Jump to content

new server search function is horrible


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, MikeSixx said:

Nope, as I stated: Geographical regions in Internet DO NOT WORK !  Geographical regions >>> ONLY <<<< work for official server that are provided by the game vendor to few predefined regional data centers. For random player installed servers the regional accuracy is around 50%, so basically it is pure guesswork. 

 

It's not that bad. It's 95% to country, and about 75% to city: https://www.arin.net/blog/2018/06/11/ip-geolocation-the-good-the-bad-the-frustrating/ and the game is only trying to identify region. 

 

But is that the real issue anyway? That you're seeing a few French or Chinese servers sneak in? Or your server is being misclassified into the wrong region? Seems like it's just cumbersome to use is the main complaint. Perhaps a way to improve it is to browse to regions only, but as long as you have decently refined filter, (With criteria that don't need to ping thousands of servers to narrow your search), then a search could be allowed across "Any" region.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Realistically, TFP probably doesn't even know that this is a problem.  They are so detached from anything having to do with multiplayer that they probably don't really even care.  Heck, if this gets people more frustrated with multiplayer and causes less people to play, then GOOD.  That's less people to be here on the forums complaining about multiplayer problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RyanX said:

Realistically, TFP probably doesn't even know that this is a problem.  They are so detached from anything having to do with multiplayer that they probably don't really even care.  Heck, if this gets people more frustrated with multiplayer and causes less people to play, then GOOD.  That's less people to be here on the forums complaining about multiplayer problems.

 

You couldn´t be more wrong actually. They do have people working on the netcode to make the multiplayer experience better for servers that go way over the offically supported 8 player limit.

 

Multiplayer is popular in this game. They advertised it as multiplayer aswell. And if you have friends who play it, you will never go back to SP. It´s just utterly boring once you experienced MP with your friends.

 

Just wish people would stop assuming that their way to play is the only one that matters. How do you stop people from complaining about things that are none of their business?

 

 

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dont even care about searching. I have 2 servers I play on. I like opening the game and seeing both servers sitting there on my favs tab. Having to "search" for the server I already know I'm going to play on is just stupid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, dex314 said:

I dont even care about searching. I have 2 servers I play on. I like opening the game and seeing both servers sitting there on my favs tab. Having to "search" for the server I already know I'm going to play on is just stupid. 

1. Find the IP address of your two favourite servers

 

2. Edit your hosts file and add the lines:

1.2.3 4    fav1

5.6.7.8    fav2

 

Where 1.2 3.4 is the server's IP, and fav1 is any short name you like. 

 

Now any time you want to join that server, just direct connect and type in fav1 or fav2 and forget searching.

 

I am currently on a phone so if you need more detailed info, I can return tomorrow to provide it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@Pernicious You mean joining via Steam favorites i guess? Because ingame you have to do a search first. The search mask is the first thing that pops up if you click "Join game" and if you have servers in different regions, you gotta remember to pick the right region to see it in your list.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am curious. Has anyone found a server with a ping lower than 3 digits? I remember when I use to search on old system I could find servers with pings in 40's and 50's.

Since new system I don't think I have found one under 130. Even when it is searching in my region.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@Gamida I see a few below 100. They are constantly changing though. Like my own rented server, those under 100, go back and forth between 60 and 100. Region is Europe.

 

And since when do you need to click on a server to see it´s ping? Is this also new or did i just never know about that?

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Gamida I see a few below 100. They are constantly changing though. Like my own rented server, those under 100, go back and forth between 60 and 100. Region is Europe.

 

And since when do you need to click on a server to see it´s ping? Is this also new or did i just never know about that?

 

I think the lowest I have seen since the change is 133 and I know I use to see tons of them way lower than that. My first page would usually be below 100 if I clicked the ping icon to filter them low to high.

Yeah I noticed to that I pretty much have to click each server in the list or the ping doesn't show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

having issues right now loading my friends American East Coast version - it displays the count of the server but doesn't display the actual server. I change it to Europe servers and it displays... seems like the whole region thing is broken.. and now i can't play... thanks!

Just now, infamoustimo said:

having issues right now loading my friends American East Coast version - it displays the count of the server but doesn't display the actual server. I change it to Europe servers and it displays... seems like the whole region thing is broken.. and now i can't play... thanks!

stuck on create character screen on loadup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Seriously? where are the pitchforks and torches at?  this thing is utter @%$#.. I have North American East or West English and the entire first page is spammed by Chinese servers running a suspect server at 500 ping?  I cant even see my favorites anymore. 

oh and in before the have you tried putting region North america east/west and English crowd.. yea i have i have tried everything and all i see is servers i shouldnt be seeing because they are NOT NA east or west or ENGLISH.  

  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Necrozis said:

Seriously? where are the pitchforks and torches at?  this thing is utter @%$#.. I have North American East or West English and the entire first page is spammed by Chinese servers running a suspect server at 500 ping?  I cant even see my favorites anymore. 

oh and in before the have you tried putting region North america east/west and English crowd.. yea i have i have tried everything and all i see is servers i shouldnt be seeing because they are NOT NA east or west or ENGLISH.  

 

There are threads, the pitchforks have been out.  Moderators have responded but nobody really cares what a moderator's opinion is on the matter.  I haven't seen anything from anyone who matters, like a dev.  There will probably have to be 10 or so new threads created before there's any acknowledgement.  I think we are only up to 3 or so now.

 

Also, please leave the bottom right of this response open for Kuosimodo to leave a dislke.

Edited by RyanX (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 6:28 AM, Telric said:

Sounds more like impatience than a fault of the game. It's day 1 of a new patch. You can't expect everyone from every server, all across the world to update their servers on your time. It will take a few weeks for everyone to get on board with how things work now. It's like when things went from having to choose single player worlds vs mp worlds, to how it is now, where you're considered always a MP server with settings that hide the name of it. Confusion happened at first, but since then it's become a non issue. Same concept here. No sense in rage quitting day one of a new system patch. Give players time to update their servers to use the new feature.

well now its day 20+ are we supposed to take the same excuse now?

On 5/2/2022 at 1:00 AM, Pernicious said:

 

It's not that bad. It's 95% to country, and about 75% to city: https://www.arin.net/blog/2018/06/11/ip-geolocation-the-good-the-bad-the-frustrating/ and the game is only trying to identify region. 

 

But is that the real issue anyway? That you're seeing a few French or Chinese servers sneak in? Or your server is being misclassified into the wrong region? Seems like it's just cumbersome to use is the main complaint. Perhaps a way to improve it is to browse to regions only, but as long as you have decently refined filter, (With criteria that don't need to ping thousands of servers to narrow your search), then a search could be allowed across "Any" region.

its multiple issues but yeah some of it is that you see a LOT of Chinese servers sneak in not only subverting the Region issue but also the Language one too to push the servers i should be seeing off the 120ish that i get to see for some reason entirely.  There is no reason why that should be that way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do hope that they have more in mind for this.

 

The server I use sits right beside me, was always the first in the list the old way.

Having a search come up first and HAVING to type in the name every time is a step backwards.

 

Not gonna whine, just gonna wait...... for now.  😛

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It should be in your history, simply do a search with region it´s in and it should show up in your history.

 

Still sucks that you can´t see all your servers in the history if they are in different regions. The whole system is just bad. I don´t need a search filter 99% of the time when i go online. I just need to be able to get on my history list with ALL servers listed no matter where they are located.

 

The search mask doesn´t need to be mandatory as the first thing you see when pressing "join a game" Let me in the serverlist first. So that i can simply use my history with all my servers on there. For people who need the search mask you could simply make a button they can use.

 

The majority of players doesn´t need to do a  search when they go online most of the time.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...