Radiation Zones, should they be viewable on the map?

PoppaSmirk

In past versions of 7D2D, I would "see"  a radiation zone on the main map by the color notice,  green area was radiated.   I didn't run into much radiation in My RGW's in A19, so possibly I didn't take notice,  but now in My A20 RGW,  I have now, literally,  run into 3 different Rad zones,  one in NW area of My map,  another yesterday in the SE area,  and then after driving just Northward on the eastern sector about 2 km north from the previous Rad Zone,  I drove right into another Rad Zone.   None of the three areas display any differently on My main map.   I did place markers on My Main Map,  "Rad Zone-Keep out" in those 3 spots,  but I wondered if the map colors no longer display the areas that are irradiated,  once a player encounters them?

And I have never used the Rad Suit,  but I have heard that wearing the Full Suit is still only a partial protection in an irradiated area,  is that true?

36 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

I don't think the Rad Suit protects you at all from the radiation as the radiation is just a way to have a world border without using invisible walls.  

This is confusing to me then,  if just being used as an invisible Wall.  then that leaves the question of why-how I was able to still go further West then more North,  through the desert biome in that sector,  and go further North than the spot I ran into radiation in the woodland zone.

Looking at my couple random preview images, the rad-border isn't exactly straight, but I'd think it's within a few meters. By how much are we talking about here; preferably in meters/coordinates?

Then again, the A19 version of the debuff was a timer of some seconds, so getting a border by looking at when it stops isn't going to give a good result either; haven't run into one in A20 yet thou, so could've been changed.

On 1/22/2022 at 5:26 AM, theFlu said:

As far as I know, vanilla really shouldn't do that. It's just a border on the edges of the map, a small sliver to stop you wandering off the edge of the world.

I still have some further exploring to do,  before I can say it with certainty;  but the 3 Radiation areas that I have encountered,  and not near the edge of the map,  in one situation   (the Rad Zone in the SE portion of the map,  I can see lots of woodland area and hills in the distance)   I was in full pedal to the metal mode on My motorcycle heading toward those mountains, when the screen went green and I started coughing up blood.  I was on a personal quest at that time to locate some Wasteland biome,  so I was trying to cover ground fast.  I'll head back that way after My next Horde Night and "drive around the general area" where I left My marker saying "RAD ZONE-KEEP OUT" and see if I can definitively say the rad zone extends all the way down to the bottom of the map from that SE point.   The other two spots that I ran into Radiation don't seem nearly at the edge of the map either.  If so,  then roughly 15% of this RGW Map is unusable.   I'll say more after I can speak with confidence on the situation.

Ok, that map was botched in some other ways and we're actually not with the server host anymore. Anyway, the map renderer I use shows radiation as a pretty thin square border. I am pretty certain that we've passed through a large radiation zone and we weren't close to the edge. At this point I don't know if sometimes the map might have a problem or that rad zones will be more common in A20. I haven't been able to see them at all including using the Radiation overlay on the map in debug mode. We seem to be finding a lot more radiation gear early on...

On 1/22/2022 at 6:48 AM, Apocalipservice said:

I just uploaded a saved game to a  new server and there is radiation on a lot of the map: pine, desert, and snow. Is this right, lol? I've rarely run into radiation in A19 but this might screw up an otherwise great map: it's covering a lot of towns. =| 

Are you uploading an old save to A20? Because that will obviously give problems.  In general the radiated zone is just a world border as it is.

Currently the radiation suit is useless, unless you play a mod like RH or DF, where those areas are populated and you have radiation, more difficult missions etc. Everything that the basic game does not have today. There if the suit is essential under penalty of dying in a few seconds.

Just as FYI,  after I went back in to play again,  I checked the map.   obviously some is still greyed out as I didn't  "ride along the border of the RAD zone",  but this last ride I did  swerve every few hundred metres,  (timed it at approx 40 seconds of drive time between each swerve) into where the "border might be if it existed"  and I did hit Rads,  so even though the grey area of the map overlay seems to extend much further,  I have apparently hit the border of the East and North sides of the map.

Which still leaves Me REALLY wondering now,   Where the flip is the Wasteland biome on My map.

1 hour ago, PoppaSmirk said:

Which still leaves Me REALLY wondering now,   Where the flip is the Wasteland biome on My map.

If you want some thumbnail-sized help, go into the /GeneratedWorlds/(world name), there's a biomes.png image there. The thumb will spoil the biomes only, buut, it is spoiling anyway.

On 1/25/2022 at 4:39 AM, DatDamnDutchie said:

Are you uploading an old save to A20? Because that will obviously give problems.  In general the radiated zone is just a world border as it is.

Yeah that would have been easy wouldn't it? Lol It was generated specifically to go up on an A20 server- but kinda might have been a version issue though: the *server's* config file wasn't "complete." I had to insert the feral setting but I don't know what else would have been missing. We still had another server but I didn't feel like comparing it line by line... The rep that I was talking to didn't seem to understand that, or the difference between stable and exp so we moved on to the next provider. It was also a 10k map - so I'm wondering if that was an issue as well. We were *supposed* to able to load one that size but maybe there was an issue there too..  I should still have the save files but I dunno if I want to bring up that awful world again to test: hoping it was an anomaly. 

[Aw I love making maps and then previewing them to see if there's a good city/biome balance, if the map actually filled in w/ towns (we tweaked the rwgmixer max values - slightly.) etc to make sure that it will a fun map that will last us for awhile. I rlly looked fwd to the map so it was bummer that it was ruined but the current 8k is pretty cool.]