Has anyone played on Steam Deck?

teisharocz

13 hours ago, Sakurambo said:

i didn't think anyone has played anything on a steam deck yet

the expected availability is for october 2022 at least

October is availability for new orders right now. But some of the people who preordered the deck a year ago should already have one.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

controller support for 7d2d is ok until you get into ANY menu and then it is way to slow and inaccurate for me. I tried to play with a controller on my PC and I just couldnt do it long enough to get through the tutorial quest at the start. I was using a PS4 controller, so the touch pad at the top let me mimic a mouse, but even still I would much rather use mouse and keyboard. Its just frustrating as heck in menus.

Having come from the Playstation version of the game, I only play using a controller(PS4) and I have no serious drawbacks using it. Although I may have spent some time tweaking it to perform better, I don't really remember its been awhile. So I would imagine that if a game is labeled "playable" it will work well enough for some but annoy others to much to play.🤷‍♂️

Edited by outhous (see edit history)

I’m waiting for my steam deck (also set for late October) and plan to post if others do not on how well it works “in vanilla”, on large monitor, as well as try modding it.  Likely also want to see what graphics settings the game chooses “by default” and see how it handles (FPS wise) more zeds, dishong tower, and ultra settings. Everyone: please don’t wait for me, jump in and do this as soon as someone gets one!

I originally played on PS4 and yeah, using the menus was a chore but also made the game harder as you couldn’t easily pop into your backpack and swap stuff to your toolbelt fast (which could be a thrilling challenge when you’re running from a horde or trapped in a Room with zeds beating down the door). I enjoyed PS4 version so much it was part of why I purchased a new PC (a small part).

anyway, without looking I believe the “playable” ranking for 7D2D was because of the game launcher? Might need to be navigated As well as some text in the menus could be small/hard to read. My *guess* is since the game already supports controllers, it will be similar to PS4 already. You can create your own button mappings/profile which I hope will make using the touchscreen/touchpad very viable and speed up the menu movement.  I hope these profiles/mappings are easily loadable or something so the community can crank some out quickly for everyone. 

also: disclaimer: I’m way too over excited for the steam deck, so I’m pretty shiny blind at this point of how great it will turn out to be. But I have very underpowered PCs right now so hoping it will be “good enough” and I can retire my PS4 subscription, not buy a new pc/graphics cards, and just use it as my new gaming system for awhile (sometimes on my PC monitor/TV). I don’t play much “resource heavy” games except 7D2D so it miiiiiiight work. Though I heard the screen resolution right now is not changeable in it, so hmmm maybe a future software update can handle larger screens better.

2 hours ago, Maharin said:

Just use a mouse and keyboard with your Steam Deck.  Duh.

:p

I know that’s a joke/sarcasm But There’s a dock for it and I actually plan to try it out once the dock releases, IF I can get decent FPS/resolution on a tv or computer monitor first. Maybe. It would be more for Factorio or oxygen not included, something with a lot of “stuff” on screen to click on or keyboard shortcuts. Knowing how 7Days plays on console I believe it will be perfectly fine as-is :). Of course. With such a tiny screen it might be a pain to use bows. 

• 5 months later...

I can play it but not the way I would like to play. It works well for me, but I have to use the controller built in. I want to use a portable wireless keyboard & mouse instead. If anyone figures out how to do this please share the layout and proton information please.

Personally I don’t think games with high information menus translate well to small screens. I’ve run into problems with my Switch where because of the size while the game is technically “playable” it is only enjoyable when my switch is docked to my television. I wonder how many PC game menus are going to be a pain in the butt on the Steam Deck screen? I guess there’s always reading glasses…lol

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this topic was abandoned, but I just wanted to chime in and say my experience with 7D2D on the Deck has been wonderful so far.

At first, I'd tried playing it in 'gaming mode' with a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, and I found it just about as irritating to play as I did with the console version back in the day. Entirely playable, IF you can deal with the controls.

I then went into 'desktop mode' using a keyboard and mouse, alongside a portable monitor, and honestly speaking, it's legitimately the same experience as I've had on PC.

It's a little chunky on 'high' but if you're playing for more than the graphical experience, I find 'medium' preset to be just fine :)