourceWood" count="20,30" tag="oreWoodHarvest"/>
	<drop event="Destroy" name="foodHoney" count="1" prob=".2"/>
	<property name="FilterTags" value="MC_outdoor,SC_trees"/>
	<property name="SortOrder1" value="a0d0"/>
</block>

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

pretty sure it was not altered by the team.

you either have a mod that changes it or just good RNG.

my average has been maybe 1 per 15-20 (sometimes i get a few close together and sometimes takes hours).

i just looked at vanilla settings/xml shows

<block name="treeStump">
	<property name="Material" value="MtreeWoodSmall"/>
	<property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
	<property name="Tags" value="wood"/>
	<property name="Shape" value="ModelEntity"/>
	<property name="Path" value="solid"/>
	<property name="Model" value="#Entities/Trees?Prefabs/Stump.prefab"/>
	<property name="ModelOffset" value="0,0,0"/>
	<property name="StabilitySupport" value="false"/> <!-- build restriction -->
	<property name="ImposterDontBlock" value="true"/>
	<property name="IsTerrainDecoration" value="true"/>
	<property name="BigDecorationRadius" value="3"/>
	<property name="IsPlant" value="true"/> <!-- it shall never be placed on rocks -->
	<drop event="Harvest" name="resourceWood" count="20,30" tag="oreWoodHarvest"/>
	<property name="FilterTags" value="MC_outdoor,SC_trees"/>
	<property name="SortOrder1" value="a0d0"/>
</block>

Hm. I wonder if it's governed by Living off the Land or by Lucky Looter? I do have 1 point in each (or possibly 2 in LL), maybe that's effecting it.  But it definitely feels like every one I've hit has done something lol. The only modlets I have are UI/QoL (and Capp00's voice as the drone lol). Nothing that should change loot

When I really need honey, I get one per 20 stumps. When I don’t need honey, I get one honey per stump./shrugs

Also there is a perk book that increases the chance of getting honey, I forget the name. You might look through the books that you’ve read and see if you found that book.

3 hours ago, Star69 said:

Also there is a perk book that increases the chance of getting honey, I forget the name. You might look through the books that you’ve read and see if you found that book.

Maybe I'm misremembering it, but I thought the book made every tree you harvested possibly give honey like a stump.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

On 6/15/2022 at 2:05 AM, Star69 said:

You are correct however I thought that included increased honey for stumps as I considered stumps as trees though, honestly, I do not know for sure.

Stumps are about a 10% chance (I believe madmole said that quite a while ago ). Therefore It is guaranteed that you get one jar of honey every 10 stumps, in any one of them. It's uncommon for 10  stumps in a row to not have at least 1. Very uncommon. Sometimes it does indeed feel like an eternity though. I mean 10 stumps can be tough to spot in a short time.

The honey book has a lower chance. It's around a 2% (Madmole also said that back when books were first added) and it does not add to the stumps, just all the trees in the game (that is balanced enough I think!). So you are guaranteed to get 1 jar of honey per 50 hits to any tree, regardless of the block damage.

That means that if you have an steel axe that cuts down trees in 2 hits then you have to -worst case scenario- cut down 25 trees to get 1 jar, while with a stone axe that needs 16 to cut down the biggest one you just need 5 trees minimum. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

49 minutes ago, spud42 said:

doesnt this mean a 20% chance to drop from stump?

It should? It might've changed since then. Still, the point is, Xml probs "almost guarantee" the item within the margin, whatever the likelyhood of dropping it. In this case and IF the 1 value means 100% (not always the case) then we get a jar every 5 stumps with a brutal scalating unlikelyhood of more than 5 not giving anything in a row. A player that breaks 10 stumps and gets nothing with a 20% chance is facing something akin to 200 against 1 odds of NOT getting a jar, and in this case said player should play the Lottery more often, lol. That has never actually happened to me. XML prob value is pretty solid and honey WILL appear after X number of stumps without going further than X if it hasn't already done so.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

On 6/16/2022 at 6:30 AM, Blake_ said:

It should? It might've changed since then. Still, the point is, Xml probs "almost guarantee" the item within the margin, whatever the likelyhood of dropping it. In this case and IF the 1 value means 100% (not always the case) then we get a jar every 5 stumps with a brutal scalating unlikelyhood of more than 5 not giving anything in a row. A player that breaks 10 stumps and gets nothing with a 20% chance is facing something akin to 200 against 1 odds of NOT getting a jar, and in this case said player should play the Lottery more often, lol. That has never actually happened to me. XML prob value is pretty solid and honey WILL appear after X number of stumps without going further than X if it hasn't already done so.

10 times not getting honey with a 20% change is 0.8 ^ 10 = .107, i.e. a chance of 1 in 10, not 1 in 200.

49 minutes ago, meganoth said:

10 times not getting honey with a 20% change is 0.8 ^ 10 = .107, i.e. a chance of 1 in 10, not 1 in 200.

I did exagerate a lot . Roland would be proud of my crazy unfounded calculations. Not getting honey after 10 stumps is not sweet at all. After 100? Sour.

On 6/14/2022 at 8:05 PM, Star69 said:

You are correct however I thought that included increased honey for stumps as I considered stumps as trees though, honestly, I do not know for sure.

No, the book doesn't affect stumps.  It only affects things with the    

WasteTreasuresHoneyHarvest

tag which is only on the tree master block.  Stumps are not extended from the tree master block so the chance doesn't change for them

a 20% chance of drop means exactly that. every time you break a stump there is a 1 in 5 chance.  However probability does not mean you are guaranteed a drop if you break 5 stumps. Its like the old monkeys and typewriters writing Shakespeare meme its not likely to happen but it could. 

Some days RNG gods are not on your side... 

Any plans to fix the server browser in a20.5? selecting north america west, i get chinese servers, european servers some using something that says naiwazi.com idk what that is.

now, if choosing server location is up to the server manager, and not up to the developers, that means that no matter which settings we use in the filter we will always see only chinese and other servers? you made this game unplayable, the older browser was much better than this.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 6:15 PM, GoldenFox said:

Any plans to fix the server browser in a20.5? selecting north america west, i get chinese servers, european servers some using something that says naiwazi.com idk what that is.

now, if choosing server location is up to the server manager, and not up to the developers, that means that no matter which settings we use in the filter we will always see only chinese and other servers? you made this game unplayable, the older browser was much better than this.

Better would be a filter for ping. Doesn´t really matter where a server is as long as it doesn´t lag. 

Generally a complete overhaul of the server browser is needed. I can´t see all my favorites at once if they are in different regions. A favorite list only usefull if i can see everything on there at once. That´s the whole point of having favorites.

It´s also stupid that we must do a search before beeing able to access our favorites.

And for US people it´s more than just inconvenient that you have to choose either west or east.

There needs to be the option to leave the region blank.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Better would be a filter for ping. Doesn´t really matter where a server is as long as it doesn´t lag. 

Generally a complete overhaul of the server browser is needed. I can´t see all my favorites at once if they are in different regions. A favorite list only usefull if i can see everything on there at once. That´s the whole point of having favorites.

It´s also stupid that we must do a search before beeing able to access our favorites.

And for US people it´s more than just inconvenient that you have to choose either west or east.

There needs to be the option to leave the region blank.

Speaking of ping. Has anyone else noticed how much it has increased. Someone mentioned it was because now we have to go through EOS.  Is that true. I did a test and loaded in A19 and checked some pings and then loaded A20 and checked same servers and the pings sometimes more than doubled so am guessing it may be true.

M5PxanS.png

Before anyone asks. Yes. These were taken within a short period of each other. (Some time passed for me to combine some images to make them all one)

Yes. I also noticed that the player counts were different by time I had taken the screenshots. Yes. I noticed that in A19 it didn't show the shield for EAC. I don't know why that was.

It is easy enough to check my findings as anyone can easily do the same thing and run A19 and A20 and check the pings.

Edited by Gamida
Clarification (see edit history)

Whatever the ping measures, the client server communication that determines your FPS definitely won't go through EOS. EOS is only used for validating a player when he tries to connect and possibly some telemetry, routing client server communication through EOS would probably cost Epic millions per year for no gain.

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

Whatever the ping measures, the client server communication that determines your FPS definitely won't go through EOS. EOS is only used for validating a player when he tries to connect and possibly some telemetry, routing client server communication through EOS would probably cost Epic millions per year for no gain.

So is there some other reason the pings are different for A19 and A20?