Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

6 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

think of it as a loot container that watches time tick. other then that they dont do anything and after set times you can loot 1, or 2 or 3 jars of drinking water (if you open it before enough time has passed, it will just be empty) so no, you wont see anything changing but a small blue bar on each jar slot that represent like a stamina bar slowly filling up. it doesnt function like forge nor the work bench so there is no notable lag (at least i have never seen any) and the most we had was 5 collectors at one time.

but each player and computer may get different results. :)

5 collectors at once... ... NOOB!    :D

Imagine as far as the eyes can see...  Blocking out the very sun!    Fueling the massive Military-Industrial complex of greedy players.   Water. LOTS of water!

Oh yes, it will happen.   A full, large storge chest is my goal for many items.    :)

58 minutes ago, faatal said:

Fine.

Sure, I fixed the reflection probe bug.

Ready for release then!  We are all ready!!!!!

2 hours ago, Doomofman said:

Any new RWG stamps been added in A21? The rivers in particular in A20 repeated way too much

I tried making a river stamp and I've not yet found a satisfying combination. The trouble is they don't look like rivers, but like a lake. The S shaped one that comes with the game looks like an oxbow lake, which is cool, but those are found near rivers.

I tried making a very large river system stamp with the idea that it might overlay the entire map. The troubles were (1) it got placed more than once, (2) it got scaled up/down, (3) and other stamps overlayed it making a river with weird connecting lakes and very weird paths through mountains.

While I'm entirely cool with using stamps for terrain and the speed of map generation they represent, but I'm wondering if rivers need to be generated to look good.

4 minutes ago, zztong said:

I tried making a river stamp and I've not yet found a satisfying combination. The trouble is they don't look like rivers, but like a lake. The S shaped one that comes with the game looks like an oxbow lake, which is cool, but those are found near rivers.

I tried making a very large river system stamp with the idea that it might overlay the entire map. The troubles were (1) it got placed more than once, (2) it got scaled up/down, (3) and other stamps overlayed it making a river with weird connecting lakes and very weird paths through mountains.

While I'm entirely cool with using stamps for terrain and the speed of map generation they represent, but I'm wondering if rivers need to be generated to look good.

You can use Teragon while we wait for the news from vanilla.

It would be awesome to see the navezgane only pois being integrated with rwg. like let's say that there's a big lake it could chose from one of the 6 different docks pois that are nav only I know they already exist in nav but I think it would add a little more variety to the already coming additions to it. I forgot what the docks game name is something like docks_02 not sure but the one with the cool flooded area when you go through that pipe.

11 hours ago, faatal said:

Fine.

Sure, I fixed the reflection probe bug.

Space aliens confirmed for A21 (or A22?)

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

You can use Teragon while we wait for the news from vanilla.

10 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Is it out yet?  link?

Link is in his description.

Edited by Gamida
Keep forgetting fit combines posts if close enough to each other (see edit history)

1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Is it out yet?  link?

Yep, and it works great.  Though there is a decent learning curve to get a good looking map.  Well worth the time.  Just don't expect it to generate as quickly as RWG right now. 😁

14 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Does it work easily with the compopack?

I haven't ever used that so haven't tried it with Teragon, but there has been discussion of it on their discord and there is a tutorial video about how to use it with Teragon, so there is a good chance it does.  If you check their discord for the tutorial channel, there should be the YouTube video about it.  Or, you can look at the video linked above and check the other related videos to find it that way.

1 hour ago, CheekyCat said:

What do you think about adding a complete breakdown of weapons and tools? After a certain number of repairs, the item can only be disassembled. Or does each repair increase the chance of a complete breakdown

49 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

I tend to become overly attached to my stuff over time, so no thx, not for me.

In fact, I would rather see my stuff getting a little bonus e.g. in damage, fire rate, critical chance, when I keep it in perfect condition.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of equipment breaking and unable to repair.  As an option, sure, but not required.

It is one thing if you are regularly getting better equipment, but when there is nothing better than T6, once you have that, having to downgrade it keep replacing with the same thing isn't a good thing.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

I tend to become overly attached to my stuff over time, so no thx, not for me.

In fact, I would rather see my stuff getting a little bonus e.g. in damage, fire rate, critical chance, when I keep it in perfect condition.

You know what? You gave me a great idea (I think). What if we had "weapon experience" (like for celestial powers in Grim Dawn), where the more we use one specific weapon, the more we become accustomed to it and at some point we "level up" and we get some kind of bonus?

It makes sense IMO, it's like using the same knife or handgun for months... after a while you can compensate for every little defect or quirk of that specific weapon. :laser:

5 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Does it work easily with the compopack?

yes, Tallmanbrad has just put up a video on youtube showing how. i would recommend watching his videos as Teragon is easy but not straightforward to tweak things like height maps etc. i just generated an 8K world with erosion . it didnt take too long but the roads took most of it. i had 78% cpu utilisation during erosion but it drops to under 9% when generating roads and only seems to use 1 maybe 2 cores wheras the rest seemed to use all 16..still i highly recomend trying it .

Edited by spud42 (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Gamida said:

Space aliens confirmed for A21 (or A22?)

Link is in his description.

While Pille deserves the free publicity (he has amazing creative talent), I do find this RWG :

1- Slower than the current one.

2- Less user-friendly, some nice customizable options though.

3- The new options don't really justify the results, which are similar to the current RWG in most cases, barring a few cool landscape features and general landscapes, (I'm guessing hand-made?).

4- Overall, the generated maps are ok, and the preview style is beautiful. It's a nice mod, BUT I like Robert's better (barring the bugs that it currently has, wonky filling biome slider visuals, not showing biomes selected to less than 8% in smaller map sizes, very few terrain features on each feature option, etc). 

Let's just see what a21's RWG looks like, IN APRIL (lol).

12 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

You know what? You gave me a great idea (I think). What if we had "weapon experience" (like for celestial powers in Grim Dawn), where the more we use one specific weapon, the more we become accustomed to it and at some point we "level up" and we get some kind of bonus?

Yes absolutely.

I like your "learning by using" concept, which obviously is completely different from the infamous "learning by doing" 

...hush, don't let 'em recognize...

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

It makes sense IMO, it's like using the same knife or handgun for months... after a while you can compensate for every little defect or quirk of that specific weapon. :laser:

i must say what an excellent idea jost, i like the way you describe it and i could imagine some sort of weapon mastery tab for skills once you reach a certain point. of course not saying this is confirmed just letting my imagination lead me. 😀

I like that guy's YouTube show:  Lots of energy, he has an amazing memory down to where zombies are in each POI.

Also, I learned a few tricks from him, but I do like my "brute force" fortresses.

He's making that silo POI look pretty darn good and cozy IMO.

@faatal Hi Faatal, I have a question regarding the painting system

'flipping' run-down broken stuff, houses, even neighborhoods is something I rather enjoy as an endgame activity, and yet the current selection of textures is quite scarce

I'm reasonably proficient at texture making and would love to be able to jump on that boat for myself (and others who may feel as i do)

so on that note, are there any plans to facilitate the introduction of new textures into the game?

12 hours ago, Aldranon said:

I like that guy's YouTube show:  Lots of energy, he has an amazing memory down to where zombies are in each POI.

Also, I learned a few tricks from him, but I do like my "brute force" fortresses.

He's making that silo POI look pretty darn good and cozy IMO.

I took a break from him for a bit, but I've been catching up on that series. But rather you like him, or that series, it's literally 20 seconds of him speaking his mind of some changes to the game and how he feels. No boring fists-only content, and not enough of him even if you don't like him.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)