Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 365 days are pruned and will no longer show here
hiemfire

hiemfire

On 1/12/2022 at 9:10 AM, Boidster said:

Broadly speaking, yes! "Random" numbers in programming are almost always pseudo-random, based on a seed value. If you know the seed value, you can determine the sequence of "random" numbers that will result. In nearly all applications where randomness is required, this is sufficient. If you:

1. Know the seed
  2. Know the exact algorithm used to produce 'random' numbers
  3. Know the probabilities for all potential loot items in all containers you want to search

Then you could deterministically work your way through a game looting exactly the right containers at exactly the right time to get the "best" loot for each search.

Reminds me of why my father had me tie the system time in as the "seed" when setting up a random number generator program for giggles using Basic. Without the floating starting point the resulting sequence was exactly the same every time the program was run.

hiemfire

hiemfire

On 1/12/2022 at 9:10 AM, Boidster said:

Broadly speaking, yes! "Random" numbers in programming are almost always pseudo-random, based on a seed value. If you know the seed value, you can determine the sequence of "random" numbers that will result. In nearly all applications where randomness is required, this is sufficient. If you:

1. Know the seed
  2. Know the exact algorithm used to produce 'random' numbers
  3. Know the probabilities for all potential loot items in all containers you want to search

Then you could deterministically work your way through a game looting exactly the right containers at exactly the right time to get the "best" loot for each search.

Reminds me of why my father had me tie the system time in as the "seed" when setting up a random number generator program for giggles using Basic. Without the floating starting point the resulting sequence was exactly the same.