Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

4 hours ago, Riamus said:

The final spawn showed as a yellow dot and I went to this floor.  Right about where that yellow dot was, the floor had been shot through with a shotgun, so I know I had been there and hadn't missed the room.

I wonder if the sleeper block was placed on that missing floor block, and the game wouldn't allow it to spawn as it deemed it in the air?

22 hours ago, FinkPloyd said:

I used KillAll because I suspected that the zombie had spawned but was inside some blocks.

I used god mode to check under the map.

I am sure I did not miss a room.

Another thing that can happen is that a Z can fall off the larger pois, attempt to repath, timeout, and then take a while to respawn at their original location needing to be triggered all over again. 

Also, vultures can similarly get lost if they lost sight of you for long enough.

Either wait for it or set the time forward an hour before you go looking for them in god mode. 

8 minutes ago, Strengthinside said:

Okay, I saw, and read about water rework, but now, important question - fishing WHEN? Please FunPimps, gimme FISH!

Fishing could actually be fun with a single good enough animation  and the player getting deadly zombie fish out of the water most of the time (that only give say 1 rotten meat when killed) but sometimes we could pull out things like a can of dog food, a duke,  a piece of wood, one stone, iron, a gold nugget, etc. That would be a very engaging minigame that I would definitely try out !. And also, the player would be in big trouble if he/she is approached by a crowd of bandits, Zds or predators while fishing .... love the idea.

Edit: Given that the full world is radiated, I wouldn't expect viable food from the water, but all of the above could be tons of fun. @Roland , do you know if there have been any talks about this for a21 or any other point in the future?

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Slasher said:

Does the Craters, Cracks feature in random generating worlds have POI's that spawn with them and or paths within their surroundings?

I recently added some Cracks (Canyons) stamps to my modlet. They're not associated with POIs in any way. I'm not sure what terrain features ultimately allow for POI placement, but POIs did place near them and paths/roads did take advantage of favorable terrain. That is, I did not see paths going over cliffs, but when there was a viable path through rough terrain a path did use it.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

i think allowing poi placement on mountains and craters would be good however im not sure if that is allowed as of right now due to the mountains being very rough. the only way i can think of this being possible is some change in the rwg code that allows some sort of smoothening when there is a possible location to place a poi however wilderness poi path generation is another story.

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Strengthinside said:

Okay, I saw, and read about water rework, but now, important question - fishing WHEN? Please FunPimps, gimme FISH!

Spoiler

Free Stock Photo 1298-tropical_fish_0995.JPG | freeimageslive

12 hours ago, Slasher said:

Does the Craters, Cracks feature in random generating worlds have POI's that spawn with them and or paths within their surroundings?

The only one who can really answer is @Crater Creator I think.

12 hours ago, Slasher said:

i can confirm that they do spawn around them however there are no pois that spawn needing a crater nearby to spawn and also no pois spawn in craters from numerous tests i have done same goes for lakes and rivers wilderness pois will spawn around them but cities and towns countrytowns etc will not just wilderness pois.

6 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Fishing could actually be fun with a single good enough animation  and the player getting deadly zombie fish out of the water most of the time (that only give say 1 rotten meat when killed) but sometimes we could pull out things like a can of dog food, a duke,  a piece of wood, one stone, iron, a gold nugget, etc. That would be a very engaging minigame that I would definitely try out !. And also, the player would be in big trouble if he/she is approached by a crowd of bandits, Zds or predators while fishing .... love the idea.

Edit: Given that the full world is radiated, I wouldn't expect viable food from the water, but all of the above could be tons of fun. @Roland , do you know if there have been any talks about this for a21 or any other point in the future?

Anytime such things like fishing gets brought up, Madmole says that there needs to be some things saved for 7 Days to Die 2. So its possible some of these features might come in the future but not for this game.

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Anytime such things like fishing gets brought up, Madmole says that there needs to be some things saved for 7 Days to Die 2. So its possible some of these features might come in the future but not for this game.

@Kuosimodo is asking when 7 day to die 2 release date is, btw. 

There was this tweet from 7 days to die official account

Talking about 20.7. Twitch integration is the best part for streamers, no doubt, also are there any new changes/fixes that we can expect out there ? 

Edited by beerfly (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Brakiss said:

There is mention of alpha 20.7 on twitter, so I guess A21 is even farther away?

Well, they also showed player animations from A22 so I guess that is even closer? ;)

Think of A20.7 as a little slice of A21 that was able to get pushed out sooner than the rest.  Its not a sign of delay. Its a sign of progress!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

14 minutes ago, Roland said:

Well, they also showed player animations from A22 so I guess that is even closer? ;)

Think of A20.7 as a little slice of A21 that was able to get pushed out sooner than the rest.  Its not a sign of delay. Its a sign of progress!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

a20.7 was a20.6 with enough a21 code added to it to make the twitch integration work WITHOUT revealing any a21 features, also it broke a20 at first.

it wasnt and isnt for public hands. a few twitch testers touched it and caressed it but there are no a21 features in it to reveal. :)

the only updates a20.7 get are twitch only... nothing from a20.6 and nothing from a21.

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

i think allowing poi placement on mountains and craters would be good however im not sure if that is allowed as of right now due to the mountains being very rough. the only way i can think of this being possible is some change in the rwg code that allows some sort of smoothening when there is a possible location to place a poi however wilderness poi path generation is another story.

Teragon will create maps with POI on mountains, depending on settings.  It makes it possible by adjusting terrain some to accommodate the POI, but it can lead to a drop off from the downward side, which isn't ideal.  Still, it shows something like this is possible.

57 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

a20.7 was a20.6 with enough a21 code added to it to make the twitch integration work WITHOUT revealing any a21 features, also it broke a20 at first.

it wasnt and isnt for public hands. a few twitch testers touched it and caressed it but there are no a21 features in it to reveal. :)

the only updates a20.7 get are twitch only... nothing from a20.6 and nothing from a21.

Isn't the 20.7 twitch integration what is coming in A21 for the public?  Thus kinda is a A21 feature 😛

On 1/12/2023 at 9:07 AM, Aldranon said:

That is a great idea, a Tier 6 weapon represent mint condition IMO.  So how about once a tier 6 "breaks" it becomes a tier 5 weapon!

A less strict idea would be you can repair/clean a weapon X many times before it degrades to a lower level.  This would be great for me as I focus on getting the ultimate weapon (M60 MG).  But then the game is basically over.  Its double over with the drum ammo mod and any backup damage hose.

If level 6 items were always better than level 5.  I feel the RNG min/max on item stats s/b more of a gaussian curve (e.g. instead of linear random from min to max.  I would add 3 random numbers (R1+R2+R3 from min to max) divided by 3.)  which moves the stats probability closer to the mean. It would then be more rare for very poor and exceptional items.  Most would be average.

I would favor increased repair costs based on degradation and level, but some level 6 are a steep time investment to acquire.  To have them lost or unrepairable would be tragic and often deadly.

On 1/16/2023 at 11:34 PM, Laz Man said:

The Shotgun Messiah is overdue for an update so there very well could be some volumes that can be improved.

The hospital has been updated in A21 so issue might already be resolved for that one.

If you run into any more situations where the orange nav beacon is pointing to a spot but no sleepers are spawning, take a screenshoot  (i.e. F11 key) and submit a bug report so we can try to root cause it faster.

Thanks LAZ, the problem is, there are no red dots and the mission will not end. Doesn't matter where I go. I went into flying mode and flew through walls. As mentioned before I even used killall. Nothing. 

43 minutes ago, dwallorde said:

Isn't the 20.7 twitch integration what is coming in A21 for the public?  Thus kinda is a A21 feature 😛

you know i am talking about other a21 features and not the twitch. geeeesh always someone wants to argue. :)

now what the devs choose to show and not... is totally them and not me.

<steps out to the parking lot with trusty 4x4 club.... urh i mean cane>

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Its not a sign of delay. Its a sign of progress!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Sounds like the pre-release version of "It's not a bug, it's a feature" 😝

1 hour ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

Thanks LAZ, the problem is, there are no red dots and the mission will not end. Doesn't matter where I go. I went into flying mode and flew through walls. As mentioned before I even used killall. Nothing. 

Exactly. How to make a bug report with that? A "simple" console command to show the location of all remaining zombies either spawned or unspawned would be the easiest way to either show there is no bug and the player is wrong, or there is a bug because he would be standing right there and making a picture.

(for unspawned zombies the location of the spawn area could be shown if their location is not fixed yet)