Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

19 hours ago, bdubyah said:

I wonder if the sleeper block was placed on that missing floor block, and the game wouldn't allow it to spawn as it deemed it in the air?

I've had the problem when a part of the building collapses before the zombies spawn in in a zone.  It's just inconvenient to fail a quest.

57 minutes ago, Kandrathe said:

I've had the problem when a part of the building collapses before the zombies spawn in in a zone.  It's just inconvenient to fail a quest.

Perhaps there needs to be a check to see if it can spawn there and if not, falls back to spawning on a nearby block or removing that spawn from the quest requirements if that is too hard to accomplish without problems.

I know the traders are getting a bit of a balance pass in A21, but I was wondering what the chances of quest rewards changing is? It seems odd that they don't really follow your gamestage, but just what tier the quest is. I kind of get it, but it can end up where your normal GS and your quest tier are really far apart.

7 hours ago, Kandrathe said:

If level 6 items were always better than level 5.  I feel the RNG min/max on item stats s/b more of a gaussian curve (e.g. instead of linear random from min to max.  I would add 3 random numbers (R1+R2+R3 from min to max) divided by 3.)  which moves the stats probability closer to the mean. It would then be more rare for very poor and exceptional items.  Most would be average.

I would favor increased repair costs based on degradation and level, but some level 6 are a steep time investment to acquire.  To have them lost or unrepairable would be tragic and often deadly.

Modifying your formula, I would make weapon damage = (Weapon level * 2 * ((Weapons Random Damage1 + WRD2 + WRD3) /3)

This would go far in making a higher-level weapon a "No Brainer" better weapon.

However, repairing a near Match Grade weapon (level 6) with a hunk of iron and some glue just breaks the game a bit for me.

For me: Once I have a M60, the games challenge is over.  Until then, level 6 weapons with the extra mod slot should be harder to keep at that state (Level 6).

Your repair cost suggestions go far in helping (if implemented).

16 hours ago, Roland said:

Anytime such things like fishing gets brought up, Madmole says that there needs to be some things saved for 7 Days to Die 2. So its possible some of these features might come in the future but not for this game.

my fist ever gamer tag was fishkiller. think berkeley university and the birth of the internet and moria

fishing is my primary...     drive i suppose.

i have a degree in fisheries and aquaculture

if fishing makes it into 7dtd then there is no reason for the real world to exist

full lawnmower man.

and yes i like gardening as well. in fact i am bowing out of society and planting a food forest in the tippy top of new zealand.

scary correlations all around.

if you get all those references then id like to marry your granddaughter

Did you miss the times where zombies had EXTREME deformations on death?

That was an official fun pimping time with LOLZ for one and all!  :)

I've wondered if it was just a wink back at those days.  Probably not.

If I was to get serious, I could easily incorporate that into the grand plan (The player is having fever dreams and is in a special coma from the zombie virus and will wake up in part 2!).

On 1/18/2023 at 7:10 PM, meganoth said:

Exactly. How to make a bug report with that? A "simple" console command to show the location of all remaining zombies either spawned or unspawned would be the easiest way to either show there is no bug and the player is wrong, or there is a bug because he would be standing right there and making a picture.

(for unspawned zombies the location of the spawn area could be shown if their location is not fixed yet)

Yeah that is a great point.

1 hour ago, Morloc said:

There will be naked cowgirls too...right? 🥺

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀

No, just a naked cow.

On 1/15/2023 at 12:55 AM, Blake_ said:

@faatal I have a few questions:

1- Do you know if there are any major features in the works for a21 that have not been revealed yet?

2- Are wandering sleepers a thing in a21?

3- Is Zd dismemberment implemented in all the models for a21?

4- How are the bug fixes coming along? How many MF are getting on the team's nerves?

5- Are you guys in content lock for a21?

6- What are you working on at the moment?

1 I don't think so

2 No

3 Most if not all

4 45, but they are still coming in

5 Mostly

6 Reflection probe texture corruption bug fix and blending improvement

On 1/16/2023 at 7:41 AM, Annihilatorza said:

Hi Faatal

Please don't make it radioactive water, it does my head in, I know it's a game but radiation just does not work that way.

Toxic water sure, dirty water can do, unclean water not a problem.

A biological agent released into the air during the nuclear war has contaminated all water sources and you need a Charcoal water filter (charcoal, crushed sand, stone, plastic, cloth, scrap iron and two buckets) or a dew collector and then the water has to be boiled for you to drink it.

You would have the do that in real world with most water sources anyway as most are not clean enough to drink from.

I'm not going to do it in any form, because I'm not designing this stuff. The point of the feature change was that you don't get to scoop out endless water from lake/rivers. My toxic suggestion was just a way to make it plausible why it is useless, not a way to loop back around so players can clean it and end up with tons of water. Dew collectors serve as that mechanism, if you built a lot.

On 1/15/2023 at 10:13 PM, Callum123456789 said:

there's a bug right now with alpha 20.6 world generation basically it has a small chance of creating no spawn points for some reason it happens to me every 2/5 maps that i generated for a test is this currently fixed in a21? i think this bug came with 20.6 and didnt get noticed or ironed out before it launched.

There are many changes to RWG in a21, which means old bugs may be gone or still there and there will probably be new ones.

18 hours ago, vergilsparda said:

Since player animation updates are coming to A22, are there any plans to update the animal animations and/or models any further, or at least fix the death rag-doll on mountain lions and zombie dogs so their necks don't hyper extend so awkwardly when they die?

Some or all animal models were in the works to be fixed, a few worked on, but put on hold for other art updates.
I don't know if we have plans for the anims, but they are ugly and should get improved at some point.

Do those dew collectors or whatever it is we will be using to gather up water cause any kind of lag since their content will always be changing and from the sounds of it we will need alot of them. Just wondering if that might have any problems on say a server with a bunch of people and needing to use God knows how many of those things. 

9 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

Do those dew collectors or whatever it is we will be using to gather up water cause any kind of lag since their content will always be changing and from the sounds of it we will need alot of them. Just wondering if that might have any problems on say a server with a bunch of people and needing to use God knows how many of those things. 

I mean, I'm no expert but I don't see how these will be any different than having a bunch of other workstations. Not sure what you mean by content changing, but all it is in the backend is a timer. When the player opens the workstation, it shows X number of water jars based on the amount of time passed since it was last harvested. Not really that resource-demanding. Don't think there is anything to worry about.

think of it as a loot container that watches time tick. other then that they dont do anything and after set times you can loot 1, or 2 or 3 jars of drinking water (if you open it before enough time has passed, it will just be empty) so no, you wont see anything changing but a small blue bar on each jar slot that represent like a stamina bar slowly filling up. it doesnt function like forge nor the work bench so there is no notable lag (at least i have never seen any) and the most we had was 5 collectors at one time.

but each player and computer may get different results. :)