Fishing Traps

Vaxkiller

New to the game. At first I was surprised that the game had no fishing in it, but after playing for a while I understand why. There is not enough time in the day to sit around fishing! It would either be too lucrative (to easy to get meat) or a waste of time.

What about fishing traps? Something you could build and set in the water. Maybe different locations have a chance to eventually catch different fish. Perhaps it takes anywhere from an hour to multiple days to catch fish? Maybe you can chum the water, or bait the fish traps.

I order to prevent it from being exploited (just build 100 fish traps dump them all in the same location in the water) If a fish trap is placed to close to another fish trap, only 1 will work. Not sure what the distance would be. 50 untis? Or maybe only 1 can be built, or maybe the crafting materials are really hard to find?

Hunting traps the same way?

Thoughts?

-Vax

(Vaxkiller is in reference to Vax Machines, not vaccines)

1 hour ago, Vaxkiller said:

(Vaxkiller is in reference to Vax Machines, not vaccines)

Lies, you're just trying to lure me in. Fret not, I got my mask on.. ;)

Hmm, fishing might be nice even if it was mostly a waste of time. It's a waste of time with a purpose IRL. I might be a tad jaded, but I doubt vanilla is going to see it. I seem to remember some mod having added fishing in, but tbh, I might be mixing games. At least fish traps should be perfectly moddable though.

At one time someone added a Mod I saw on Nexus,  I think it was the Farm Life mod,  with incubators and little constructed ponds  (looked like salsa chip dip bowls) to raise salmon.  Not exactly fishing,  but you did get fish from it.   No work on that Mod though since Alpha 18, I believe.

In thinking about the topic though, I imagine it would be hard to implement into the "native features" of the game as it currently is.  water sources are randomly generated and although some are very nice to look at; the depth and size are also very random,   HD models of fish would have to be added,  plus animations of their movement, in water and potentially movement when being caught (fish wiggling on a line)

I think this idea,  might be in the "Wish upon a Star" version of 7D2D,  wherein all our immersive dreams come true.   I think that version is due out in Alpha 28 *chuckle*

5 hours ago, Vaxkiller said:

Perhaps it takes anywhere from an hour to multiple days to catch fish?

Same rate as the fully illuminated growth rate of crops would work. Have the harvest return 2-3 fish. Add in a couple of recipes. One to craft 1 fish into 3 meat and another to craft 2 fish, some nitrate and a can into 1 can of salmon. Also have the traps have a limited use. Maybe 2-3 harvests and the fish trap breaks. 

5 hours ago, Vaxkiller said:

If a fish trap is placed to close to another fish trap, only 1 will work. Not sure what the distance would be. 50 untis?

Since they'd probably adhere to the normal block placement rules a distance limitation of 20 blocks would work. Might also need a check to ensure that the trap isn't just set in a wet hole in the ground. Having it look for a linear set of 3 or more water "blocks" in at least 2 horizontal directions and 1 block of water above it would work. Enough water to fill 13 blocks worth of space is a royal pain to gather so that would put a damper on making auto fishing "tanks" in bases.

6 hours ago, Vaxkiller said:

maybe the crafting materials are really hard to find?

🤨 Hard to find? Wood for the trap's structure and plant fiber or leather or plastic to bind the structure together. Those are all you really need to make a fish trap of the live catch passive variety. Heck, rocks placed properly in a water flow also works so hard to find materials doesn't make sense. Limited return does.