Idea for Guard Dogs

ScorpTheGamer

I was being chased by zombie doberman dogs, and I thought it would be a interesting if I could tame and capture them. I could throw a bone at an attacking dog, which would distract him long enough for him to lay down and gnaw on the bone. Then he would slowly walk towards me growling with his head down. If I had another bone in my hand he would follow me back to my base. At the base I have "kennel" ready for him and would place the bone inside. He would get in kennel and I could shut the door. Once in a while I could give him another bone. When he finally calms down I can take him out and play "fetch the bone" with him. By mousing over him I can see how well trained he is, more fetch, more fed, more trained... Then when he is fully trained I could let him loose in my walled or fenced compound and he would kill zombies for me... Sounds easy enough, right? Glad I am not a programmer. Scorp

Except you forget he is a zombie, and you cannot tame/train zombies. If they were normal, non zombie dogs then yes, training them would be a possible option, but seeing as they have been turned into zombies, I see no way of logically doing what you want to accomplish.

The non zombie dogs wouldnt last. These zombies are created by bites / scratches for their method of change. The guard dog's primary method of attack is biting.. what he bites also bites back.. what he bites gets in his mouth.. in his system.. makes another zombie dog.. eats you... bad dog.

[QUOTE=Ashoda;128168] eats you... bad dog.[/QUOTE] LOL, too bad your logic makes sense, haha. I really like the idea of a trainable pet (and not knowing if a dog you see in the distance is tameable or zombie until your too close for comfort...), but using it as a watchdog might be a bad idea indeed.

Another problem with the guard dog - Dog barks to alert you a zombie is close / noise from barking alerts other zombies in surrounding are. Now you have a horde of zombies coming for you, when you may of only had 1-2 before. Kind of a double edge sword type of thing.

[QUOTE=TerryRosti;129003]LOL, too bad your logic makes sense, haha. I really like the idea of a trainable pet (and not knowing if a dog you see in the distance is tameable or zombie until your too close for comfort...), but using it as a watchdog might be a bad idea indeed.[/QUOTE] of course a squad of dogs could pull some of the heat off of you in a horde situation. granted they would only really be "one time use" pets. Also, if they have low health like zed dogs, they wouldn't last in a big fight anyway. Unless, you could feed them antibiotics to cure the infection after each battle. Also, you could fashion armor for them to boost health and potentially damage, (hardened iron claws). The option for the truly twisted, would be to rig explosives into the armor so that if a zed does kill your dog, the tnt goes off when he dies. An expansion on the armor idea would be a dog backpack, you simply interact with your pet and you store any excess stuff in his inventory. You could also make a recipe involving antibiotics and some other medicine items, to make a cure, (only works on dogs though). That way you make some sort of delivery device, (syringe for melee, or hypodermic dart for crossbow) inject the dog, and he becomes cured, and tamed as a result. You could also give them a command wheel, (like skyrim followers) that would allow you to set simple AI patterns. Things like aggressive, (attacks any detected enemy) defensive, (only attacks enemies that come within a certain distance) stand ground/stealth mode, (for when you don't want to give yourself away to any wandering zeds) finally, a decoy mode, (dog runs around barking for set time while evading zombies, said zeds are drawn away by the dog allowing you to search an area) this last option could also be used as a last resort if you get caught outside at night. your pet sacrifices itself to ensure your survival, (unless he outruns and loses the zombies). on a side note, say you fully upgrade your dog, armor damage and everything else. then you forget his daily antibiotics ration, (oops). then you are stuck with a boss zombie dog with armor that is much more dangerous lol. Could also make it so that he is immune to further cure items, (virus mutated a resistance in the dog).

I like that idea legolas. Even though im a cat person, i would enjoy having dogs as pets/companions. Use them as distractions or like you said they can help carry loot for you if you want to go out looting for days and days, or move bases. Would be very cool i think. Would also like to have animal farms too, deer, rabbit, pig, stag, maybe chickens.

[QUOTE=CongoBongo;129034] Would also like to have animal farms too, deer, rabbit, pig, stag, maybe chickens.[/QUOTE] I would actually like it if deer would occasionally attack you. Either when they see you, (intruding on his territory) or when you attack, (fight or flight response). Given their absurdly high health, I would expect a decent amount of attack power from them, especially considering the size of those antlers. It would have to be a somewhat random chance though, I would say around 30-40% of the encounters turn out this way to make it somewhat unpredictable. Also, deer have attacked humans occasionally IRL so this wouldn't be totally crazy, and it would add a bit of challenge to hunting the main ingredient in Stew, which is a bit overpowered right now, and needs a little challenge involved.

lol, hell yeah. I did see a mod where someone turned the animals "bad" and they would attack you, but the dogs were friendly. ...and yeah killer stags would be fun, they are fast as hell and those antlers would surely do some damage. Imagine a heard of animals breaking down your walls lol.

So we're again all in for feeding (zombie) dogs rotten and zombie bones :-) The whole idea makes sense once you find a living dog that used to be tame (there's virtually no chance to tame wild dogs in a reasonable amount of time). If I take some info from Zombie Survival Guide (a book dreamers around here should definitely read...), dogs would shun and avoid the undead, running away from them or barking at them if safe. They used the dogs to identify bitten people when accepting refugees into sanctuaries, not to fight the actual ghouls. Also, even if you trained a dog to attack the undead, what exactly would a bite in a leg or a torn artery do to a living corpse? As for walking backpacks, dogs can pull quite a weight if harnessed to a sleigh or cart but are not able to carry any significant weight upon them (it would hurt their spines). I can imagine stags with saddle bags more easily :-) What could be good, apart from a simple fact that another breathing and living being is near you, could be a quiet growling when zombie smell is detected. Y'know, no barking that would alert anyone in a kilometer radius, just a low growl... And what would I do with a dog I tamed with a piece of meat (as opposed to indigestible and tasteless bone)? I would hunt game with it of course!

@ggoblin I like most of your ideas, but dogs could do quite a bit of damage to zeds, (maybe not at the start, but once you "arm" them with some equipment) the zed dogs rear up and claw you sometimes. I would see this as giving them a chance to do limb damage. tearing or biting through tendons. Could have a chance to make a zombie have to resort to crawling. Then the dog could attack the head and kill them. I like the alert system you propose, maybe have an interaction option where you set the distance that the dog growls at. say have a choice between 5, 10, 15, and 20 blocks. that way you could set it so that the dog would only alert you once a zed started getting dangerously close. As the current sound system is a little misleading. I find that zombies tend to sound MUCH MUCH closer than they actually are. Also, a sled would work just as good or better than a pack. I was just suggesting ideas for extra inventory. A pack could be used because it would be simpler than adjusting the dogs "size" and inadvertently making it unable to travel over or around certain things.

Well maybe when NPC are introduced, they can have a a merchant (that you have to find, or will roam into your location) that will barter goods for trained guard dogs?:) That's all I was getting at about the dog barking and drawing in other zombie's. Not everyone would have the skills to properly train a dog. A dog Trainer NPC though...

Yeah i like it. You could slowly make them more tame over time once you feed them fresh meat regularly. You might have to train them as well, to attack the zombies. Sometimes you fail giving the command to attack, but the longer you have and feed the dog, the more loyal it becomes and will eventually listen to everything you tell him to do even if its strap a bomb to him and have him run into a horde. Maybe using the bones as a distraction if you dont have the time to tame them. Toss the bone in the corner of the junkyard and all the dogs go for it an are occupied for a set amount of time. Cause zombie or not, that dog is going to go after a bone :D

• 2 weeks later...
Nice Post ! 2 thumbs up :) For me, I'd like to see the wild side of the dogs stay intact. Meaning they are never tamable.... just "catchable". The simplest way to "catch" would be to create a "DOG TRAP"... a craftable item. 1/ Use the "Dog Trap" in hand when a dog attacks you... a bit of a timing issue and slightly dangerous.. but doable. 2/ IF you manage to use the Dog Trap to catch your new best friend... The dog changes in ONE aspect only. - The Dog "LOSES" the ability to destroy blocks. 3/ So you take your trap out and place it in a room or pit and "unlock the dog" from the Dog Trap. 4/ He'll eat you and your friends if he can, and he's still an undead... so it wont affect zombies, but would be a wonderful PVP addition. LOL especially if you "gifted" one to a friend... what a wonderful surprise :)

Zombie dogs could be a viable pvp option if you could work it out so they are in a closed in area around your base like a courtyard and couldkeep them from destroying your base blocks ect... unsuspecting looter hops over your fence... thinking "hmm what do they got in... wait... BLARghhhh... " ... dead.

Nice idea.The only problem is de-spawning when you go out of range. With livestock on TFP list, will we be able to pen them in to fleece and milk like farm animals? And will that mean they will not de-spawn? If TFP can disable the de-spawning of livestock, they could do the same for everything else. What I would like to do is make bear pits and trap the wild animals for my supper.

I'm thinking that it MAY be possible to code an animal as a block vs an actual animal for milking purposes ect ect. However this would mean you have a cow the size of a block :) maybe doable with a prefab making it a bit larger, however still static. It MIGHT be possible to rework a bit of the animal code tho to keep it from despawning, not exactly sure what is possible until i look at it but those are my initial thoughts.

Coding an animal as a block... nice solution. look forward to dairy & beef herds LOL though "goats" might be a more appropriate. I thought over the Animal Trap as a Weapon to catch dogs... I think I would like to 'place' a couple of these puppies in a friend's base. Even if they de-spawn if you go away... I'm O.K. with that... I personally would like to stick around and enjoy the fireworks... LOL

Archived