Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
meilodasreh

meilodasreh

13 hours ago, zztong said:

If you give cardboard boxes loot then there will be no filler for certain POIs, like warehouses. If there's no filler then to avoid giving out too much loot you have to make the POI empty. For POI design, there still needs to be "filler" that doesn't contain loot. Those cardboard boxes are the filler.

[...]

I'm open to suggestions, but right now I think it's a good thing that boxes aren't lootable.

Doesn't interfere with what I was pointing at, and there are lots of possible solutions.

The thing that @%$#s me is: nobody would accurately tape and stack empty boxes like that. That would only have been done with stuff you would store.

Just check some of the boxes in your attic for what's inside...mostly old toys, clothes, whatever more or less useless stuff out of plastic, cloth, metal...

So, suggestions:

-make a model that these non-interactable deco/filler boxes look obviously opened, e.g. open lids, a little squashed, dented, scratched, whatever...these then can only be harvested for a little paper. When you look at them you should immediately think "nothing left there but the empty shell"

-keep current "neatly stacked boxes" and make them lootable containers, with a limited loot table like <15 scrap polymer, <10 clothes, <10 scrap iron and stuff. Nothing "overpowered", but still useful at least at the beginning. Like a bigger/better version of the regular trash piles on the ground.

-these "neatly stacked boxes" should only be found in household attics, cellars and alike...see it as normal "household garbage storage" that's of no actual use for people but still considered too worthy to throw away...I bet everybody has these exact boxes somewhere right?

-a slightly different model of the "neatly stacked" ones (maybe boxes added with brand labels) could also be used in warehouse poi storage rooms. These should of course contain more better loot.

-or - as I initially suggested - just replace these "neatly stacked boxes" with the new compressed cardboard pallets, these also make good deco/fillers without creating the impression of a lootable container, just for harvesting a bit of paper and wood

-or the most simple solution for my point:

just get totally rid of the "neatly stacked boxes" model, and use other models that don't scream "hey I'm surely lootable" to deco-fill otherwise empty storage shelves

There are already lots in the game, just use one of the many shapes like round pieces of air ducts, diagonal plates/security gates...just anything that looks like somebody shoved some random piece of sheet wood in the shelve. Just to give one example out of countless, there are so many cool shapes already.

And of course the possibilities for new ones that could be modelled are endless.

-or adjust the loot table (slighty decrease amount) for the current "good" storage boxes, and replace all "neatly stacked boxes" with these actual loot boxes.

then also everything that looks lootable is indeed lootable, raised amount of containers compensated by slightly less content, so no balancing change, no overpowering, none of that.

meilodasreh

meilodasreh

13 hours ago, zztong said:

If you give cardboard boxes loot then there will be no filler for certain POIs, like warehouses. If there's no filler then to avoid giving out too much loot you have to make the POI empty. For POI design, there still needs to be "filler" that doesn't contain loot. Those cardboard boxes are the filler.

[...]

I'm open to suggestions, but right now I think it's a good thing that boxes aren't lootable.

Doesn't interfere with what I was pointing at, and there are lots of possible solutions.

The thing that @%$#s me is: nobody would accurately tape and stack empty boxes like that. That would only have been done with stuff you would store.

Just check some of the boxes in your attic for what's inside...mostly old toys, clothes, whatever more or less useless stuff out of plastic, cloth, metal...

So, suggestions:

-make a model that these non-interactable deco/filler boxes look obviously opened, e.g. open lids, a little squashed, dented, scratched, whatever...these then can only be harvested for a little paper. When you look at them you should immediately think "nothing left there but the empty shell"

-keep current "neatly stacked boxes" and make them lootable containers, with a limited loot table like <15 scrap polymer, <10 clothes, <10 scrap iron and stuff. Nothing "overpowered", but still useful at least at the beginning. Like a bigger/better version of the regular trash piles on the ground.

-these "neatly stacked boxes" should only be found in household attics, cellars and alike...see it as normal "household storage" that's of no use but still considered too worthy to throw away...I bet everybody has these exact boxes somewhere right?

-a slightly different model of the "neatly stacked" ones (maybe boxes added with brand labels) could also be used in warehouse poi storage rooms. These should of course contain more better loot.

-or - as I initially suggested - just replace these "neatly stacked boxes" with the new compressed cardboard pallets, these also make good deco/fillers without creating the impression of a lootable container, just for harvesting a bit of paper and wood

just get totally rid of the "neatly stacked boxes" model, and use other models that don't scream "hey I'm surely lootable" to deco-fill otherwise empty storage shelves

There are already lots in the game, just use one of the many shapes like round pieces of air ducts, diagonal plates/security gates...just anything that looks like somebody shoved some random piece of sheet wood in the shelve. Just to give one example out of countless, there are so many cool shapes already.

And of course the possibilities for new ones that could be modelled are endless.

-or adjust the loot table (slighty decrease amount) for the current "good" storage boxes, and replace all "neatly stacked boxes" with these actual loot boxes.

then also everything that looks lootable is indeed lootable, raised amount of containers compensated by slightly less content, so no balancing change, no overpowering, none of that.

meilodasreh

meilodasreh

11 hours ago, zztong said:

[...]

So, suggestions:

-make a model that these non-interactable deco/filler boxes look obviously opened, e.g. open caps, a little squashed, dented, scratched, whatever...these then can only be harvested for a little paper. When you look at them you should immediately think "nothing left there but the empty shell"

-these "neatly stacked boxes" should only be found in household attics, cellars and alike...see it as normal "household storage" that's of no use but still considered too worthy to throw away...I bet everybody has these exact boxes somewhere right?

meilodasreh

meilodasreh

11 hours ago, zztong said:

[...]

So, suggestions:

-make a model that these non-interactable deco/filler boxes look obviously opened, a little squashed, dented, scratched, whatever...these then can only be harvested for a little paper. When you look at them you should immediately think "nothing left there but the empty shell"