I am getting really good. Aka Noob Chronicles

Rotor

At D1 through D3 or D4.

Off to D1, again.

Are there female wolves?  It had to have been, for it to sniff me so far away and then come around to my escape route.

Ofcourse, once the head shot did not kill I should have ran away from that beeyatch.

Edited by Rotor
Starting a log including original post (see edit history)

• Rotor changed the title to I am getting really good. Aka Noob Chronicles

D9

Established a new base at POI with dog kennels and tunnels under POi.  Well defended sturdy other than the tunnels. One block down from Jen's place.

Need to move my stuff from previous POI, burned up house.  Nice, but don't trust the block pheeseeks right now.

I had cleared the poi the night before, pop from roof hatch and there is a wandering horde cruisng through the back alley.  No problem I will go out the front.

Figure I jump on the metal fence so the jump is not that high.  Guess what?  Razor wire is not visible from direct top view.  Damage taken, but not enough to worry at present, not interest in engaging anything at the moment.

Back to the roof off to the over hang for a jump point without barb wire.

Jump/BANG!

Okay I will respawn to see what killed me.

Go to spot.  I can confirm land mines work 😂.

I didn't like my first horde night anyways.  Spent buwets.  I never do.

D1... To be continued.

D5

Set up a base in PoI with 6 silos and broken belt loader tower next door to trader Joel.  Get out bright and early, all bushy tailed and bright eyed.   My quest for today is to find a air drop from earlier previous day.   Jump on street and Mr Wolf is waiting for me around building corner. I back track whacking away only to run into Mrs Zed with the white soiled dress.  Turn and make run for small silo across the street, Up the stairs, so I can turn and continue to shoot from afar.

However, no battle plan survives the first or second engagement.  Jumping unto ledge I did not realize my leg strength and overshoot.  Luckily there is a nice pile of hay at bottom.  However now I am inside a silo with no wood to stack up frames or build ladders.

Rather be patient, figure I try to fight it out, so I break the door.  One arrow into Mrs Zed, no crit (Thanks RNGeezus), but knock her down.  Mr big bad wolf gets a nogging hit, but scores a mortal wound.

D1... To be Continued

4 hours ago, Rotor said:

Which ,xml loot book table covers that? :)

Clearly in the hunting journals; items.xml (19753):

<item name="bookHuntingJournalWolves">
    <property name="Extends" value="bookHuntingJournalBears"/>
    <property name="DescriptionKey" value="perkHuntingJournalWolvesLongDesc"/>
    <property name="Unlocks" value="perkHuntingJournalWolves"/>
    <effect_group tiered="false">
        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="SetProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkHuntingJournalWolves" level="-1"/>
        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="GivePlayerNotification" progression_name="Don't mess with the dires!" level="1"/>
        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="GiveExp" exp="50"/>
        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="SetProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkHuntingJournalComplete" level="-1">
            <requirement name="PerksUnlocked" skill_name="skillHuntingJournal" operation="GTE" value="7"/></triggered_effect>
        <triggered_effect trigger="onSelfPrimaryActionEnd" action="PlaySound" sound="read_skillbook_final" play_in_head="true">
            <requirement name="PerksUnlocked" skill_name="skillHuntingJournal" operation="GTE" value="7"/></triggered_effect>
    </effect_group>
</item>

action="GivePlayerNotification" progression_name="Don't mess with the dires!" level="1"/>

Should I report a bug?  I didn't get the warning :).

Although could be a faulty decoder ring, Mount Doom wasnt quite hot when I made this one.

If you see a wolf and its eyes are glowing, it's a direwolf. they are nothing but death on four legs. Unfortunately they're very easily mistaken for a regular wolf which can be one shotted (head shot) with a primitive bow and an iron arrow. 

This does not hold for a direwolf in which case "oh gawd, feet don't fail me now"

D4

Started to build initial base at PoI former army camp with underground bunker.  I have been here before on another playthrough, so I know my way around and clear it pretty good.  Setup temp quarters at the watch tower as I didnt want Zs start messing with bunker prior to getting it ready. 

I wake from my slumber and set out all bright eyed and bushy tailed.  Take a quick look.  I have not seen any bad animals.  Had already killed a pig on the run to the trader.  So, not interesting in hunting.  Just need massive wood pile to get my spikes going.  Quick 360 again, nothing, come down lader...........BEAR!  Right under tower, (I swear it wasnt there on the way down), run around the barracks, take a couple of hits, but make it back to tower and up the ladder.  Start pumping arrows into bear, but he moves to center, so I decide to open a hole.  No problem, nice little square block.  There he is ripe for killing, a couple more arrows, and there was a banana peel somewhere because I fell on top of bear.

Figuring is over, I start pumping arrows into bear, but eventually slide off the sweaty beast.

You know the rest of the story.

D1 ... To Be Continued

Guns. BFG!   (ok, just a pipe machine gun. for the "oh frack!" moments)

...  (and save the ammo for'em for said "oh frack" moments)

:)

Direwolves are nasty, but can be taken out.

(mind you, leading a direwolf into the bottom of the poi I'm on top of to tangle with a fat momma that's flailing about inside... heh.

FM loses, and the wolf is now meat on the hoof)

yup did that early this playthrough (on top of the pass'n'gass by trader hugh. 10k pregen)

Something poetic about having the enemies fight it out and do half your work for you.

Yes landmines do smart!  (until you get the book where they don't, they mines are comedy gold.)

Day 21

Getting pretty good, horde night comes around.  Kill the first wave from atop my perch.  Then I cant find any more, but they are out there.  Come down and into the den...in a blind stupid moment I open door...rush hour.  First one down one club hit to nogging, 2 down...2 many.  Pipe MG, bang bang bang bang bang bang bang...click...click...click oh carp!.  Bandage, turn for escape stairs.  BRSoD.

D1...To Be Continued

Day 1

LOL...decided to try a quest, but forgot to use my 4 points.  It was after noon.  I took a "clear" quest.  Get to the PoI and get attacked, 1, 2, 3, and a fat boy.  Anyways, killed them still not figuring why it took so long, it is now o'dark :30 and the Zs in the PoI start coming, and I see their red eyes, and there werent enought bandages etc.

D1...DeJavu

Day 22

Fixing horde night damage.  Figure upgrade a couple shapes to cobbles tones.

Instant Red Screen Of Death.

Second time this has happened to me.  Just outta blue, like a disco death in a MMO.

I said screw it not my fault, not reason to go back to D1.....except XP penalty :/.

So....D1...To Be Continued.

D 3

So, after expending a day1 night on top of a crane.......because I took too long looking at the butterflies, I set out to find a suitable PoI base on D2.

I had already met the trader and a couple of blocks down was the big version of the electronic store.  Ended up being a 5 block trip as I had to avoid a wondering D1 Dire Wolf.  To top it off as soon as I crouch into the place fat boy cop jumps on my arse.  I put an arrow right through the nogging and that really @%$#ed him off.  He spit on me I ran around the corner but the acid hit was not bad.  A right handed super duper hit to the nogging again actually knocked him down and jump on top and put a couple taps on the nogging again to make him stay down for good.  After that I cleaned the main  floor and proceeded to spend the night in the manager's office.

Now, D3 I go into the stockroom and oddly enough there is bunch of paper boxes, clay pallets and odd and ends crates.  And lo and behold some nicely placed tall boxes atop highest tiers shelves.  I have seen this movie before :).  So popped arrows to reveal those zombies that were being shipped to the electronic stores to replace the dying squirrels in the power wheels after the apocalypse.  Cleared the long trap (it is a trap, highly stupid one at that, but that has already been discussed adnaseum <sp> in other threads).  Get to the stockroom office peek in, look to ceiling look for other box zombies.  Open a box and some worker had snuck up on me, dont know from where, but I took a couple of big hits, before I put him down.  Now I am down to teens, diseased, broken arm, bandaged bleed, a half-bodied crawler pops out of the ceiling, I managed to avoid the drop, and put two blank arrows into him.  Maybe I sneezed as I was firing and missed, take a swiping hit, down to 3%.  Hit him on the head and I thought he was dead.

Suddenly I noticed no XP....WTF!...that bloody turd had one swipe left in him.

D1...To Be Continued

I spend a part of D1 chopping tree stumps to get a jar of honey….just in case. My D1 poi of choice is the roof of one of the white motels. Ladders up the front then jump off ac ductwork to get on the roof and set up base there. During the day, loot the motel to get wrenches, aci, glass jars, clothes etc. Also has a nice vending machine & 2 safes. Very safe from zombies when on the roof. 

D 4

I am in the basement of the farmhouse which has the single concrete silo.  I had cleared the farm on D3 and worked my way to the basement.  Took some big hits from fat mama as she started to do the crawl/jump sequence since she could not figure out to come around the balisters and up the steps /sighs.  Anyways, clean up the basement from rest of family.  I had sound down too low and didnt hear the neighbors knocking through the upstairs walls that were past the basement entry doors.  I guess they didnt like me tearing down momma's basement.  I got overwhelmed after I made the tactical mistake to retreat into a corner :/.

Kinda ticked, cause I had killed 2 dires and a pig on day 2.  So had a good stash of meats and leathers.  Was about to steart gearing up for D7.

D1...To Be Continued

• 1 month later...

D56 BM

Threw a molotov, too close.  Z caught on fire, me too.  I thought I switch to med kit, but no, threw another.

Finally med kit, hmmm not much help, OH YEAH! Water, drink some water.

Crispy.

D1...To Be Continued

• 2 weeks later...

D3..

Was running around after some looting and was about to head out get some feathers.  Figure I cut across the corn field due to afternoon already started.  And there in the middle of the field I step on moving soil that hit me. 

WHAT?

Look down, it was burrowing pig.  He sprained my leg, I start clubbing...

Pig 1 Me 0

D1...To Be Continued

• 1 month later...

D22

Direwolf 1 Player 0.

I should know better, but I thought my Q4 bow and skillset would prevail...nay wolfie said.  And then I backed myself into a corner.....I have not had a compound bow yet, but I am really good at compound errors.

2 hours ago, Rotor said:

D3

Damn Pig!

How did he sneak up on me like that?  ARGH!

D1...To Be Continued.

I wanted to give it some corn. Really. I had plenty of meat. But nooooo. He attacked me anyway. Damn abrasions. Put some aloe on it and cut them half but they don't go away. Why couldn't it give me a concussion? I can cure that

• 3 weeks later...

D54, or so I thought.

I had stepped out for dinner in RL.  Come back and I am at the spawn screen.  I am like WTF?  The game was paused.  So I spawn on the bed, my backpack is right next to me, hhhmmm.  Since I am in my lair, not my horde base, I am puzzled how they got in.  I am in the church PoI, the one with the stone fence.  I go up stairs, and my entry door is gone, same with fence door. 

Suddenly it dawned upon me, and as I gazed at the day counter.....D57.  ARGH!

I DID NOT PAUSE THE GAME!

I am not going to look in the mirror as I may have donkey ears growing.

D1...To Be Continued.