Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

3 hours ago, zookeeper said:

There is. Have you ever shot the policeman? Ie..

Play it more...lol

Both you and BFT2020 are wrong, I don't think that's what we're talking about. @BFT2020 the random part is only for the aggro speed, we're talking about the base zombie speed. Let's say you have two Marlenes in front of you, one is walking around, while the other is always sprinting. That would be much more varied, but maybe also unfair.

Also: @zookeeper, don't go there, you'll get trashed... ;) 

5 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Both you and BFT2020 are wrong, I don't think that's what we're talking about. @BFT2020 the random part is only for the aggro speed, we're talking about the base zombie speed. Let's say you have two Marlenes in front of you, one is walking around, while the other is always sprinting. That would be much more varied, but maybe also unfair.

Also: @zookeeper, don't go there, you'll get trashed... ;) 

Shhhhh... You're too loud. 

34 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Thank you for in-correcting me  🙄

From my post

This is from the zombieMale entity class.  Agro speed has variation but it looks like normal speed doesn't.

So my post was:

• There was random speed already included in the zombies behavior
  • But it is for agro only and not for shambling speed

I could point out that you stated that there was no random speed at the moment and that I was correcting a generalization made, but I won't and take the high road😉

I did check it out and confirmed that I was right, changing the last value to 10 on the agro rand property had a wide range of speeds of 25 @%$#ed off Arlenes chasing after me.

But does it really matter that shambling speed doesn't have variation? 

1 hour ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

Any word on A21 having a fix implemented for clearing missions where we can't locate the last zombie? (Even the killall command doesn't work...) I've had this happen more and more often lately in tier 5 POI's.   

There is already a property that helps the player navigate to uncleared volumes.  Because this property essentially gives away where sleepers are, the value is not set very high by default in order to prevent spoiling things for players.

What specific T5 POI comes to mind?

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

there's a bug right now with alpha 20.6 world generation basically it has a small chance of creating no spawn points for some reason it happens to me every 2/5 maps that i generated for a test is this currently fixed in a21? i think this bug came with 20.6 and didnt get noticed or ironed out before it launched.

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

There is already a property that helps the player navigate to uncleared volumes.  Because this property essentially gives away where sleepers are, the value is not set very high by default in order to prevent spoiling things for players.

When it happens you get the icon on the HUD for the remaining zombies but when you go to that location there are no zombies.

Could not find them even in god mode and looking under the map.

KillAll command did not work.

Has happened to me more often in compo pack POIs.

Last vanilla POI was the high school IIRC.

8 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Thank you for in-correcting me  🙄

From my post

So my post was:

• There was random speed already included in the zombies behavior
  • But it is for agro only and not for shambling speed

I could point out that you stated that there was no random speed at the moment and that I was correcting a generalization made, but I won't and take the high road😉

I did check it out and confirmed that I was right, changing the last value to 10 on the agro rand property had a wide range of speeds of 25 @%$#ed off Arlenes chasing after me.

But does it really matter that shambling speed doesn't have variation? 

It's all good and well, but my point is you were correct on the wrong topic.

You call it "shambling speed", and I'm talking about default speed... my point is it'd be cool to have random speeds for zombies: what's so complicated about that?

I even gave you an example and you both ignored it. I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing and ignoring the topic. But let's stop here, I don't want to start a useless banter on something so irrelevant. I don't think A21 will have random speeds anyway.

11 hours ago, Roland said:

Означает ли это, что другой парень умер? Что здесь за история ... если вы можете юридически сказать?

I meant my life in a real war! :( Managed to stay alive. :)

Sorry, Google translates differently every time, even sometimes it scares me what I see in the second translation. :)

3 hours ago, User2010w said:

I meant my life in a real war! :( Managed to stay alive. :)

Sorry, Google translates differently every time, even sometimes it scares me what I see in the second translation. :)

I would guess the reload speed has to be low so the ammo capacity of the weapon is an important characteristic of the weapon for the player. This is part of the balancing. For example sniper rifles have high damage but need to reload often compared to assault rifles in the game.

7 hours ago, FinkPloyd said:

When it happens you get the icon on the HUD for the remaining zombies but when you go to that location there are no zombies.

Could not find them even in god mode and looking under the map.

KillAll command did not work.

Has happened to me more often in compo pack POIs.

Last vanilla POI was the high school IIRC.

Killall obviously does not work on unspawned zombies. Since the zombie does not get spawned it means you have not triggered the spawn, either because of a bug or you simply not going there. In big buildings it is quite possible to miss a room. And does anyone know whether you spawn sleeper zombies in god mode or when flying?

If it is a bug, it is a hard to reproduce one. I did a quest in that school a few times and never had a problem. And a bug that can't be reproduced is very difficult to fix. Just like solving a murder without evidence.

If you often have the game act in unexpected ways you should observe your FPS. Maybe you are too often below critical values (~20 FPS) and that makes the game behave erratic.

I had a similar problem in a skyscraper. I eventually found the zombie stuck on a walkway. Sadly I don't remember whether I actually walked down the walkway before finally noticing him. So I am not sure if I just did not notice him or he had not spawned until I saw him.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 1/15/2023 at 6:37 AM, faatal said:

Toxic water is a solution I've thought would work, but it means no drinking from lakes and maybe swimming causes health loss, so not as nice to players.
Or radioactive...

Hi Faatal

Please don't make it radioactive water, it does my head in, I know it's a game but radiation just does not work that way.

Toxic water sure, dirty water can do, unclean water not a problem.

A biological agent released into the air during the nuclear war has contaminated all water sources and you need a Charcoal water filter (charcoal, crushed sand, stone, plastic, cloth, scrap iron and two buckets) or a dew collector and then the water has to be boiled for you to drink it.

You would have the do that in real world with most water sources anyway as most are not clean enough to drink from.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:13 PM, bdubyah said:

As Joe already answered, TFP has always been very supportive of modders. I don't see that changing as it just keeps their game alive even longer.
..snip..

Why just use a mod and enjoy the game when you can waste your time crying to TFP about stuff that likely isn't going to go your way, amirite?

Of course you're right. =)

My question wasn't for me, but a gentle reminder to those who have "drawn the line" about certain changes. I know the game will be moddable to our liking. Saying as much myself means nothing to those complaining. Coming from a mod or dev means more.

My post was a no-too-subtle dig at endless arguers.

10 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

there's a bug right now with alpha 20.6 world generation basically it has a small chance of creating no spawn points for some reason it happens to me every 2/5 maps that i generated for a test is this currently fixed in a21? i think this bug came with 20.6 and didnt get noticed or ironed out before it launched.

You will get no spawn points on maps that don't have a starting desert or forest area.

In other words, make an all snow map and you have no spawn points - you will spawn at 0,0 on the map (center). Same for Wasteland.

On 1/15/2023 at 10:29 AM, Jost Amman said:

No random at the moment. But it would be cool to have completely random speeds for some zombies, independently of the game settings. :) 

Or make that variability part of the game settings instead of taking that control away from the players...

9 hours ago, Doomofman said:

It is surprising that there's no 'finish quest' command for when things bug out

In the quest menu there is a button to simply remove a quest so you can take a new one.

If you meant "finish quest successfully" THAT would be just a magnet for players to auto-succeed quests immediately and test their resolve. Sure, TFP could do it, but I don't think it is advisable.

Also, it isn't really safe to say there is a bug.

25 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Also, it isn't really safe to say there is a bug.

I haven't submitted a bug report, but we have experienced the 'hidden' final zombie in the clear quests numerous times. I don't have an empirical evidence, but it feels like it has been a problem since A19, persisting into A20 (though maybe less often?). We have literally destroyed entire buildings looking for the last red dot, not to find anything. 

When we see it happen, we just drop the quest and go do a different one. It is dang frustrating though when it does occur. 

15 hours ago, Laz Man said:

T5 shotgun messiah 

T5 Hospital

We've redone both over and over to the point where we are now avoiding any T5 clears and only doing fetches. So much time gets invested only to get stuck at the end....

I have experienced this once in the shotgun Messiah Factory. I somehow triggered some vultures outside when I was indoors. They were part of another volume I suppose because there was no way to get to them. They took off and weren‘t able to get to me either so they tried to find a way and swiftly were way off (red dots got reeeally small) and eventually couldn‘t be distinguished from other Zs when I triggered another volume. Never got that one finished. I know they are supposed to respawn to their original location but got the feeling they never did. maybe that‘s worth a closer look?

Single player I rarely have issues with not being able to find the last zombie I guess it could be linked to an mp issue, maybe the sleeper volumes aren't activating properly and showing them as they haven't been passed or spawned properly I think that used to be an issue but I haven't encountered that since around 20.2 or 20.3

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, meganoth said:

If you meant "finish quest successfully" THAT would be just a magnet for players to auto-succeed quests immediately and test their resolve. Sure, they could do it, but I don't think it is advisable.

There is already a god mode, endless items on creative menu, and give self XP command.

but a complete bugged quest successfully option is the resolve tester? Lol

1 hour ago, SnowDog1942 said:

There is already a god mode, endless items on creative menu, and give self XP command.

but a complete bugged quest successfully option is the resolve tester? Lol

Yeah I know. There is a very fine line and it has to do with using the console. Everyone knows he is stepping over a line when he uses the console to give himself xp or god mode or items. But a button in one of the normal menues of the game that just gives you the reward whenever you feel you have done enough?

No, as a game designer I definitely would not do that.

What I might do would be a console command that resolves quests somehow. But IF this is a bug, it needs to be fixed, not given a bandaid like this. So I would make that console command print out data to be sent to me so the bug can be found and fixed.

Also, again, I have played A20 for a year now and not had a single quest fail to me (in multiplayer). Now if you regularily have quests fail then a bug is one but not the only possible explanation