A20 RGW Feedback - Farm POI locations

iBane

First, the new RWG and POI management system is excellent; huge improvements have been made and this is by far the best version of RWG.

One opportunity for improvement I think is around farming POIs.  They spawn in towns and cities, although typically around the perimeters of the cities and towns.  Farms don't really have any business being connected to towns and cities.  Why not have farm POIs spawn in their own clusters in between towns/cities and/or spawn along the main roads and dirt roads that connect towns, cities, and the special stand-alone POI locations.  Use them to fill in some of the empty spaces and populate the roads.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, iBane said:

Farms don't really have any business being connected to towns and cities.

Maybe it would be better in 7D2D for farms to populate the wilderness areas, but let's not pretend there aren't farms scattered all around in heavily populated areas. This is a few miles from where I live. All of the green spaces (except one golf course) are farms. This pattern is repeated throughout the US plains and midwest.

image.png.264ff5ea91200068cbd196eb030a4ed5.png

Well, sure, you might say. It's like that in the corn belt, but not in Arizona! Here's part of the Phoenix area:

image.png.8cd024e2c7102677e5f8bb08659c3e3f.png

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

5 hours ago, iBane said:

First, the new RWG and POI management system is excellent; huge improvements have been made and this is by far the best version of RWG.

One opportunity for improvement I think is around farming POIs.  They spawn in towns and cities, although typically around the perimeters of the cities and towns.  Farms don't really have any business being connected to towns and cities.  Why not have farm POIs spawn in their own clusters in between towns/cities and/or spawn along the main roads and dirt roads that connect towns, cities, and the special stand-alone POI locations.  Use them to fill in some of the empty spaces and populate the roads.  Thanks.

As Boidster noted, you are completely wrong UNLESS you are talking about cities that are ancient(in which case I have no direct knowledge).   At least around here though, you have loads of farms, as the city grows, someone buys up the land on which a farm used to be and plants houses.  Next door was likely another farm, so YES, farm and semi dense single family dwellings would be side by side.  As the city grows more, the next farm is bought up(where do you think the land for 200 houses complex comes from?) which typically leaves another farm across the road from that.   

Now, I live in the South Eastern part of the US, so I have ZERO idea how things might be in the Northern part of the country in and around the larger cities such as Detroit/Chicago/New York/LA but frankly, these maps don't come anywhere NEAR the size the US mega cities as in most places, 8 square km would be entire city and t here would be zero forest unless there was a park.

For that matter, the "farms" the size of those in the game would not event support the farmer, much less the needs of  the population of the "city" it is around.   

Realism wise, it fits. But I would like to see a little more variation. Every city/town being surrounded by so many farms gets old. There is a outskirt_district property in the mixer file for both town and city townships that is set to rural. I wanna try changing the city one to residential or something and see what it breaks. Lol.

A lot of farmland near or in heavily populated areas are there because they were there before those areas became heavily populated.  Most recently, though I've had MANY experiences like this, I lived on the outskirts of a city.  For simplicity, if my house were on the "border" then everything south of me was city and it was all farmland to the north.  The farmland outside my back door went up for sale at a very high price per acre (and no, you couldn't buy some of it, only all of it) in the hopes that it would attract a developer.  It did eventually but we moved before that happened, thankfully.  I can recount many stories like this from my past since I always preferred living in the country or as close to it as possible when that wasn't a real option for me.

Anyway, cities end up surrounding farmland all the time until the price of the land goes up so high that the farmers sell out because it makes no sense not to.

No point from me, really, just sharing something that is probably obvious to some of you.  Carry on.