[Linux Server] (New to Linux Dedicated) - Cannot Connect, Server Seems not to be Using Set Ports (?)

abarham

Hey everyone.  Sorry for the vague title, not sure what is wrong here.  I cannot connect to a brand new server hosted on Digital Ocean.  I followed the steps at the beginning of Alloc's thread and the server seems to be starting up, but I cannot connect.  There is no firewall currently set up, and I'm using default settings just to try and get it working.

I'm new to Linux, but when I used netstat, it only shows the server listening on port 8081 (for telnet), and the listing looks like this:

Instance name        | Running  | Players | Port
---------------------+----------+---------+------
Azure                |      yes |    ?/ 6 | 26900

And the status:

Open ports:
    8081 (tcp)
Players:

Game info:
    Server name:    <server name>
    Password:       xxxxx
    Max players:    6
    World:          RWG

Network info:
    Port:           26900
    Public:
    Control Panel:  off
    Telnet:         Port 8081, Pass xxxxxx

I'm fairly certain I did everything correct, but obviously I missed something.  I'd be very appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction, even to say something like, "there could be a million things wrong."  Trying to learn how to run this on Linux :)

Thanks!

n3cr0

Thanks -- I have a friend who's a network admin and knows Linux quite well that will help me eventually...  With that said, here are the servers with netstat -tulpen

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       User       Inode      PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8081            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      996        37118      12058/7DaysToDieSer
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      101        19796      586/systemd-resolve
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      0          21494      762/sshd: /usr/sbin
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      0          23553      762/sshd: /usr/sbin
udp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*                           101        19795      586/systemd-resolve

I should also note that the ? / 6 players isn't a typo.  I'm not sure if that is supposed to show 0 / 6 instead.  I know the binary is running -- it did the whole tons of CPU/memory for a bit and when the server is running it uses ~5% of a core and a little bit of memory, but not a ton.  Is there a way to verify the server actually started up?  Would the 7dtd.sh commands "status" and "instance list" be able to help diagnose this?

Again, thanks for the response :)

7 hours ago, abarham said:

Thanks -- I have a friend who's a network admin and knows Linux quite well that will help me eventually...  With that said, here are the servers with netstat -tulpen

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       User       Inode      PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8081            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      996        37118      12058/7DaysToDieSer
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      101        19796      586/systemd-resolve
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      0          21494      762/sshd: /usr/sbin
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      0          23553      762/sshd: /usr/sbin
udp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*                           101        19795      586/systemd-resolve

I should also note that the ? / 6 players isn't a typo.  I'm not sure if that is supposed to show 0 / 6 instead.  I know the binary is running -- it did the whole tons of CPU/memory for a bit and when the server is running it uses ~5% of a core and a little bit of memory, but not a ton.  Is there a way to verify the server actually started up?  Would the 7dtd.sh commands "status" and "instance list" be able to help diagnose this?

Again, thanks for the response :)

Sure there is a way to find out if the server actually started up. Find the logfile, read it. Even better, publish the logfile on pastebin and post a link in this thread so people who know the logfile's ins and outs can decipher it. 

More infos can be found in pinned threads in the "General Support" section of the forum, for example the usual location of the logfile (usually in the games directory in 7DaysToDieServer_Data , the files are called output_log...)

By the way, if you didn't give the server a pregenerated world to use then it will take A LOT OF time to generate a world before it allows connections. Normally world generation uses the graphics cards and is done in about 10 minutes, without a graphics card on a server will probably take an hour or more though I don't have any actual time estimations for A20 (as RWG changed a lot from A19 to A20)

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Posting the logfile is a good idea, thanks.  I think I figured it out though -- I was trying to generate a world that was too large for the server's memory and so it killed the process.  Why the binary kept going, I'm not sure.  I generated a smaller world and it all seems to be working.

Out of memory: Killed process 33300 (7DaysToDieServe) total-vm:14248152kB, anon-rss:7791480kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:4kB, UID:996 pgtables:15984kB oom_score_adj:0

Thanks for your help -- next time I'll start with a pastebin :)

• 2 weeks later...

You answered your own question it seems.
I want to share my own experience.

I have a dedicated server on my gaming PC(in virtualisation).

When you start server for first time it takes easilly 10 minutes or more, depending on hardware, for it to generate new map.

So give it 15 minutes and see if it works.

instead of netstat I use:

ss -tulpn

command above will show you all network ports opened.