Alpha 20.4 Stable

Hated

Here is the scenario we have:

- Multiple administrators log onto the server using unique credentials.

- The four different instances of the game are run as services executing under the "system" account.

- The system account doesn't have a USER profile requiring applications to run with the -NO PROFILE flag or similar attributes.

- Because each of our administrators can build a new instance of a server and/or configure an over-haul MOD, which USER profile would you intend to store the associated files in?

- How do we have multiple /MODS folders in one USER profile so that each game instance can access the unique /MODS folder meant for that instance?

- Given that you are playing roulette with the game files, do we bet on 0 or 00? (Betting on a ~49/50 outcome is way to boring...)

Right now the UserDataFolder setting works great and all player, map, and game specific information is stored where we tell it to be placed.  I'm hoping that extends to the MOD folder also.

19 hours ago, ThePewter said:

I updated our dedicated server (Win10) and can't connect: I'm getting the message "Server is still initializing, please try again later"  (Linux client)

Looking in the log file, there's a couple of NullReferenceExceptions being generated when I try to logon. The tail end of the log can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ltd3axner5bjd3p/AABbx6Z7V_YpG_Fh12lAHZiAa?dl=0

I had the same problem & errors yesterday.  I figured I'd wipe because I had mods (Alloc's x3 + CSMM_Patrons)  installed on the server, and, well, the mod thing...  Pretty lame to wipe but w/e I guess.  I actually had to reinstall the whole server (Bluefang) and noticed the serverconfig.xml updated again after my first update, so I guess the 2 new parameters got added there.  Gave up at that point while it reinstalled.  Just now getting back to it...

1 hour ago, Hated said:

Can anybody with server issues try using the absolute path for UserDataFolder and SaveGameFolder?

e.g.: 

-UserDataFolder=c:\bluefang\servers\ <YOUR SERVER ID> \ <YOUR SAVES FOLDER>

I didn't save my original launch string from yesterday but before I gave up I do remember looking at that & re-did my active parameters.  I just now finished launching the server & it is now coming up in the search.

Connecting... did I just see something regarding Epic in the messages?  Got into the game w/out the mods.  Back to figuring out the rest of that mess considering the folder moves...

3 hours ago, ravaxtion2019 said:

I for myself, I will NOT be updating to this version. RIP 7DtD.

I'll stay with 20.2 stable at the moment. Enough fun for me with all the MODS already available. RWG Performance could be better. But overall I can live with that version, especially because I play offline only. However, I'm curious how the developers will communicate the new folder restriction to the Linux gamers - with their often even smaller main partitions.

Edited by grendelwolf (see edit history)

42 minutes ago, grendelwolf said:

I'll stay with 20.2 stable at the moment. Enough fun for me with all the MODS already available. RWG Performance could be better. But overall I can live with that version, especially because I play offline only. However, I'm curious how the developers will communicate the new folder restriction to the Linux gamers - with their often even smaller main partitions.

No problem for linux users, the location is in the home dir of the user. Normally that is just "beside" the default steam dir where all the games are stored.

But at the moment there are NO mod folder restrictions at all. There is just an additional location where mods are looked for. A modded game should run without any changes to the Mods folder.

@Hated & @Scumgrief

Adding the absolute path to my server config fixed the access problem.  My XML config has always had the user/save data folder elements but the paths were relative ( e.g. ./Data ) changing them to have the absolute path enables access again.

Example:

<property name="UserDataFolder"     value="D:/TCAFiles/Users/petert/12345/Data" />
    <property name="SaveGameFolder"   value="D:/TCAFiles/Users/petert/12345/Save" /> 

FYI: We always connect via IP Address, have not checked search screen

Edited by ThePewter
Added connection method (see edit history)

5 hours ago, kdthehun said:

I don't live in the US. Not everyone does.

So it seems reasonable to you to condescend to someone trying to help you?  The company you bought your computer from likely does operate in the US, as most of the common brands do, so the ruling might apply to you even though you don't live in the US, as it would have changed their entire warranty policy.  Maybe you should find out before you admit defeat.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

No problem for linux users, the location is in the home dir of the user. Normally that is just "beside" the default steam dir where all the games are stored.

But at the moment there are NO mod folder restrictions at all. There is just an additional location where mods are looked for. A modded game should run without any changes to the Mods folder.

Thanks for the clarification.

2 hours ago, FFW_Rude said:

And i just saw they added a message on the loading to say : "Hey it's alpha if it doesn't work well... That happens". That's pretty @%$#ty to have added that the day they @%$# up server.

Should stop posting. I'm too mad about it.

This game's entire life cycle will remain in alpha.  So it's not acceptable for people to shrug and tell you that, much less the developers.  The game is 9 years old.  If it's still in alpha after all this time, it will never leave alpha.  And being in alpha is no excuse for haphazardly wiping out people's entire servers with no means of getting them back and no accountability of ruining it in the first place.

Edited by vasti (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Red51 said:

You may want to look into a little anger management my friend...   :)

Wonder how you would feel like when there is something that you love gets turned into a piece of crap. Something that you have purchased multiple copies of because you wanted to support the makers of, even though you can't really afford it, sped over 5500 hours on it, spend over 2000 hours creating MODS for it, suddenly getting a change that totally undermines everything you did and loved about it. I bet you would just take it lying down, and say 'Harder daddy'. 

I have promoted this game for years. I myself own 6 copies because I wanted to support the Fun Pimps. I have recommended to more then a dozen of my friends this game and they ALL bought a copy. We all love(d) it because of the great modding ability this game offer(ed). Now, they are trying to destroy the modding community. Just put yourself in the shoes of a mod maker before you make dumb comments and try to look smug and 'superior'.

Edit: I have been a member here since 2015 I have seen this game do @%$# changes one after another. This game used to be one of the best survival horde games out there. I have seen how the Survival aspect of the game is getting dumbed down with each update to satisfy snowflakes like yourself. By the time this game comes out of Alpha it will have nothing to do with survival anymore at this rate. It's like buying a car that you pay for full price up front they ship you a car, but they insist that you take it in for servicing regularly where they keep removing parts of it till all you got is a skidmark. So please you who joined only yesterday, don't try to tell us what's what.

(Edited by Moderator: Personal attacks will not be tolerated)

Edited by meganoth
personal attack (see edit history)

1 hour ago, kdthehun said:

By the time this game comes out of Alpha it will have nothing to do with survival anymore at this rate.

Regarding the pure challenge of survival 'Subsistence' already surpasses '7 Days To Die'.  It's damn difficult. 'Green Hell' is also more focused on Survival and will give you a hard time. But the building systems of this games are rather limited compared to 7 Days To Die. No surprise, they don't use a Voxel engine.

7 Days To Die is the most complete Zombie-Survival-Crafting-Building package I've played so far. Everything that makes 7 Days To Die more casual, will transform it gradually into a game that I don't want to play anymore. You can always make this game harder, but please don't make it easier.       

Edited by grendelwolf (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, kdthehun said:

Wonder how you would feel like when there is something that you love gets turned into a piece of crap. Something that you have purchased multiple copies of because you wanted to support the makers of, even though you can't really afford it, sped over 5500 hours on it, spend over 2000 hours creating MODS for it, suddenly getting a change that totally undermines everything you did and loved about it. I bet you would just take it lying down, and say 'Harder daddy'. 

I have promoted this game for years. I myself own 6 copies because I wanted to support the Fun Pimps. I have recommended to more then a dozen of my friends this game and they ALL bought a copy. We all love(d) it because of the great modding ability this game offer(ed). Now, they are trying to destroy the modding community. Just put yourself in the shoes of a mod maker before you make dumb comments and try to look smug and 'superior'.

Edit: I have been a member here since 2015 I have seen this game do @%$# changes one after another. This game used to be one of the best survival horde games out there. I have seen how the Survival aspect of the game is getting dumbed down with each update to satisfy snowflakes like yourself. By the time this game comes out of Alpha it will have nothing to do with survival anymore at this rate. It's like buying a car that you pay for full price up front they ship you a car, but they insist that you take it in for servicing regularly where they keep removing parts of it till all you got is a skidmark. So please you who joined only yesterday, don't try to tell us what's what.

(Edited by Moderator: Personal attacks will not be tolerated)

The Fun Pimps have previous versions of 7 Days To Die available on steam through selecting "betas" tab.  Any previous version that has the content you purchased is still available to play exactly the way you wanted to.  As the progress of the game continues to expand in development for expanding across more platforms, some things have to change to make it work.  Your feedback is always appreciated, however The Fun Pimps have been generating updates regularly based on many people's initial investments.  I've played since A1.1a, and am thankful that they decided to support the modding community and even went so far as to unobfuscate their code, which really opened up potential for community as a whole.  It's just my perspective, I would rather have new content for free, than purchase each new patch as DLC.  Any bugs that you find are also welcome to be reported on the forums, as they seem to continue to fix them with each update.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:17 AM, kdthehun said:

There you done it! Officially messed the game up for a whole load of people! Moving the Mods folder was THE greatest lamest stupidest thing to do. You don't realize that MOST people don't have much space on drive C:\ . Especially for Modpacks that are 2-9 GB in size. Yes there ARE modpacks that are that huge. The other thing is, what now we have to go and mess about with the folders there every time we want to play a different modpack? You know, some of us are playing a different modpack every several hours a day or different one every other day of the week. So we had 1-2 Terrabyte space on secondary drives, but barely 15GB on drive c:\ and windows and stuff need 10+ GB free or it starts freaking out because Microsoft, so now you come along and mess with the delicate balance some of us have to juggle with. You know some of us had up to 8 different copies of the game on secondary drive each with a different set of Mods/Modpacks/Mods in the making and now all that going to be f-ed with. You do realize that MANY people buy your game because of the great Modding support it had till now and you just tossed the mother of all wrenches into those delicate clockwork? Also, the server searching thing you guys made sux. BIG time! This update first felt like a late April's Fool's joke. But then I realized you are not Blizzard... No, you guys are seriously think that this is something good.... THIS is the update that SHOULD NOT have been. I'm sure you'll see many many many many more comments like this... Some may be worded more nicely, some may not be worded as nicely. But there will be plenty more from loads of people.... I would hate to leave this game. I have nearly 5500 hours in this game. I have spent many many hours creating modlets for this game. I have genuine love for this game.... I would really hate to loose it because you felt like moving the Mods folder out of the game folder was a good idea..... You are cutting off support for mods....

I don't know what kind of person dislikes this comment.

It is salient, and perfectly legitimate 🤷🏻‍♂️

36 minutes ago, Beelzebubs Ghost said:

I don't know what kind of person dislikes this comment.

It is salient, and perfectly legitimate 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, considering that it still works in the old place... and know it opens up more support on other platforms... I can see why people may be thinking that it's a bit over dramatic.

Sometimes I think you are doing those region splits more out of culture than actual problems observed in the game. It doesn't make much sense. I DO like region filters, could these could be broader.

Careful with Kuosimodo, he runs downvoting every complaint in the forum lol

8 hours ago, vasti said:

So it seems reasonable to you to condescend to someone trying to help you?  The company you bought your computer from likely does operate in the US, as most of the common brands do, so the ruling might apply to you even though you don't live in the US, as it would have changed their entire warranty policy.  Maybe you should find out before you admit defeat.

Ummm not it doesn't even if the company does operate in the US. US Laws are for the US ONLY. They are NOT international laws. IF the ruling was made at the International Court of Brussels, then it would. Please don't give misinformation to people based on your feelings. I understand you are trying to be helpful, but wishing doesn't make it apply to all countries. 1 Ruling in 1 Country doesn't make it apply to the rest of the world. Take for example the law the EU made regarding memes and stuff. That applies to all EU countries but doesn't to UK, which is also in Europe but not in the EU. Also it don't apply to the US and Canada. I'm well aware of their and your good intentions, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions or so the saying goes. Do not think that I didn't look up laws and ruling that apply to my country regarding the warranty on my device.

18 hours ago, cheebsco said:

The Fun Pimps have previous versions of 7 Days To Die available on steam through selecting "betas" tab.  Any previous version that has the content you purchased is still available to play exactly the way you wanted to.  As the progress of the game continues to expand in development for expanding across more platforms, some things have to change to make it work.  Your feedback is always appreciated, however The Fun Pimps have been generating updates regularly based on many people's initial investments.  I've played since A1.1a, and am thankful that they decided to support the modding community and even went so far as to unobfuscate their code, which really opened up potential for community as a whole.  It's just my perspective, I would rather have new content for free, than purchase each new patch as DLC.  Any bugs that you find are also welcome to be reported on the forums, as they seem to continue to fix them with each update.

In some ways you are right but in some I do not agree with you.
Yes I can select ALMOST any version of the game and go back to that I'm not an idiot.
But if I make a mod for say A12 who on earth would download it and play it? 
Where is the fun in playing mods that I make just by myself?
You see it really feels like as a Mod maker/content creator that Fun Pimps are now trying to stop people from making mods by messing things up in every new update.

Fine, they change stuff, but then let the modding community know what they changed! But they don't! The changelog they publish hardly tells you anything as a Mod maker.
Take A20.3 for example. 

This small hotfix addresses a change to the Twitch authentication, allowing users the continue using it after February is over.

This build was supposed to go out Wednesday, but Twitch did a test run, which forces us to put it out early.

There is no reason any of you should have to start over with this update.

Expect A20.4 with general fixes on EXP by end of this week or early next week.

We hope you enjoy!

This doesn't say ANYTHING as to what they fixed. It broke 2 of my modlets I had running on my public server that used some buffs from Twitch buffs. It resulted in a world wipe. Players were not happy. I wasn't happy.

EDIT: So please when making helpful comments, see what I was replying to, and what that person was replying to and don't take things out of context and try to be helpful. 

Edited by cheebsco
Rude. (see edit history)

13 hours ago, meganoth said:

Yes for one instance of the game. Some of us have 2-3 copies of the game that we launch from where each mod folder had a different set of mods depending on what we planned on playing that session (Twitch/YouTube/Friends/Testing for the heck of it) etc.

Yes I can select ALMOST any version of the game and go back to that I'm not an idiot.
You see it really feels like as a Mod maker/content creator that Fun Pimps are now trying to stop people from making mods by messing things up in every new update.

Fine, they change stuff, but then let the modding community know what they changed! But they don't! The changelog they publish hardly tells you anything as a Mod maker.
Take A20.3 for example.

This doesn't say ANYTHING as to what they fixed. It broke 2 of my modlets I had running on my public server that used some buffs from Twitch buffs. It resulted in a world wipe. Players were not happy. I wasn't happy.

So please when making dumb comments, see what I was replying to, and what that person was replying to and don't take things out of context and try to be smart ass.

You look at the situation very one-sidedly.
First, if you are the owner or administrator of the server, you should make regular backups.
Secondly, before installing the update on the main server, the update is tested on the backup server to check the compatibility of user mods and find and fix possible problems.
These are the foundations of the foundations, the responsibility for which lies with you.
Thirdly, the game is in alpha version and this means that you agree with all the changes if you launched the game before the official release. Otherwise, as you were told above, you can install one of the previous stable versions and stay on it. The question is "who will play on this version? not for developers, but for you.
Developers don't have to report to you every line of code they change.
If you do not understand some of the changes and have problems, you can ask a question in the appropriate forum threads or submit a bug report.

Take A20.3 for example. 

So please when making dumb comments, see what I was replying to, and what that person was replying to and don't take things out of context ******

If we go back to context we can clearly see you commenting on the Mod folder change. Which 1) does not change anything to Mod makers currently (except if there are bugs) and 2) is clearly communicated in the Changelog.

And Cheebsco clearly replied to that. So he was actually looking at the context. So which is the dumb comment here?

In the post above you actually bring up a much better example of imperfect communication.

29 minutes ago, Hox13 said:

Yes for one instance of the game. Some of us have 2-3 copies of the game that we launch from where each mod folder had a different set of mods depending on what we planned on playing that session (Twitch/YouTube/Friends/Testing for the heck of it) etc.

Yes, and they all will still search for Mods in the Program folder and should work exactly like they did in 20.3 (provided the patches did not introduce new bugs).

Please read the changelog again: It clearly says that the new location is searched in addition to the old one. And that is all I'm saying. In A20.4 all the copies you installed will look for Mods in the usual location in the programs folder itself. They will additionally look somewhere else but that will not be a problem for you as there should be nothing there.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Anyone know whats happening with LAN connectivity?   

When I try and connect to my dedicated server from a computer on the same network, it is using the public IP address instead of the internal one. 

And it doesn't connect giving me an Unable to retrieve server information error 

On 4/25/2022 at 6:52 PM, jenniann said:

I just keep getting timed out when trying to join my own server. Server has loaded fine, I can find it in the list but times out and cannot connect. The error box says could not retrieve server information. Was fine until this update

This is my problem.  Were you able to get it to work? 

On 4/25/2022 at 7:17 PM, kdthehun said:

There you done it! Officially messed the game up for a whole load of people! Moving the Mods folder was THE greatest lamest stupidest thing to do. You don't realize that MOST people don't have much space on drive C:\ . Especially for Modpacks that are 2-9 GB in size. Yes there ARE modpacks that are that huge. The other thing is, what now we have to go and mess about with the folders there every time we want to play a different modpack? You know, some of us are playing a different modpack every several hours a day or different one every other day of the week. So we had 1-2 Terrabyte space on secondary drives, but barely 15GB on drive c:\ and windows and stuff need 10+ GB free or it starts freaking out because Microsoft, so now you come along and mess with the delicate balance some of us have to juggle with. You know some of us had up to 8 different copies of the game on secondary drive each with a different set of Mods/Modpacks/Mods in the making and now all that going to be f-ed with. You do realize that MANY people buy your game because of the great Modding support it had till now and you just tossed the mother of all wrenches into those delicate clockwork? Also, the server searching thing you guys made sux. BIG time! This update first felt like a late April's Fool's joke. But then I realized you are not Blizzard... No, you guys are seriously think that this is something good.... THIS is the update that SHOULD NOT have been. I'm sure you'll see many many many many more comments like this... Some may be worded more nicely, some may not be worded as nicely. But there will be plenty more from loads of people.... I would hate to leave this game. I have nearly 5500 hours in this game. I have spent many many hours creating modlets for this game. I have genuine love for this game.... I would really hate to loose it because you felt like moving the Mods folder out of the game folder was a good idea..... You are cutting off support for mods....

Use symbolic links (using the 'Link Shell Extension') between your D/E drives and the C drive MODS directory. Unlike regular shortcuts, most programs can work just fine with a symbolically linked directory. So you can keep all your mods and large files on your big drive, and just drop a symbolic link or hard link into your C drive where the game looks for the mods directory.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Please read the changelog again: It clearly says that the new location is searched in addition to the old one. And that is all I'm saying.

The problem is:

On 4/25/2022 at 6:47 PM, Hated said:
  • In a future build this will change to only load from that new location so no data is written/changed in the program folder at any time. 

The game still searches in the old MODS-folder too. But it seems you have other plans in the future...