Deverezieaux's POIs now as a modlet!

Deverezieaux

I appreciate the ego boosts as always @stallionsden! I'm looking at doing a cidery, 60x60.

While I was looking through tiles I got inspired to do a full tile of my duplex houses as a residential straight tile. Measuring I'd need 14 unique variations of the duplex to do one tile (like a regular residential block) of houses like this:

393284593_ResidentialBlock.thumb.jpg.a66e0b94d396603333a7cbb0236ad95f.jpg

I suppose I could have a couple of duplicates.

7 minutes ago, Deverezieaux said:

I appreciate the ego boosts as always @stallionsden! I'm looking at doing a cidery, 60x60.

While I was looking through tiles I got inspired to do a full tile of my duplex houses as a residential straight tile. Measuring I'd need 14 unique variations of the duplex to do one tile (like a regular residential block) of houses like this:

393284593_ResidentialBlock.thumb.jpg.a66e0b94d396603333a7cbb0236ad95f.jpg

I suppose I could have a couple of duplicates.

Yeh def be a great addition having a cidery. I love all pois and appreciate the time given by prefabbers to share their creations with the community I will be honest this is true lol. 

But def will await to see this cidery journey and your end product 🙂

Tho I think depending on how many poi markers you place you may need to up the 14 to 25 or 28.  

Edited by stallionsden (see edit history)

I've  already tested making a basic tile for the existing duplexes, and I should be able to do it with 14 total versions of the duplex, though I suppose I could mix it up by including additional markers to spawn them in different orders. Whatever the case I still need to build 11 more of them! I may do one more, then do the cider mill.

dupetile.thumb.jpg.02c538eac554dd4af348f8dcf92502c4.jpg

EDIT to the Edit: If anyone is interested, here's a "template" I use for the duplexes. It's basically an undamaged, minimally decorated version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_CUcZq-JAFffjc1lK-0CR6e_QpoGeEGZ/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Deverezieaux
Updated link for POI size. (see edit history)

The fourth duplex is done as is the tile for the "block" of duplexes. Keep in mind I need 10 more duplexes to make this a full block, which is going to take "a while." In the meantime I'm going to switch over to making the tier 3 cidery I talked about. That said you can use the incomplete tile & houses if you like! As new houses are added I'll update the tile file at the existing link to include it.

As with other tiles you'll need to add this block of code to the bottom of the RWG mixer XML fil for it to work:

<streettile name="rwg_tile_residential_straight_duplexes">
        <property name="maxtiles" value="1"/>
        <property name="mintiles" value="1"/>
        <property name="maxdensity" value="800"/>
        <property name="spawn_custom_size_prefabs" value="true"/>
    </streettile>

Here is the tile link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sRTjMNfPAYUyOhde6TdGHh8WMzb_aC3k/view?usp=sharing

And here is the latest duplex: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kmq6LwAcne1LuH5uNZ7fTcOP-PHgzhMz/view?usp=sharing

Here are some pics:

dupetile1.thumb.jpg.c9381c279375b8b80eaee170c75657b2.jpgdupyell_ext1.thumb.jpg.55d7d02450ce29175bd86f63a7fb2a7d.jpgdupyell_int1.thumb.jpg.4a19876eab4ee1fb432661aa70d08568.jpg

Here's the undamaged version of the cidery for those who want a copy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EolAfkan8uPvs6FNQ9WuYGDs4G6dTSEe/view?usp=sharing EDIT, just an FYI the link has been updated 4/19/2022. I added a water tower to help with the dungeon path I wanted.

I'll be dungeonizing and populating it over the next few days.

Edited by Deverezieaux
Updated file. (see edit history)

Hi gang, here's the rural cidery: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PHuCiMNZ5eAl-eNG0dhQxyY_1KaYa0GO/view?usp=sharing

I've tested both in editor and in maps and it seems good. Zombie counts may need some balancing. I've made the zombie counts higher because it's mostly large rooms to justify it being T3. That said I've tested it using stealth and run & gun styles and it seemed okay. Input welcome.

Finishing up the 5th duplex (9 to go) and wanted to run a test on the duplex neighborhood tile by populating it with the existing duplexes. This means there will be several duplicates, however after setting the POI spawns they didn't generate. I assume in the data files, possibly rwgmixer there is a value that limits duplicates in tiles so the cities, towns, etc. have more variety. I've started looking around, but if anyone knows offhand if there is such a value, and where it resides, please give me a heads up?

1 hour ago, Deverezieaux said:

Finishing up the 5th duplex (9 to go) and wanted to run a test on the duplex neighborhood tile by populating it with the existing duplexes. This means there will be several duplicates, however after setting the POI spawns they didn't generate. I assume in the data files, possibly rwgmixer there is a value that limits duplicates in tiles so the cities, towns, etc. have more variety. I've started looking around, but if anyone knows offhand if there is such a value, and where it resides, please give me a heads up?

Correct a poi the same can not spawn a certain distance from the same poi.

30 minutes ago, stallionsden said:

Correct a poi the same can not spawn a certain distance from the same poi.

Thanks much. I have a way to test my full tile without this, I'll just create a bunch of temporary POI files, I just wanted to check if there was an XML variable I could temporarily change that would get me the same end result.

On 4/20/2022 at 8:05 PM, Deverezieaux said:

Hi gang, here's the rural cidery: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PHuCiMNZ5eAl-eNG0dhQxyY_1KaYa0GO/view?usp=sharing

I've tested both in editor and in maps and it seems good. Zombie counts may need some balancing. I've made the zombie counts higher because it's mostly large rooms to justify it being T3. That said I've tested it using stealth and run & gun styles and it seemed okay. Input welcome.

Nice POI. :)

P.S. I have one question - when i manually place this POI on map and move it, final chest group dissapears. Does it mean that the only right way to place this POI is to place it once and for all (no moving)?

There are a few vanilla POI Parts used in this POI, and Parts may behave a little differently when placed in map as opposed to letting them generate with the map. Parts are still relatively new, so I'm not sure how moving once they're placed would be affected. I presume that when you place the POI the parts are given coordinates relative to the POI, and when you move it those part coordinates aren't changing with the POI and thus "disappearing." I'm unsure if there's a way to workaround this, but @stallionsden may know a workaround so I've mentioned him here.

The parts included are part_driveway_rural_02, part_roadside_fruit_stand_02, and I also used the part_loot_t3. I'm curious to know if all the parts disappear when you move it or just the loot pile?

Took some time to create two more duplex variants for my neighborhood, and also did some tests on spawning the entire tile block of duplexes. Looking good. Still have 8 more variants to build. That said, I don't want to work only on my duplex variants, it gets a little repetitive. Looking for ideas again!

dupblasted_ext1.thumb.jpg.c4487b6161ff05d31da7274930bf203a.jpgdupblock_1.thumb.jpg.860dc66ff0a91c6b73040f599ac516f5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2022 at 5:18 PM, Deverezieaux said:

There are a few vanilla POI Parts used in this POI, and Parts may behave a little differently when placed in map as opposed to letting them generate with the map. Parts are still relatively new, so I'm not sure how moving once they're placed would be affected. I presume that when you place the POI the parts are given coordinates relative to the POI, and when you move it those part coordinates aren't changing with the POI and thus "disappearing." I'm unsure if there's a way to workaround this, but @stallionsden may know a workaround so I've mentioned him here.

The parts included are part_driveway_rural_02, part_roadside_fruit_stand_02, and I also used the part_loot_t3. I'm curious to know if all the parts disappear when you move it or just the loot pile?

I've made some experiments for diagnostic purposes. The conclusion is parts in POI are not selected when you move POI. And out of POI they just disappear. More over they are not respowned when you start quest. 

So the only way to use POI with parts is rwg :(

34 minutes ago, v1712 said:

I've made some experiments for diagnostic purposes. The conclusion is parts in POI are not selected when you move POI. And out of POI they just disappear. More over they are not respowned when you start quest. 

So the only way to use POI with parts is rwg :(

Thanks for looking into this, it'll be helpful for others to know. If you playtest in the editor parts don't show up, so the proper way to test is in a generated map. I've never tried placing a POI with parts in a map and then moving it. I imagine that you could manually place the parts, but what a chore that would be.

Many of the custom prefabbers are also starting to use parts more frequently. They're very helpful for both speeding up prefabbing, and also allow you to "randomize" certain elements of POIs to make the experience of certain POIs unique every time. Even though it's technically the same POI, you could have different rooms, change parts of the dungeon path, or include interesting features like random loot. I haven't done a ton of it, but as time moves on and more parts are added they'll be incorporated more and more. Being unable to move them in-map is a disadvantage, but the benefits far outweigh that in my humble opinion. It's also entirely possible that in the future they will be selected when you move a POI.

Edited by Deverezieaux (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Deverezieaux said:

Being unable to move them in-map is a disadvantage

You can sort of move them. You would place more than one of them and give them the same Tag (I think that's the field). RWG will then only pick a maximum of one of them. If you're into probability math you can kind-of make sure at least one of them will be selected, but there will always be a chance that none of them is selected unless you make one of them 100%. I assume if it is the last on the list that it would get selected if none other did.

Still, it would be nice if RWG would guarantee it would pick at least one, it would be nice. I think I made a "Pimp Dream" along those lines.

14 hours ago, Deverezieaux said:

I've never tried placing a POI with parts in a map and then moving it. I imagine that you could manually place the parts, but what a chore that would be.

I don't like random generated maps - they look unnatural. Always play Navezgane. This map is not well populated so i place new POIs on it... 

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/2103

11 hours ago, v1712 said:

I don't like random generated maps - they look unnatural. Always play Navezgane.

Interesting, I always felt that Navezgane looked unnatural, primarily in the ways the cities and towns are laid out. They always felt too unbalanced, and frankly "square." In Diersville for example it was just the hospital and a bunch of houses. I get that random gen can feel weird too, particularly in earlier versions where the terrain could be all over the place.

A few alphas ago, maybe 16, they started to make improvements to random gen that made the cities/towns feel a lot more realistic, and have generally improved the terrain generation to eliminate weird quirks like vertical roads and random sinkholes. Alpha 20 is definitely the most realistic so far, though I understand how you could feel it's still off. It is fairly odd that a tile with farms might spawn next to a a downtown tile. That said I think it just keeps improving, and will be even more realistic with each iteration.

9 hours ago, Deverezieaux said:

Interesting, I always felt that Navezgane looked unnatural, primarily in the ways the cities and towns are laid out. They always felt too unbalanced, and frankly "square." In Diersville for example it was just the hospital and a bunch of houses. I get that random gen can feel weird too, particularly in earlier versions where the terrain could be all over the place.

That is the thing improved by placing POIs in Navezgane :) 

P.S. Never the less. It seems that starting the quest does not reset parts in POI.  And that is a problem for rwg too...

9 hours ago, v1712 said:

It seems that starting the quest does not reset parts in POI.  And that is a problem for rwg too.

I have not had that issue, and that sounds like a bug to me. You may actually want to consider asking about that in one of the reporting topics. I have vanilla and custom POIs with parts in my RWG world and they reset with the quests. Keep in mind that I don't know how "placing" a POI affects parts in a map, and that some parts have a probability of setting of 1 (which means 100%), meaning it's the same part that spawns, so if you're expecting a different part that may not always be the case.

I'm going forward with my custom bomb crater city tile, but I'm not satisfied with my progress. I'm trying to make a convincing crater. Using the selection tool makes it too blocky, using the terrain -/+ tools are just too sloppy, and using the dev tools like the digger would just take forever. I've tried combining tools but the results are not convincing.

I've tried finding a crater in several maps in the wasteland biome to copy/paste, which I haven't really been able to do. I can find plenty of mountains of rubble I can copy/paste parts of but then there's a problem with terrain at different depths. Meaning the depth at which stone starts doesn't match up where it should.

Looking for a method I may not have thought of to generate a convincing crater. Looking for something about 90x90 blocks and a depth of roughly 20 I could copy and paste to use as a base for my tile. Not sure if any of the current terrain generation tools might be useful.

Looking for ideas from other fabbers.

I would use Kingen with a crater heighmap that has been sized to fit your tile and the contrast adjusted to get the desired height/depth you want (when doing this, I generally make different versions of my height map with different levels of contrast so I can bring them all into a single  map and find the one I like)  .  Place this on a full sized greyscale image and use that in Kingen to generate a map.  Then go into the world editor, find the crater then export it out as a prefab.    

https://www.google.com/search?q=crater+height+map&rlz=1C1GEWG_enUS964US964&sxsrf=ALiCzsZ_SzHCYZZgry7DqBnOSkqkLA9NWA:1652726978417&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiv7dXj1-T3AhVLg4kEHVSZAPQQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1259&bih=846&dpr=2.25

I started a tutorial on how I do this a while back but never finished it.  But hopefully this should get you started....    

On 5/16/2022 at 2:55 PM, MichaelL. said:

I started a tutorial on how I do this a while back but never finished it.  But hopefully this should get you started....    

The tutorial actually made it very easy, I was able to skip a lot because I have several decades of experience in Photoshop. I ended up hand drawing the crater, though it still needs tweaking before I copy it into the tile.

crater.thumb.jpg.83bd0398fabb8f9d849499da8edd52cb.jpg

On 5/19/2022 at 10:52 PM, Deverezieaux said:

The tutorial actually made it very easy, I was able to skip a lot because I have several decades of experience in Photoshop. I ended up hand drawing the crater, though it still needs tweaking before I copy it into the tile.

crater.thumb.jpg.83bd0398fabb8f9d849499da8edd52cb.jpg

Excellent!

Okay gang, the bomb crater tile is coming along really well, I have a quandary however. I want to set POI spawns, buuuuut, I only want to use the filler POIs that have severe damage, like the filler below or the "rubble" fillers, so they make sense with the tile. Unfortunately none of the current damaged filler POIs are tagged as anything other than "downtown," so there's no way to set a spawn to a specific POI that I know of unless I tag the damaged vanilla POIs. I don't want to do that, as it would just be inconvenient to anyone using the tiles. I could just copy and paste the POIs into the tile permanently, but that's lame. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to call a POI by name instead of tag? Like using "rubble_downtown_filler_01" in the tag field?

cratertile.thumb.jpg.4369a4a7939566d1a6a4f126df33666b.jpg

damagedfiller.thumb.jpg.a434613e99b971663b0e377b4a8496b1.jpg

• Deverezieaux changed the title to Deverezieaux's POIs now as a modlet!