Compo-Pack for Random Gen

Magoli

Maybe a stupid question, that may already have been answered.

Are the contributors to the compo pack happy if we steal and plunder 'bits' of their creations?

I'm working on a map with some big prefabs to fill out for an experiment, easier to borrow from vanilla and elsewhere

than remaking the wheel for some sections.

Obviously if it turns out nice , will share and acknowledge unwitting contributors.

As a prefabber I don't mind. Some Just like credit etc. Mainly we do it so others can enjoy it to or do what ever they want with it

I figured out my issue I think, im genning a world now to check, but the max number for every wilderness prefab was set to 1 and I am making a 16k world =/ so I assume it was maxing out on every other prefab and then plopping down infinite traders. I bumped the max count for all the others up to 3, should smooth out my trader placement

Keep shuffling thru the seeds til you find one you like. Rwg is pretty messy. Horrid roads horrid placements horrid spawns. B240 onwards they went backwards imho. Best solution is the above and hope for the best lol

I must have gotten VERY lucky because my seed is amazing. I literally have small towns all over the map and only about 4 traders. The biggest dup's I have are the Dump prefab which is fine. I call mine WorldWar Z

I must have gotten VERY lucky because my seed is amazing. I literally have small towns all over the map and only about 4 traders. The biggest dup's I have are the Dump prefab which is fine. I call mine WorldWar Z

I assume you had a 4 or 8k world? Trying to roll a great 16k is soooooo difficult. The RWG really like the snow biome, I have had a few good ones but like I said I was having an issue due to max count on the wilderness prefabs.

I assume you had a 4 or 8k world? Trying to roll a great 16k is soooooo difficult. The RWG really like the snow biome, I have had a few good ones but like I said I was having an issue due to max count on the wilderness prefabs.

Could remove min and max counts all together lol you would end up with lots altho could come across 3 of the same prefab in a row lol. Has it's advantages and disadvantages

- - - Updated - - -

And yes building a 16k map those values might wanna be upped at the very least

Quick impressions.

Love the variety of POI's

Hate the fact it erases 96% (from what ive experianced personally ) of A17 and its new POI's.

Every town i find now is 99.99% combo pak and 1 dog building.

B9 had to many water plants and the combo pak doesnt allow any ?

Theres also no surface boulders the huge 1's or the smaller ones you can mine, this makes the map look flat and lifeless

Love the pak but it erases A17 :(

EDIT, we did make an 8 or 10k map is that the problem ?

So does anyone definitively know if the clients also need the pack installed now? Or is just having the pack on the server good enough like A16.4

its written in blue in the OP

Clients also need to have the Prefabs in their local Prefab-folders !!

Are you sure ? I've tested with a couple of friends and we noticed that :

My server was running the combopack and a couple of other prefabs. Players that didnt had the combopack installed are playing with 0 errors. Players that had a older version of the combopack had a couple of errors on their console when getting close to a prefab that was not present on their combo pack.

I think as long as there's no custom blocks/paints or anything, the client does NOT need to have the combopack or any other prefab installed .

Quick impressions.

Love the variety of POI's

Hate the fact it erases 96% (from what ive experianced personally ) of A17 and its new POI's.

Every town i find now is 99.99% combo pak and 1 dog building.

B9 had to many water plants and the combo pak doesnt allow any ?

Theres also no surface boulders the huge 1's or the smaller ones you can mine, this makes the map look flat and lifeless

Love the pak but it erases A17 :(

EDIT, we did make an 8 or 10k map is that the problem ?

I didn't change my map size at all. Bluefang makes you do a service ticket to change that. So mine was 4144 and still very large and I didn't experience the problems you had. It was amazing and I really am enjoying the variety. There is a lot of snow patches mixed in but I can live with that

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm I didn't have my players do that and they aren't having any issues Magoli. It's a dedicated server with Bluefang on a PC.

Hi Mag,

I just loaded your latest and greatest for 17.1 and updated my server and started a fresh seed. But I got a lot of errors when I loaded the game for missing ID files on some of the Prefabs. Here's a screenie.

If there's someway I can get you the error data without writing it all down from the F1 screen I'm happy to do that.errors.jpg.f587e4b6fa638f47e40b9ff1086a1e19.jpg

I tested it. The following Pictures shows you the Errors, which are coming, if you only copy the Prefabs on your Server,

but not on your gaming PC.After i copied the Prefab Files also on my Gaming PC, no Errors are showing in the Console.

(Sry for my English. I hope you understand.)

obcHQWgh.jpg

Ok well he did say we had to load them on both and I said it was working fine without but I guess I was wrong. The strange part is the error files are only for about 40 of them and there are at least 300 Prefabs so why are the rest working fine? Weird. I'll put them on my PC and see what happens

Magoli, awesome work here from you and all the modders!

Any word on the problem with the pack dramatically reducing the spawing of vanilla a17 prefabs? Perhaps they can just be added to the pack to increase their spawn likelyhood? (I don't know how this works lol)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is the new Art Gallery in this pack? That thing looks amazing!

Ok well he did say we had to load them on both and I said it was working fine without but I guess I was wrong. The strange part is the error files are only for about 40 of them and there are at least 300 Prefabs so why are the rest working fine? Weird. I'll put them on my PC and see what happens

In A17, Prefabs were changed to include a couple more files per prefab that define block names to IDs i believe (.blocks.nim and .ins)...the server is not pushing these new files (those are the error messages). You are only getting errors about 40 of them because that is all that was in range of your spawn...they error as they are requested to load in.

Well Mag it's true you do have to load the Prefabs on your PC. Most still load but I got a ton of errors that don't show up unless you hit F1 so I loaded the pack client side also and it cleared it all up. No idea what effect it actually has though.

- - - Updated - - -

Magoli, awesome work here from you and all the modders!

Any word on the problem with the pack dramatically reducing the spawing of vanilla a17 prefabs? Perhaps they can just be added to the pack to increase their spawn likelyhood? (I don't know how this works lol)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, is the new Art Gallery in this pack? That thing looks amazing!

I think this may have happened to someone because they probably OVERWROTE the game Prefab Folder with the Compo pack Prefab folder, thereby totally wiping out the Vanilla Prefabs. It says in the Read me file that you need to ADD the files not overwrite the folder. I don't have any problems with this at all but I loaded it correctly. LOVE this pack, it's da bomb

Well Mag it's true you do have to load the Prefabs on your PC. Most still load but I got a ton of errors that don't show up unless you hit F1 so I loaded the pack client side also and it cleared it all up. No idea what effect it actually has though.

- - - Updated - - -

I think this may have happened to someone because they probably OVERWROTE the game Prefab Folder with the Compo pack Prefab folder, thereby totally wiping out the Vanilla Prefabs. It says in the Read me file that you need to ADD the files not overwrite the folder. I don't have any problems with this at all but I loaded it correctly. LOVE this pack, it's da bomb

Awesome, thanks!

So you can't edit a Random game on a dedicated server I'm guessing? Like if I wanted to import a prefab into my server is that possible? I'm running the Combo Pack sometimes I'd just like to add a favorite that didn't show up on the seed I chose

I'm new to tinkering around with the prefabs, but I found if you go into the original map world in world editor that your current saved game is based on you can add the prefab there and save it. Then you relaunch your saved game, go to the coordinates that you added the prefab, then in the console type "chunkreset". This will reset the chunks in a 32x32 block area and spawn your new prefab. If you are facing north, it will reset the chunk you are in, the chunk south of you, the chunk west of you, and the chunk southwest of you. You may need to do this more than once if the prefab is bigger than that area. This saves you from having to wipe an entire region file to add a new prefab. Unintended consequences are it will erase any roads in the chunk reset area as well as recalculate any decor that has spawned in the area sometime splitting decor buildings in half. This works for regular MP maps, but I don't know enough about running a dedicated server map if it would work there.

• Roland locked this topic

Archived