[A21] - The Winchester - mini overhaul mod - Updated for A21.2 b30

w00kien00kie

winchester_flag_2.jpg.3401d244ac36fe3868160bba9847f7d5.jpg

The Winchester

The Winchester is a mini overhaul mod that is aimed to extend the vanilla game rather than totally change everything. Expect more zombies (A LOT more...), items that degrade and new game/video options that allow the user to choose how they would like to play the mod.

New things will be added over time but the aim is to keep the game as a Zombie Survival game so please don't expect lots of magical creatures in it! Most of my changes are around making the game harder and more challenging but giving the players a better UI experience and quality of life. Options are a key to the mod and I aim to let you guys choose how you want to play the game as much as possible. 

Warning : At times the volume of zombies can get high (that's the aim of the mod) so you may need to reduce video settings to cope. I've seen up to 100 zombies loaded in my game with a FPS of around 30.

All the modules are open source and feel free to re-use them. Credits are nice but not needed :)

UPDATES FOR A21.2 

• New Game Options
    • Sleeper Infested Mode - This multiplies the number of sleepers that spawn in POIs (like quest Infested mode)
    • Tools,Weapons,Mods in Loot? - Enables/Disables whether you find Tools Weapons and Mods in Loot Containers.
    • Tools,Weapons,Mods in Trader Inventory? - Enables/Disables whether you can see Tools Weapons and Mods in Trader Inventory.
    • Tools,Weapons,Mods in Trader Quests? - Enables/Disables whether you recieve Tools Weapons and Mods in Trader Quests.
    • Feral Sense Range Daytime - Sets the range for Feral Sense during the daytime. The default range is 30 and vanilla feral sense is 75. The higher the number the further the zombies can sense you.
    • Feral Sense Range Night - Sets the range for Feral Sense during the night. The default range is 30 and vanilla feral sense is 75. The higher the number the further the zombies can sense you.
  • New Video Options
    • Show/Hide Zombie Health Bar Name
    • Show/Hide Zombie Health Bar Numbers
    • Set Zombie Health Bar Colour
  •  New Stashback features
    • New AutoDump button
      • Auto dump all matching items in your backpack into player made storage containers within the land claim area.
    • Lock slots in Vehicles
    • Lock slots in player made containers
  • New Loot Respawn Day Indicator
    • Small modlet that shows what day and time a container will respawn.
  • New Whisky
    • New drinkable item called whisky. It has the same affect as beer but the buff lasts for 6 minutes!
  • New Increase Dew Collector Stack Size
    • Dew collector now has room for 20 bottles of water up from 3
  • New Increase Ammo Stack Size
    • Ammo stack sizes are 3x vanilla sizes
  • New Action Skill Indicator
    • New UI element that shows the current XP and level of the Action Skill of the currently help item. i.e. if your holding a Club it will show the Action Skill lvl and current XP for Blunt Weapons.
  • Update to Trader Quest Map
    • Now shows a preview image of the selected quest POI so you can easily recognise which POI a quest is at

Overview

• Action skills
    • Action skills have been added for all weapons and tools. The more you use the items the better you become at using, crafting and repairing them. 
    • Skills for each item type go from 1 - 100. 
    • The higher your AS the better quality items you can make (up to a maximum quality of 901)
    • The higher your AS the less quality that is lost when an item is repaired (Quality lose starts at 100 and goes down to 20 lose at maximum skill level)
  • Vanilla Skill Books
    • The vanilla skill books have been changed so that they only unlock what you can craft whilst Action Skills dictate what level quality you can craft the items. You get the best of both worlds
  • Item Quality 1 - 1000
    • All tools and weapons now go up to a maximum quality of 1000 (max craft level is 901)
    • There are now 10 levels of quality instead of the standard 6
    • Quality of crafted items is tied to the relevant AS, the higher the AS the higher quality you can craft
    • Item quality degrades each time you repair them, starting with a lose of 100 quality per repair. This lose goes down as your relevant AS increases down to a minimum lose of 10 per repair (tools and weapons cannot last forever!).
  • Trader Quest Map
    • When visiting a trader to get a quest the quests are now shown on a map! All Tiered quests are shown along with the ability toggle the visibility of each Tier on the map!
  • Biome Zombie Spawning (i.e. Zombies that spawn outside POIs)
    • Zombies now have a chance to respawn quicker (sometimes much quicker!). See Game Option below
    • Cities and towns are much more dangerous now and the more POIs around the more Zombies that will spawn. See Game Option below
  • Game Options (These settings are set at the game level and hence are set for all players)
    • Max Zombies - This is the maximum number of zombies that can spawn at any given time
    • City Zombie Multiplier - Sets how many zombies spawn in cities and towns. This is a multiplier so the higher the number the more zombies that may spawn.
    • Zombie Respawn Rate - This setting sets how often biome zombies respawn. 
    • Enable/Disable Head Shot Only mode
    • Enable/Disable Zombie Rage
    • Wandering Horde Frequency - Sets a range of how often wandering hordes spawn. i.e. 2 - 14 hours means a wandering horde will spawn much quick than normal
    • Wandering Horde Multiplier - Sets how many zombies spawn in wandering hordes. This is a multiplier so the higher the number the more zombies that will spawn.
    • Heat Map Level - Set the threshold at which screamers spawn
    • Trader Sell Price Multiplier - Traders are way to easy mode. This settings changes how much Traders charge you for their wares (this includes vending machines!)
    • Trader Quests Per Tier - Set how many quests needed to be completed per tier
    • Items Degrade On Repair - By default Items degrade as they are repaired. This settings disables this and allows all items to be repaired without losing quality
  • Video Options (These settings are set on a per player basis and each player can change their own values)
    • Show/Hide Crosshair
    • Show/Hide Activation Text
    • Show/Hide On Screen Sprites
    • Show/Hide Zombie Health Bar
    • Show/Hide XP Pop Up
    • Set Crosshair Color
  • Bigger backpack with custom stash logic
    • When moving items from your backpack to containers there are now 2 new buttons
    • Stash matching - This will automatically move items from your backpack to the open container if it matches an item already in the container.
    • Stash all - This will automatically move all items from your backpack into the open container.
    • X locked - This feature allows users to 'lock' some cells in your backpack so they will never automatically move items in these cells. To lock a cell hover over the cell and press the X button, the cell border will go green indicating it is now locked. To unlock a locked cell just hover and press X again.
  • 12 slot Toolbelt added
  • Standard vanilla Game Options are now saved between new games. Great for permadeath players who had to constantly reselect all their Game Options during each new Game creation.
  • Airdrops are now dangerous but don't wander too far from them if you want to get the loot!
  • Tier 5+ quest rewards have a chance to now include a new book that grants the user 1 skill point
  • Slower XP gain. XP is gained at a slightly slower rate, you'll get plenty of XP from killing all the zombies you encounter
  • Vehicles now trigger pressure plates. You no longer need to get off you bike or car to activate any pressure plates.
  • Vehicles disabled during bloodmoon. Mysteriously all vehicles (except for your trusty bicycle) no longer work during bloodmoons
  • Workstation smelting timers show total times and not increments
  • New Avoid Bloodmoon Injection allows players to temporarily avoid bloodmoons. Easy to craft and use the injection gives players a 20min buff that masks them from bloodmoons.
  • Vehicles now have cruise control. Pressing Q will put them into cruise control and move forward without having to keep the W key pressed
  • The next Bloodmoon day is shown on the compass next to the normal Day and Time (no more needing fingers and toes to work out when the next bloodmoon is!)
  • Lootbags now last longer and shouldnt decay half way through a bloodmoon!

DOWNLOAD 

https://github.com/w00kie-n00kie/TheWinchester/releases/download/21.2.30.4/WMM-21.2.30.4.zip

Version

I've tested latest version of the Winchester with the latest stable version of vanilla (A21.2b30) in SP.

It should all be fine in MP and Dedicated but will confirm soon. 

Dedicated Server

To change the GameOptions settings on a dedicated server you will need to copy a new XML file , change the settings and upload to your server. 
The WMMGameOptions.xml can be downloaded here : https://github.com/w00kie-n00kie/TheWinchester/blob/main/WMMGameOptions.xml

Just copy the file into the following folder /Mods/WMMGameOptions/SaveData/ 

Credits

Thanks to JaxTeller718 for the base template for the Action Skills.

Edited by w00kien00kie (see edit history)

New Trader Quest Map 

image.thumb.png.0513f5abd92fcdf9a241b402f38c99af.png

Expect LOTS of zombies !
image.thumb.png.1c2233d4d80777be254fdf04bfb250ea.png

image.thumb.png.596193d9db3137d879763b2480f8e91a.png

New Game Options 

image.png.346c209a53a2d40632ad1c33e56f8826.png

image.png.36c4efbe7bdd8d94c170028d4b5765b6.png

New Video Options (can be edited in game)
VideoOptions1.thumb.png.a02b718bb1b16621fed9944dbd6b0b71.png

VideoOptions2.thumb.png.9e9c79de927a3d2f3fc3c735f507e5af.png

bofF-gfTSkmIovFj2kV9Bw.png.40c0cec934a6b6f49e0af49250c093da.png

BZb23tCOTCaWgXAAKuY4Gg.png.1a78d6ed24e70e36bbd9b00cedf6dd65.png

gQjw67HPREOD0hwNVq2E1g.png.df42be4e1c1b113879b5e5dae8f12a41.png

h--JSdQyTcC_ni8LWnkvAg.png.9610fb6cb164c2c1ff56fd283f2778a6.png

Items levels and quality increased and items do degrade with use!
image.png.3a899717bb5746d39506d14523e8e8a1.png

Item quality after repair can be seen on the item description tab
image.png.e72b8576fec143d04ee08441147ff2cb.png

Next Bloodmoon (BM) shows next to time/day 
image.png.a225125e351a06117da88fe61fadbd66.png

Whisky

image.png.0d1f0bce4cc29eaff7698cb73795574b.png

The following modules can be installed as single standalone modules if you would like to use them separately or in your own modlet collection. 

All modlets can be downloaded here https://www.nexusmods.com/users/95019893?tab=user+files

List of standalone

• Stash Backpack
  • Stamina Dehydration Fix
  • Persist Game Options
  • Whisky
  • 12 Slot Toolbelt
  • Extra Game Options
  • Reduce Spawn Distance Of Wandering Spawns
  • Loot Respawn Day Indicator
  • Increase Dew Collector Container Size
  • Increase Ammo Stack Size
  • Airdrop Spawn Zeds
  • Workstation Material Timer
  • Video Options
  • Vehicles Trigger Pressure Plates
  • Slow Level Gain
  • Skill Point Reward
  • Show Next Bloodmoon Day On Compass
  • Remove Trader XP
  • Reduce Meat From Animals
  • Increase Loot Bag Decay
  • Avoid Bloodmoon Injection
  • Trader Quest Map
  • Vehicle Cruise Control

Seems a pretty cool mod, will have to try it :D

I have a question about "Bigger backpack with custom stash logic" though.  Are all those buttons not standard in vanilla anyway? I mean you just single then double click to stack to container (once to fill up stacks, the next to stack again).  Obviously the locking is new (and seems to work like Undead Legacy?) but the simple version is in most mods anyway.

I am LOVING the quality to 1000 though, with degradation!!  Can't wait to try that.

The custom stash logic that I wrote has been around for a while now and actually pre-dates the vanilla buttons (and possibly other mods). I will look into tweaking it to match vanilla a bit more so users can easily understand it but its the X locked that makes a big difference imho.

Hope you enjoy what's there so far, i've got a long list of new modules and ideas that ill be adding over time.

Sounds good :)  The X lock sounds good, I love that aspect of Undead Legacy, can lock any item in any position!  Can't wait to see how it looks in a vanilla style.

I was just looking into installing on my test dedicated server, any way to set the "Game Options" within the XML?  I don't like to run SP.

All compiled DLLs, no messing with mod configs by peons like me huh ;) 

Any known issues running with non vanilla vehicle and weapon mods etc? (bdub/tactical weapons for example)

5 minutes ago, Chunkimunki said:

Oh man this looks great. At the risk of a slap to the face I'm super jazzed about the Xlock.....

any chance we could have that as a *cough* standalone modlet?

No no your right - It's all or nothing - I understand - soz for asking.

Seems to be a seperate mod as far as my limited mind can tell, not that i have installed it yet, waiting for MP instructions :D

Hi W00kien00kie

Thank you for sharing this great mini overhaul, I was waiting for a long time for the item quality mod and new options, now with your great mod some features of Ravenhearts and DarknessFalls, they will come true and my game world will be super cool.
Another thing that caught my attention was the auto staking of items and the options of almost instant respawn of the zombies, it is a great addition to vanilla, everything you have shared should be by default.

Question 1: You can install only what you need or are they dependent on the Core that comes (I have an idea of which ones are dependent, but I prefer to ask).

Question 2: Do you plan to create and share a mod where crops require water to grow or not.

Thanks again for your mod.
Regards

Thanks, 

Answer 1: There are some mods that can be used independently, im planning on writing a list of which ones can be taken out and re-used.

Answer 2: At this time Im not planning to alter farming. Whilst I agree crops should need water I dont think its something I want to over complicate in this mod.

2 hours ago, w00kien00kie said:

Thanks, 

Answer 1: There are some mods that can be used independently, im planning on writing a list of which ones can be taken out and re-used.

Answer 2: At this time Im not planning to alter farming. Whilst I agree crops should need water I dont think its something I want to over complicate in this mod.

Ok thanks, I'll be waiting for the list, but for now I'll check on my own.
The water mod for crops, I didn't say it so you could add it in The Winchester, you could do it independently in another post, like your other mods that you shared, but in case you do the mod or not, no problem It is understood that it is a lot of work to do, I myself do not understand much C#.
Regards

6 hours ago, w00kien00kie said:

Ive uploaded an example config file to github and added notes to the original post. Let me know if the notes arent clear or the config file doesnt work.

wmm_gameoptions.xml seems to make sense to me, thanks very much!

I am a little afraid to say but I do have an issue with the abundance of DLLs and how to know if there is any danger of malicious intent.  There are 39 .dll files which of course is a little unusual for a 7 Days Mod.

I am not implying that the mod author (really sorry if any offence caused) is doing anything untoward, just looking for my fellow forum goers to explain how I can check the DLLs or to inform me that there's nothing they can do to harm my systems.

Can't be too careful nowadays, having just read this article which also uses Harmony! https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/valve-bans-cities-skylines-modder-after-discovery-of-major-malware-risk-3159709

34 minutes ago, MikeyUK said:

wmm_gameoptions.xml seems to make sense to me, thanks very much!

I am a little afraid to say but I do have an issue with the abundance of DLLs and how to know if there is any danger of malicious intent.  There are 39 .dll files which of course is a little unusual for a 7 Days Mod.

I am not implying that the mod author (really sorry if any offence caused) is doing anything untoward, just looking for my fellow forum goers to explain how I can check the DLLs or to inform me that there's nothing they can do to harm my systems.

Can't be too careful nowadays, having just read this article which also uses Harmony! https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/valve-bans-cities-skylines-modder-after-discovery-of-major-malware-risk-3159709

Wookie has been around long enough that you don't have to worry.

A lot of mods would have all the code in fewer dlls because they are a singular mod. This is more of a large modpack with the way the mods are put together. This makes it easier to add/remove what you want or don't want. But means each mod's changes are in separate dll files.

7 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

A lot of mods would have all the code in fewer dlls because they are a singular mod. This is more of a large modpack with the way the mods are put together. This makes it easier to add/remove what you want or don't want. But means each mod's changes are in separate dll files.

Thank you, I am a bit new so don't know who has been around and who has not :)  Just saw that news article today and was like, oh dear!

1 hour ago, bdubyah said:

or wookie could put the c# source code up on github as well and we could all learn from his prowess...

1 hour ago, MikeyUK said:

Thank you, I am a bit new so don't know who has been around and who has not :)  Just saw that news article today and was like, oh dear!

Totally understand your concern and tbh I'm surprised in a good way that there hasn't been many (if any) dodgy mods here. 

Thanks for backup bdubyah and explanation for so many DLLs 

2 minutes ago, ktrain said:

or wookie could put the c# source code up on github as well and we could all learn from his prowess...

Happy to share, will sort that later 

17 hours ago, MikeyUK said:

I am LOVING the quality to 1000 though, with degradation!!  Can't wait to try that.

It is pretty cool. Most of this code originated from Ravenhearst. You should check that out too when you have the chance.

Hey, just been testing this out a little.  

It's pretty jarring the stash to box button icons not being the same as vanilla, I've never had an issue with the way vanilla does it (when I found out about double clicking lol).

Pressing X to lock is GREAT!

I was just doing some testing on the skills and I don't seem to be able to repair my stone axe.  I would have thought I should be able to.  In the playthrough I have literally just chopped down a dozen trees and crafted a few axes, I still can't repair any of them, even the low tier one.  Is this by design?  Do I need to get to a much higher level to repair the axe?  Images attached.

Cheers :)

A20.2_2022-02-12_17-21-51.jpg

A20.2_2022-02-12_17-22-03.jpg

• w00kien00kie changed the title to [A21] - The Winchester - mini overhaul mod - Updated for A21.2 b30