Farming plots and seeds from crops

2 hours ago, Arthur Fuxache said:

Is there any way of increasing your chances of getting seeds from crops when you harvest them ?

It's a bit pointless using 5 corn to get 1 seed and then that only producing 2 maybe 3 corn and no seed to replant.

Seems to be a bit hit n miss at the moment.....

It is really simple:

If you have no points in the Living of the Land perk, then converting produce into seeds is wasting resources, don't do it.

If you have at least 1 point in Living of the Land, then converting produce into seeds gives you **on average** a benefit.

On average means that even if it is hit n miss in the short term, over a longer time you can supply yourself from farming. Even if you sometimes have to use up all your produce for seeds, at other times you will get much more out of it.

I always try to keep the number of seeds planted constant, so for example if I have 12 corn planted then I try to replant 12 after harvest

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Yeah it doesnt seem to be working out anything like that for me.

I have 2 points in living off the land so each harvest yields 2-3 of that particular crop but am not getting back the yield in seeds  that I need to make it worthwhile.

Will have to monitor it further, see how it goes over the longer term like you say.

45 minutes ago, Arthur Fuxache said:

Yeah it doesnt seem to be working out anything like that for me.

I have 2 points in living off the land so each harvest yields 2-3 of that particular crop but am not getting back the yield in seeds  that I need to make it worthwhile.

Will have to monitor it further, see how it goes over the longer term like you say.

Yeah, I am going to make an assumption here, but I think it is good one.

First, stop harvesting wild plants as your baseline.  Getting 2-3 crops from a harvest with LotL Lvl 2 means you are harvesting wild plants only (wild plants give you one crop, LotL doubles that and gives you a 50% chance for an additional crop which gives you 2-3 crops).  Also, you don't get seeds back from wild crops.

For farms, you are harvesting planted crops.  Planted crops give you 2 per harvest.  With LoTL Lvl 2, you get the same change (double plus 50% chance for an additional crop) which means you will be getting 4-5 crops each time you harvest.  You have a 50% chance of seeds from planted crops.

Second, if you are doing all this in creative mode, the crops you can use in CM are wild crops only.  Planted crops have to go from seeds to fully grown to be considered planted.

53 minutes ago, Oliwhere said:

I posted similar findings a few weeks ago and filed a bug report on the issue - so hopefully they'll have it fixed in the next release.

Your issue is tied to the RNG which seems to be common on other things also.  OP’s issue points to harvesting wild crops instead of planted crops.

7 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Your issue is tied to the RNG which seems to be common on other things also.  OP’s issue points to harvesting wild crops instead of planted crops.

Yes, good catch - I simply assumed OP was talking about harvests from farm plots since the title said so, but with 2-3? crops, you are right, it must actually be the crops from farm POIs.

7 hours ago, Oliwhere said:

Yes, good catch - I simply assumed OP was talking about harvests from farm plots since the title said so, but with 2-3? crops, you are right, it must actually be the crops from farm POIs.

Yep I was referring to farming from the farm plots you make

8 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

First, stop harvesting wild plants as your baseline.  Getting 2-3 crops from a harvest with LotL Lvl 2 means you are harvesting wild plants only (wild plants give you one crop, LotL doubles that and gives you a 50% chance for an additional crop which gives you 2-3 crops).  Also, you don't get seeds back from wild crops.

For farms, you are harvesting planted crops.  Planted crops give you 2 per harvest.  With LoTL Lvl 2, you get the same change (double plus 50% chance for an additional crop) which means you will be getting 4-5 crops each time you harvest.  You have a 50% chance of seeds from planted crops.

Plants are all grown in farm plots.

So my understanding of Living off the Land is that without it you get 1 crop per plant.

1 point doubles that to two and then a further point gives a 50% chance each harvest to get a 3rd crop.

Which gives 3 at most ?

Ah just been ingame and checked that and did get 4-5 crops per plant again with very few seeds but looks like its just a numbers game rather than a guaranteed like it used to be.....putting that 3rd point in LOTL would really make it work well.

Edited by Arthur Fuxache (see edit history)

M8D_M0L3_System

ERROR CODE 696969

The faRming system won't reach it's intended realistic function due to......sOmething or other. but please feeL free to browse our modder collection to Address what we simply woN't. GooD bye.

will you notice a certain green name in there?

10 hours ago, Arthur Fuxache said:

Plants are all grown in farm plots.

Not correct.  Some plants that the  world generate throughout the biomes and in the POIs are considered wild plants

So my understanding of Living off the Land is that without it you get 1 crop per plant.

1 point doubles that to two and then a further point gives a 50% chance each harvest to get a 3rd crop.

Which gives 3 at most ?

No.

Wild plants by default give you one crop per plant.  Player planted crops give you two crops per plant by default (default = LoTL level 0)

LoTL Level 0 = default crops per harvest

LoTL level 1 = 2x crops per harvest (wild = 2, planted = 4)

LoTL level 2 = 2x crops per harvest, 50% chance for a bonus crop (wild = 2-3 crops, planted = 4-5)

LoTL level 3 = 3x crops per harvest, 50% chance for a bonus crop (wild = 3-4 crops, planted = 6-7)

Ah just been ingame and checked that and did get 4-5 crops per plant again with very few seeds but looks like its just a numbers game rather than a guaranteed like it used to be.....putting that 3rd point in LOTL would really make it work well.

I suspected you didn't get your numbers from the actual game and this proves out my assumption.

The changes mean that you can't create a farm without investing any perks in LoTL which is what the Devs were shooting for with these changes.  Prior to A20, there was very little effort required to get a thriving farm.  Now if you want to generate a farm to feed you and your party, one member needs to invest into LoTL for it to be viable.

Seeds are 50% drop chance.  Sometimes you may harvest 2, sometimes 8 (based on 10 plots); but overtime the numbers should come closer to 50%.  You will get a harvest where a lot of your crops will have to be converted to seeds to replant, other times you will barely need to make any seeds.

Don't convert plants into seeds until you are LoTL 1 at least.  I typically wait until I got LoTL 2 before I start my farm in SP.

Edited by BFT2020 (see edit history)

22 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Not correct.  Some plants that the  world generate throughout the biomes and in the POIs are considered wild plants

No.

Wild plants by default give you one crop per plant.  Player planted crops give you two crops per plant by default (default = LoTL level 0)

LoTL Level 0 = default crops per harvest

LoTL level 1 = 2x crops per harvest (wild = 2, planted = 4)

LoTL level 2 = 2x crops per harvest, 50% chance for a bonus crop (wild = 2-3 crops, planted = 4-5)

LoTL level 3 = 3x crops per harvest, 50% chance for a bonus crop (wild = 3-4 crops, planted = 6-7)

I suspected you didn't get your numbers from the actual game and this proves out my assumption.

The changes mean that you can't create a farm without investing any perks in LoTL which is what the Devs were shooting for with these changes.  Prior to A20, there was very little effort required to get a thriving farm.  Now if you want to generate a farm to feed you and your party, one member needs to invest into LoTL for it to be viable.

Seeds are 50% drop chance.  Sometimes you may harvest 2, sometimes 8 (based on 10 plots); but overtime the numbers should come closer to 50%.  You will get a harvest where a lot of your crops will have to be converted to seeds to replant, other times you will barely need to make any seeds.

Don't convert plants into seeds until you are LoTL 1 at least.  I typically wait until I got LoTL 2 before I start my farm in SP.

Ah sorry I mean't the crops in question I was talking about I am growing in farm plots that I have made.

Thanks for the awesome explanation tho and yes it does make total sense that you have to invest more points into LOTL now to create a thriving farm.

A pretty decent change by the Devs tbh
Have just invested my 3rd point in it so things should start working a bit better

Yep just to confirm huge difference with 3 points now invested in LOTL

Edited by Arthur Fuxache (see edit history)