Skill System

Nifu

According to the previous stretch goal information there is eventually going to be a skill tree and experience system. I'm looking forward to this feature in a future release and thought I'd offer some suggestions on the subject. A skill system should promote team work without eliminating features of the game from a single user (ie. you can't farm unless you have the skill). In essence, everyone should be able to do everything that is contained within the game, but if you're skilled in said task than you perform it better. Examples: [B]Hunting[/B] [LIST] [*]Higher damage versus animals. [*]Faster harvesting time. [*]Higher percentage chance to find additional meat on the animal. [*]Higher percentage chance to find additional hides on the animal. [/LIST] [B]Medicine[/B] [LIST] [*]Ability to apply bandages, splints, painkillers, and antibiotics to others. [*]Apply bandages quicker and to greater effect. [/LIST] [B]Construction[/B] [LIST] [*]Craft items faster than normal. [*]Crafted items have a higher durability. [*]Less materials required to repair an item. [*]Build, repair, and upgrade time reduced. [/LIST] [B]Scavenging[/B] [LIST] [*]Faster looting of NPC structures such as cabinets, backpacks, suitcases, etc. [*]Higher percentage chance to find a larger quantity of an item. [*]Higher percentage chance to find rares. [*] [/LIST] [B]Scout[/B] [LIST] [*]Ability to share your map with others. [*]Larger radius of fog of war/map revealed through movement. [*]Additional stamina. [*]Superior vision at night. [/LIST] [B]Gatherer[/B] [LIST] [*]Harvest stone, ore, and wood faster. [*]Higher percentage chance for a larger yield on stone, ore, and wood. [*]Higher percentage chance for a larger yield on grass and flowers. [/LIST] The aforementioned skill suggestions are merely examples, but offer an idea of the concept behind the overall feel of the system. In my opinion, it allows every user to experience the game in its entirety while at the same time fostering specialization among players so that each individual feels they are a significant contribution to their team. The skills should be balanced in such a way that a player desires to have them ALL, but simply can't due to the numeric systems in place that prevents the ability to max every skill. This ensures cooperation and tactical decision making among groups. In closing, I'm not familiar which route TFP are deciding to take the skill system, but I figured I'd offer one player's perspective. Either way I'm looking forward to its implementation as I feel it'll add a lot of diversity to the game.

Great ideas IMO. I've not read/do not know anything about the developers' plans, but your ideas are good. I'd take it even further and offer high level specializations if you follow certain trees. The crafter can go for stone work specializations, or metal working, etc. and those move on to things like machining (high precision products, etc.). So you might pick up basic farming so you can have your own little garden, but mainly you are making precision parts replacements for various weaponry, or you know how to make a highly effective sentry turret, given the right materials and machinery to produce it. etc.

I hope they go for a three way method for Skills/Character Development. The below is just my idea(s) and hopes and I accept that the developers may completely ignore them! 1 The more you do something the quicker you get. i.e. 1 min to make a sharp stone, then every 60 stones it drops a second until it takes 5 seconds. And damage increases the more you kill a zombie/animal the more damage you do. Maybe less resources to repair weapons and tools. 2 Skinning Animals, cement, bullets, antibiotics, farming ect needs to be unlocked by a book 3 Character unlocks. Things like extra stealth while running, faster running and assorted things Whilst on Multiplayer [B]not[/B] being able to be Jack of all trades, therefore leaving a lot of specialization. Meaning you can only get the top Tier of unlocks with a few skills but being to able to half unlock all others. They should all be available in Singleplayer though.

Archived