Strange!

I will try and explain. As you can see from the log I am playing with DF the latest build and what happens is that the screen will flash and will drop me to dekstop resolution and I lose all input control. My controller is wired so it is not the battery. I am running W11 with all updates along with everything else including my GPU. The only way out is to task switch to the desktop and select close all windows that is with 7D2D.

I am not to sure if it is W11 causing it.

https://pastebin.com/5ZXLrWTa

It was done sometime ago. This happens from about 10 minutes to a few hours, or, not at all for a few days.

As the title says, strange, and it being an intermittent problem.

All my system is up to date, the PSU can handle the system easily. I have checked that everything is seated properly. I do that about once a month as well as cleaning the inside, fans and radiators to remove dust and other bits. A full virus check has been donw, nada.

It could be just one of those things I have to live with and maybe, it will behave itself all of a sudden. That has happened to me in the past with other software

Not sure what kind of screen flashing you're talking about (a description can help, it can mean a few things depending on how it is), but regardless that likely is a driver/GPU failure or might be power. That GPU takes a ton of power to run.

Could be a Win11 bug too, those certainly aren't short of a plethora amount lol

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

PSU is 1000watt

All updates are done.

I will try and describe it. There is a brief flash type event, then I see the games busy icon the pause screen comes up and that is when I have no control. I hope that helps, Although, I am favouring w11 as the culprit. It can happen within 10 minutes all up to not at all.

Edited by Phil (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

Your log shows it enabled.

Just checked and it IS disabled

Plus I found this in the log:

GamePref.DynamicMeshEnabled = False

7d2dmenu.png

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Just checked and it IS disabled

Plus I found this in the log:

GamePref.DynamicMeshEnabled = False

7d2dmenu.png

I think he talks about dynamic Resolution mode not dynamic mesh options, look at the screen shot below, its a 3rd option from the top, it should be off.

20211210104223_1.thumb.jpg.07a5ce7b030b2

Your log shows that game shifts from one resolution to other and at some point it fails to display the game in fullscreen mode and switch to window mode.

Edited by Sefiros (see edit history)

@Sefarious

Thanks for that, it has just happened again. It flashes to a blank screen for no more than a second. Hmmmmm I will have to investigate this. That resolution is lower than my desktop resolution. Hence the title strange. That is not even my correct settings  as normally fullscreen is set to exclusive. This has only been happening on 20.4

With DSR I will try that and see what happens, thank you for that.

After a quick go, I have a bomus of an extra 10 FPS, a bonus

Damn, happpened again. I will have to investigate this further and change some settings.

Because of the scaling issue I decided to have a look at the Nvidia control panel. I had a look through and I found and Image Scaling setting. It was off and now it is on. I hope that this works

I have decided to play at desktop resolution which on my system is 2560x1440 and, at the moment it is running fine no crashes etc plus I am on 20.5 b some number

Another strange this is view distance, despite being on max, there is little to no difference than it being on low. I have to get within about a few metres then it will draw the house at the speed of a sinclair zx 48k. This new update is not good, in my opinion.

Update. What I done is to backup the mods folder, un-installed it all, deleted ALL the directories, restarted the computer and it now works fine. I have a suspicion that something was left over from a previous version that was not working or making it all go west

I know it’s a pain, but I do a clean uninstall/reinstall with every update. That way I know if I’m dealing with a real bug or an issue with a leftover file. It really doesn’t take long though if you have a lot of custom settings, it may get tedious.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:06 AM, Phil said:

PSU is 1000watt

Although I'm not saying it's a PSU issue and this is branching off into off topic advice, PSU = 1000 watt does not mean your PSU puts out 1000 watts, that's the theoretical max output, but as standard the most efficient output for that would likely be around 700-800watts, and if the PSU has any defects or is dying it could be putting out significantly less power that what is advertised or pushing out dirty electric.

Again, just a misconception that can be dangerous so just food for thought kinda. Seems like you solved it.

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

Cheers guys, I might look into a new more powerful PSU

UPDATE: I should have worked it by myself as I use to build them in ye bygone age. Working it out in 7D2D in  4k my gpu is using about 350-360 watt and my cpu is using about 70-75 watt, it is a ryzen 9 5900x. So far that is over 400 watt but, thankfully I am running ssd's but 64G ram. Basically it all adds up. Many thanks @Jugginator for the memory jogger and I have a 1600 watt beast on order.

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Cheers guys, I might look into a new more powerful PSU

UPDATE: I should have worked it by myself as I use to build them in ye bygone age. Working it out in 7D2D in  4k my gpu is using about 350-360 watt and my cpu is using about 70-75 watt, it is a ryzen 9 5900x. So far that is over 400 watt but, thankfully I am running ssd's but 64G ram. Basically it all adds up. Many thanks @Jugginator for the memory jogger and I have a 1600 watt beast on order.

1600 watt is definitely overkill, but it's future proof. Diagnosing a PSU problem can be time consuming and requires some tools, but you never know it could be power failure. The thing is, usually when a GPU/Driver fails to keep a resolution you'll see the driver failure in the log, so perhaps your PSU was dying and failing to provide enough power. Normally that's a computer hard reboot crash but hey, I've learned to never say never.

Damn it, it just froze just as I was going to complete a trader quest, when it crashed it also placed me back at base.

This is part of the log that shows that Fullscreen Exclusive failed!

Time: 317.05m FPS: 115.99 Heap: 5208.6MB Max: 5572.6MB Chunks: 733 CGO: 575 Ply: 1 Zom: 15 Ent: 19 (395) Items: 1 CO: 10 RSS: 15730.7MB
2022-05-18T17:49:42 25255.126 INF Time: 317.55m FPS: 74.89 Heap: 5411.2MB Max: 5572.6MB Chunks: 733 CGO: 575 Ply: 1 Zom: 15 Ent: 19 (395) Items: 1 CO: 10 RSS: 15730.0MB
2022-05-18T17:49:59 25272.217 WRN Fullscreen Exclusive failed! Reverting to 5120 x 2880
2022-05-18T17:49:59 25272.217 INF SetResolution was screen 2560 x 1440, 144hz, window 2560 x 1440, mode Windowed
2022-05-18T17:49:59 25272.217 INF SetResolution to 5120 x 2880, mode Windowed
2022-05-18T17:50:12 25285.178 INF Time: 318.05m FPS: 87.10 Heap: 5187.5MB Max: 5572.6MB Chunks: 733 CGO: 575 Ply: 1 Zom: 15 Ent: 19 (395) Items: 1 CO: 10 RSS: 15840.9MB
2022-05-18T17:50:12 25285.819 INF Preparing quit

1 hour ago, Jugginator said:

1600 watt is definitely overkill, but it's future proof. Diagnosing a PSU problem can be time consuming and requires some tools, but you never know it could be power failure. The thing is, usually when a GPU/Driver fails to keep a resolution you'll see the driver failure in the log, so perhaps your PSU was dying and failing to provide enough power. Normally that's a computer hard reboot crash but hey, I've learned to never say never.

As I may have said, it can go all day, most of it is gaming,  or 10 minutes. That is how random it is. I am, also, favouring PSU issue.

UPDATE:

Got my new PSU installed but, before that and while I was waiting for delivery I decided to clean the inside of the case including the radiators, both side, of all the dust etc. Plus, it gave me a chance to re-route the cables to improve airflow a little bit. With all that done I have noticed:

GPU temp: reduced by at least 4-5C

CPU temp: reduced temp by about the same.

Lesson there is to clean the dust etc from your case, fans and rads every now and again.

The install was easy, for the cleaning:

GPU Radiator. I removed the fans and saw in front of me a wall of dust, yuck, used a vac cleaner got the most of off and then used a soft brush to get the stubborn bits. Re-vacced it, put the fans back on  and now it stays cooler.

CU Radiator. Similar process but I could not take the fans off in situ. Damn, so, 8 screws to get the rad off, 8 screws to tke the fans off. Same as above YUCK. same procedure as above.

While I had the case open I got rid of any dust etc. Made sure everything was seated correctly. Made sure the fans were the correct way around as they are setup as exhauset fans blowing through the rads. That is when I noticed the temps.

No weirdness happening, at them moment. That is when I considered good choice to change the PSU to one that is higher rated.

A few years ago I used to build them. This one took 40 minutes to build enough to test power on. I was taking my time.

I WILL report back if this has solved it.

I check on the drivers on a regular basis and I do update when they are available. I have a routine in the morning. Check for W11 updates, do if available.

About once a week check others for updates.

Hope that lot will help some of you

20 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Hiya @Phil, just checking in to see progress! How is it going with the new PSU?

Going very well indeed, I have had that black screen for about a seconds but, this time I did not lose control. As I have said, I cleared all the dust from my radiators and my gpu at desktop resolution is below 40c most of the time. The cpu stays at about 50c. So there is a bonus of giving your case a good old fashioned clean now and again.

Thamk you for asking.