How to RWG with custom POIs?

Durham

Hi Guys,

as with A20 I'd like to play a ingame generated World, which works fine with the basic POIs. For some reason I can't find a way to include custom POI to the mix even though I've implemented them into the games folder ....7 Days To Die\Data\Prefabs\POIs

Do I have to set them manually into the world or is there any way to make the game using them as well on world generation?

Thanks for any help! :)

You probably should be on the Mods - section, from there:

(The arrow in the corner of the quote will take you to the relevant post)

On 8/28/2017 at 8:26 PM, Jackelmyer said:
  • Once your prefab and mesh are all created, copy them into your games \Data\Prefabs folder.
  • In Data\Config\rwgmixer.xml, find the City Groups, Rural Groups, whatever, and add your prefab name to the list just like the other prefabs are in that list.
  • Start a new Random Gen game.
  • Once in the new game, open your console and type "bc-lhcd partofmyprefabname" without the quotes. So to match the export example: "bc-lhcd mysteamname". This will show you a list and the coordinates of prefabs that match your bc-lhcd search criteria. Pop on over and you should be able to goof around in your brand new and completed prefab.
Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
On 12/24/2021 at 5:52 AM, theFlu said:

You probably should be on the Mods - section, from there:

(The arrow in the corner of the quote will take you to the relevant post)

is this still relevant and if so can  you give me an  example of  where  I'm  looking to add

9 hours ago, Beals said:

is this still relevant and if so can  you give me an  example of  where  I'm  looking to add

Well, I've never done it myself, I just linked to a post that looked like it would solve the issue. So, while I would assume it's relevant, you probably want to either

- ask in that thread or post a new thread in the mods-section with a specific question

- or just try to figure it out yourself, your digging in the files is just as effective as mine... :)

Are you talking about POIs that you have made, that you're getting from modlet, or just POI files that somebody has made available?

The location you're placing them (the game files) should work. If not, then I start to wonder if the POIs are appropriately "tagged." If not, RWG will overlook them. This is why I asked the question above. If you're getting older POI files (like for A19) then they won't be tagged, nor will they ultimately work.

In A20, you do not need to add to rwgmixer.xml if you just have POIs. If you're adding a Tile, then you do.

If you were to catch me on Discord I'd spend a few mins helping you out.

On 4/14/2022 at 2:39 PM, zztong said:

Are you talking about POIs that you have made, that you're getting from modlet, or just POI files that somebody has made available?

The location you're placing them (the game files) should work. If not, then I start to wonder if the POIs are appropriately "tagged." If not, RWG will overlook them. This is why I asked the question above. If you're getting older POI files (like for A19) then they won't be tagged, nor will they ultimately work.

In A20, you do not need to add to rwgmixer.xml if you just have POIs. If you're adding a Tile, then you do.

If you were to catch me on Discord I'd spend a few mins helping you out.

i  think i figured it out  for the most part. but will reach out on disquit to  chat.

• 2 months later...

Here is the thing that seems strange to me. Pre A20 I downloaded a bunch of custom POI packs, one of them being zztong. I made no modifications to any files, simply downloaded and placed in the Prefabs folder.

With A20 no custom POIs show up using the RWG except the zztong POIs DO get used with the built in RWG yet no other custom POIs.

So what is so special about these POIs that they were able to transition just fine?

47 minutes ago, Cndrocker said:

Here is the thing that seems strange to me. Pre A20 I downloaded a bunch of custom POI packs, one of them being zztong. I made no modifications to any files, simply downloaded and placed in the Prefabs folder.

With A20 no custom POIs show up using the RWG except the zztong POIs DO get used with the built in RWG yet no other custom POIs.

So what is so special about these POIs that they were able to transition just fine?

Most the prefabbers update their pois . 

Maybe got to their threads and update to the new pois they have done. 

If you talking bout your own then there is more that is needed

1 hour ago, Cndrocker said:

It's pretty hard to diagnose the issue with the clue provided. As I understand it, only my modlet worked?

Can you give us an example of a modlet that did not work and perhaps a link to where you got it?

I think @stallionsden is on the right track. The theory is your other modlets are for A19 and have no tags in their XML files that the RWG recognizes, so they weren't placed. And, even if you added the tags, they would contain blocks that are no longer in A20.

• 1 month later...

Unless I have my terminology wrong, I didn't install any modlets. I simply downloaded POIs that I found interesting that did not require any additional mods (so no mod folder, just placed in POI folder) and they all worked pre-A20. Once A20 came out and I attempted to generate a new RGW, none of the downloaded POIs were integrated into the RGW except yours. 

As for an example of the POIs that didn't work, throw a stone, you'll hit one. Unless it's yours.

What tags would I have to add and which blocks would I have to look out for that wouldn't work? Do you do something different with yours?

2 hours ago, Cndrocker said:

Unless I have my terminology wrong, I didn't install any modlets. I simply downloaded POIs that I found interesting that did not require any additional mods (so no mod folder, just placed in POI folder) and they all worked pre-A20. Once A20 came out and I attempted to generate a new RGW, none of the downloaded POIs were integrated into the RGW except yours. 

As for an example of the POIs that didn't work, throw a stone, you'll hit one. Unless it's yours.

What tags would I have to add and which blocks would I have to look out for that wouldn't work? Do you do something different with yours?

As a general rule, prefabs from A19 and earlier won't work for A20. Here's a not-necessarily-complete list of the reasons why:

• A19 contains blocks that aren't in A20. There is an A19-to-A20 conversion process, but some blocks simply can't be converted automatically. POI authors need to fix them even after conversion.
  • A20 RWG uses Tiles for everything (except wilderness POIs). Tiles can only accept POIs of certain specific sizes (like 42x42 or 60x60).
  • A20 POIs need "driveway" parts in order to connect to roads.
  • The way A20 places POIs is through the values in a "Tags" property in the POI's XML file. That property did not exist in A19.

Also, it looks like TFP want everyone to put POIs (and mods) inside the user's %appdata% folder, and to avoid putting anything into the game's directory structure. Apparently this is a requirement to get 7D2D to work with Microsoft game stores and cross-play.

14 hours ago, Cndrocker said:

First, @khzmusik is dead-on about the reasons why an A19 POI won't work. It is pretty easy to grab old content from places like Nexus Mods. I suggest looking at the modification date. You want things that were updated in 2022 or the very end of 2021.

Second, some POIs are distributed as a "modlet" and others are just the POI files. Mine come as a modlet, so it goes into the Mods folder and that way you get all of the extra configuration that comes with them. For instance, my custom Tiles and Decor will get added to the game if you install it as a modlet. If you just stuff the files in with other Prefabs, they won't. There are folks who just give you the POI files and don't wrap a modlet around them. In that case, those files need to go into your %appdata%/7DaysToDie/LocalPrefabs folder.

My modlet is supposed to be no-fuss. Unzip it and put the ZZTong-Prefabs folder in %appdata%/7DaysToDie/Mods and you should be all set.

But if you download and unpack somebody's POI and just have 6 files with the same name, but different extensions, then you got the POI files and they go in LocalPrefabs.

If you're using the CompoPack, then you need to follow CP's directions, either for their modlet approach or for the Infinity installer approach.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

Ok I understand that part now.

Though still none of this explains why your POIs still work. Even more so considering I just dumped them (the files you mentioned with same name and different extensions) in the prefabs folder in the game directory and did not install them as a modlet. I didn't put them in a mod folder (or even have a Mods folder at time), and they are still the same files I downloaded about a year ago. Curious.

1 hour ago, Cndrocker said:

Though still none of this explains why your POIs still work. Even more so considering I just dumped them (the files you mentioned with same name and different extensions) in the prefabs folder in the game directory and did not install them as a modlet. I didn't put them in a mod folder (or even have a Mods folder at time), and they are still the same files I downloaded about a year ago. Curious.

That I cannot explain. A year ago would have been in A19. I couldn't have made A20 compatible POIs until A20-Experimental came out, which I want to think was around Thanksgiving.

You could extract my POI files from my modlet and put them into your Prefabs folder. That would have worked in A19 and would mostly work in A20, assuming you grabbed the POI from an A20 build. You'd be missing Parts because they'd be in the wrong folder, missing Tiles because you'd be missing the related config changes, missing Decor because of missing config changes, and with the latest release you'd be missing custom blocks because of missing config.