Improved Hordes [A21.2]

FilUnderscore

4 hours ago, Kodos The Executioner said:

Myself and others have been enjoying using the Improved Hordes mod, but have been experiencing a problem where the mod doesn't trigger the scheduled hordes to spawn.  If no hordes are spawning as per the schedule, restarting the game and resetting the wandering horde schedule seems to get it back on track, except for the first entry in the schedule.  Even with resetting the schedule, the first horde in the list never spawns.  That's when I noticed, after resetting the schedule, it always says "Next Occurrence 2" below the schedule in the command console.  I even added the mod to a new Vanilla game on a different computer and on Day 1 it shows the next occurrence to be #2.  Can you fix this so that the first horde in the schedule is not always skipped?  Thanks!

Thanks for reporting this. I have received a few other reports about this but no information about it, will investigate. Have you changed any of the config settings related to the schedule, and do other occurrences sometimes not spawn as well?

On 3/13/2022 at 8:07 PM, FilUnderscore said:

Thanks for reporting this. I have received a few other reports about this but no information about it, will investigate. Have you changed any of the config settings related to the schedule, and do other occurrences sometimes not spawn as well?

On our modded streaming server, we have changed most of the settings from default to customize the Improved Hordes mod, including reducing the minimum hours between hordes to be 4, and the minimum and maximum number of hordes per week to be much higher to try to get 3 to 4 hordes per day.  On the Day 1 Vanilla game though, I added a fresh download of the mod and left all the settings at default, and the "Next Occurrence 2" problem, where it skips the first scheduled horde, was in that Vanilla game too.  It doesn't appear to skip other hordes in the schedule, except for the very rare occasion where it stops spawning them altogether, and we have to restart the game to fix it (that is probably a 7D2D problem; not your mod).  Hope that helps!

• FilUnderscore changed the title to Improved Hordes [A20.3]

IMPROVED HORDES 1.0.3 UPDATE RELEASED FOR ALPHA 20.3 B3.

Changelog:

• Updated for compatibility with Alpha 20.3 b3.

Added

• Option to disable custom scout hordes and use default vanilla scout hordes instead. This setting can be changed in the settings.xml file.

Fixed

• Bug where the first occurrence in the wandering horde schedule was being skipped due to an unchecked horde disbanding call.

On 3/20/2022 at 2:20 AM, Kodos The Executioner said:

On our modded streaming server, we have changed most of the settings from default to customize the Improved Hordes mod, including reducing the minimum hours between hordes to be 4, and the minimum and maximum number of hordes per week to be much higher to try to get 3 to 4 hordes per day.  On the Day 1 Vanilla game though, I added a fresh download of the mod and left all the settings at default, and the "Next Occurrence 2" problem, where it skips the first scheduled horde, was in that Vanilla game too.  It doesn't appear to skip other hordes in the schedule, except for the very rare occasion where it stops spawning them altogether, and we have to restart the game to fix it (that is probably a 7D2D problem; not your mod).  Hope that helps!

I was able to narrow down the "Next Occurrence 2" problem being a result of the mod disbanding hordes whenever the schedule is generated, even when no hordes are present, skipping the first occurrence. This should now be fixed in the latest patch, 1.0.3. I am not sure about the second issue you are reporting regarding hordes not spawning. Is there a log file you can attach (if possible) that shows the mod attempting to spawn one of these hordes as it could have some information regarding this. Do the occurrences still happen but zombies don't spawn (i.e. the console prints out the horde spawn)?

16 hours ago, saio13 said:

I installed this mod (with EAC off) on day 4 and I am on day 16 and got no hordes.

Any idea what is going on??

Have you followed the instructions in the "readme.txt" file regarding installation, making sure the mod files are located in "Mods/ImprovedHordes" and not "Mods/ImprovedHordes/ImprovedHordes"? Also does the mod show up when you type in "version" in the in-game console? If not, that means it was not installed correctly.

Edited by FilUnderscore (see edit history)

6 hours ago, FilUnderscore said:

Changelog:

Added

• Option to disable custom scout hordes and use default vanilla scout hordes instead. This setting can be changed in the settings.xml file.

Fixed

• Bug where the first occurrence in the wandering horde schedule was being skipped due to an unchecked horde disbanding call.

I was able to narrow down the "Next Occurrence 2" problem being a result of the mod disbanding hordes whenever the schedule is generated, even when no hordes are present, skipping the first occurrence. This should now be fixed in the latest patch, 1.0.3. I am not sure about the second issue you are reporting regarding hordes not spawning. Is there a log file you can attach (if possible) that shows the mod attempting to spawn one of these hordes as it could have some information regarding this. Do the occurrences still happen but zombies don't spawn (i.e. the console prints out the horde spawn)?

Have you followed the instructions in the "readme.txt" file regarding installation, making sure the mod files are located in "Mods/ImprovedHordes" and not "Mods/ImprovedHordes/ImprovedHordes"? Also does the mod show up when you type in "version" in the in-game console? If not, that means it was not installed correctly.

I can’t check right now because I am not home, but I was able to type in the console the “help improvedhorde” command and the other one where you check the schedule and it would show me the info. 

10 hours ago, FilUnderscore said:

Changelog:

Added

Fixed

I just checked and everything seems fine. I deleted the mod and downloaded again and see what happens.

Thanks

On 3/21/2022 at 6:46 AM, FilUnderscore said:

That's great.  Thanks for fixing the issue with the first occurrence.
When the other issue would happen, where no wandering hordes would spawn at all, we would watch the console at the scheduled times and there would be no activity or record of attempt by the mod to try to spawn the scheduled horde.  We could still use the 'improvedhordes' commands to show the schedule.  Fixing this was as simple as reloading 7D2D, which gives me the impression it may have been a problem with the game and not your mod.  It has only occurred two or three times.

On 3/21/2022 at 3:46 AM, FilUnderscore said:

Changelog:

Added

Fixed

So I started a new game.  MOD is correctly installed. I type version and all the info come up. I also check the schedule and I can see when the horde should occur. It has skipped the first 3 occurrences already.

I also deleted the mod and re downloaded it and same issues. Any idea?

2 hours ago, saio13 said:

So I started a new game.  MOD is correctly installed. I type version and all the info come up. I also check the schedule and I can see when the horde should occur. It has skipped the first 3 occurrences already.

I also deleted the mod and re downloaded it and same issues. Any idea?

Alright, does the console print out something like "Occurrence X Spawning" at the times when the hordes should occur, or any other messages related to the mod? This could be linked to an issue with horde spawning that someone else has mentioned.

Also a log would be useful to diagnose this, if you could provide it along with a print out of your horde schedule when this bug happens.

1 hour ago, FilUnderscore said:

Alright, does the console print out something like "Occurrence X Spawning" at the times when the hordes should occur, or any other messages related to the mod? This could be linked to an issue with horde spawning that someone else has mentioned.

Also a log would be useful to diagnose this, if you could provide it along with a print out of your horde schedule when this bug happens.

Here is a photo from console when the horde was supposed to happen

https://ibb.co/cczxwTj

Also I used the command to manually spawn a horde and noticed that it did spawn one further away from my base and they kept going away until I started shooting at them.

Here is the schedule

https://ibb.co/f8CDgYj

It says next supposed o be 7. It should be 5 but I guess it counted the ones I did manually

9 hours ago, saio13 said:

Here is a photo from console when the horde was supposed to happen

https://ibb.co/cczxwTj

Also I used the command to manually spawn a horde and noticed that it did spawn one further away from my base and they kept going away until I started shooting at them.

Here is the schedule

https://ibb.co/f8CDgYj

It says next supposed o be 7. It should be 5 but I guess it counted the ones I did manually

Seems like you've just gotten mostly non-feral wandering hordes which do spawn and wander away in a distance. The feral wandering hordes are the ones that come closer to your position, but are by default a 50% chance. You can change this in the settings.xml file to get them more often. I am looking into changing some things in a future update.

8 minutes ago, FilUnderscore said:

Seems like you've just gotten mostly non-feral wandering hordes which do spawn and wander away in a distance. The feral wandering hordes are the ones that come closer to your position, but are by default a 50% chance. You can change this in the settings.xml file to get them more often. I am looking into changing some things in a future update.

Thanks. I just changed it to 100% chance. 

5 hours ago, Petko said:

Has someone also the problem that the zomibes spawn on player blocks? We have a big Base an now sometimes a horde spawns inside the walls. 

There is a bug being fixed in the next release where zombies often spawn closer to the group than intended.

On 3/26/2022 at 7:51 PM, FilUnderscore said:

There is a bug being fixed in the next release where zombies often spawn closer to the group than intended.

Just FYI I changed the chance of feral hordes to 100% and I am on day 6 and still no horde to my base or around me

4 hours ago, saio13 said:

Just FYI I changed the chance of feral hordes to 100% and I am on day 6 and still no horde to my base or around me

Just checking, have you run "improvedhordes wandering reset" after changing it, and does the schedule show that they are all feral hordes?

2 minutes ago, FilUnderscore said:

Just checking, have you run "improvedhordes wandering reset" after changing it, and does the schedule show that they are all feral hordes?

I have started a brand new save with feral 100%. The schedule says all feral. 

After I wrote the previous comment I got  (I think) a horde with 3 wolves on day 7

8 minutes ago, saio13 said:

I have started a brand new save with feral 100%. The schedule says all feral. 

After I wrote the previous comment I got  (I think) a horde with 3 wolves on day 7

Sounds about right, remember that the hordes scale with gamestage so when you start the hordes will be small but get bigger/tougher as you progress.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 8:03 PM, FilUnderscore said:

Sounds about right, remember that the hordes scale with gamestage so when you start the hordes will be small but get bigger/tougher as you progress.

Day 31. Game stage 117. I am only getting dog hordes every 3 to 4 days. I have the settings to 100% feral and the schedule shows me that there supposed to be 1 every day pretty much.

I am also using the no scout mod. Could that be the problem? Anyone else has that issue?

IMPROVED HORDES 1.1.0 RELEASED FOR ALPHA 20.3 B3.

Changelog:

Added

• Smarter heatmap that affects nearby chunks.
    • Simply being in a location for a long time will increase the heatmap by a small amount, normal heatmap activities will count more relative to roaming.
    • Affects the gamestage of any groups near these chunks, meaning more frequented areas will have harder hordes as zombies pinpoint the best places to catch survivors in.
    • Begins to decay after 1 day of no activity, takes 4 full days to decay. Revisiting the area will restart the timer and continue increasing the heat in the area. This can be adjusted in the settings.xml file under the heat_tracker section.
  • Patrol hordes
    • Begin to roam frequently visited areas on a determined frequency depending on the amount of heat generated in an area and the biome difficulty. Avoiding detection lowers the heat in the area.

Changed

• Improved Horde AI allowing horde zombies to sense players based on sight and sound.
  • Horde spawns for solo groups can now be in any direction.
  • Horde endpoints can now be 45-315° from their spawnpoint.
  • Gamestage difficulty now takes into account the biome you are in, adjusting for easier/tougher hordes, especially in the wasteland.
  • Feral scouts no longer summon a horde on death, but can fit in more screams than it's non-feral variant.
  • Feral scout spawn chance is no longer dependent on gamestage, but instead now depends on the heat in an area.
  • Scouts contribute more heat to an area leading to harder hordes as they continue to scream.
  • Horde balancing changes.

Fixed

• Horde spawning within a player group instead of outside.
  • Wandering horde group occurrences for players not saving, leading to more spawns of certain horde groups than intended (ignoring the maxWeeklyOccurrences hordegroup value).
  • AI Horde not being removed from tracking after state change.

On 4/12/2022 at 3:30 PM, saio13 said:

Day 31. Game stage 117. I am only getting dog hordes every 3 to 4 days. I have the settings to 100% feral and the schedule shows me that there supposed to be 1 every day pretty much.

I am also using the no scout mod. Could that be the problem? Anyone else has that issue?

Are you running any mods that add/change biomes in anyway? Try using the latest version and see if it's still happening.

13 hours ago, Rizzano said:

I use a zombie looting mod server side that allows looting of vanilla zombies. Do you know if this would conflict? It wouldn't work with darkness falls and undead legacy.

This mod doesn't add any zombies, just spawns in zombies (from the entityclasses.xml & entitygroups.xml configs), so it should work with it fine.

5 hours ago, FilUnderscore said:

Changelog:

Added

• Simply being in a location for a long time will increase the heatmap by a small amount, normal heatmap activities will count more relative to roaming.
    • Affects the gamestage of any groups near these chunks, meaning more frequented areas will have harder hordes as zombies pinpoint the best places to catch survivors in.
    • Begins to decay after 1 day of no activity, takes 4 full days to decay. Revisiting the area will restart the timer and continue increasing the heat in the area. This can be adjusted in the settings.xml file under the heat_tracker section.
  • Patrol hordes
    • Begin to roam frequently visited areas on a determined frequency depending on the amount of heat generated in an area and the biome difficulty. Avoiding detection lowers the heat in the area.

Changed

• Improved Horde AI allowing horde zombies to sense players based on sight and sound.
  • Gamestage difficulty now takes into account the biome you are in, adjusting for easier/tougher hordes, especially in the wasteland.
  • Feral scouts no longer summon a horde on death, but can fit in more screams than it's non-feral variant.
  • Feral scout spawn chance is no longer dependent on gamestage, but instead now depends on the heat in an area.
  • Scouts contribute more heat to an area leading to harder hordes as they continue to scream.

Fixed

• Wandering horde group occurrences for players not saving, leading to more spawns of certain horde groups than intended (ignoring the maxWeeklyOccurrences hordegroup value).
5 hours ago, FilUnderscore said:

Changelog:

Added

• Patrol hordes

Changed

Fixed

Are you running any mods that add/change biomes in anyway? Try using the latest version and see if it's still happening.

This mod doesn't add any zombies, just spawns in zombies (from the entityclasses.xml & entitygroups.xml configs), so it should work with it fine.

No I am not running any biome mods, I removed the no screamer zombies mod and added the reduced screamer mod.

Now I am getting zombie hordes with screamer but I didn't check to see if it was part of the scheduled horde or it spawned because I was using too many forges and cement mixers.

Will take a look next time it happens.

This mod is unusable. My friend and I are around level 50 and we get endless hordes with it with most of them being green. Not only that they just kept summoning more and more.  The lag got bad with so many zombies I would say there was at least 30 to 50 zombies and counting. The mod needs some balance and tweaks. We love a challenge but this is beyond manageable.

1 hour ago, Greymantle said:

This mod is unusable. My friend and I are around level 50 and we get endless hordes with it with most of them being green. Not only that they just kept summoning more and more.  The lag got bad with so many zombies I would say there was at least 30 to 50 zombies and counting. The mod needs some balance and tweaks. We love a challenge but this is beyond manageable.

Yes as stated in the OP, balancing is still a WIP (especially with a new horde type recently added in) and feedback is always welcome. You can lower the number of zombies spawned per player in the settings.xml file, or manually tweak the values yourself in the hordes.xml file in the meantime. Was this a scout horde that kept summoning zombies? Gamestage and Biome are also important factors as the Wasteland increases horde difficulty by +40 GS where as the Forest is +0.