Why are there no children zombies?

Ashlockheart

2 hours ago, Silverjohn said:

Violence against children, even zombie ones, would get the game banned in a lot of countries, most notably Germany.  This goes back as far as the original Black Isle Fallout games in the 90's.

That. It'd be over for german players as the country is the most soyed when it comes to violence in games. I remember they even censored TF2 for being too violent in their tastes, a child aesthetic game, so if they saw 7DtD having killable children I wouldn't want to know their reaction.

TFPs have stated like... back in A8 (at least that was when I first heard it) that children are off limits.

They have had a short internal discussion and all of them were against the idea of putting in childzombies.
Why? See comments above. Violence against children isn't something everyone is comfortable with. Even as zombies.

In a cartoony game like minecraft that works, ebcause they are sooo comicy.
But this is not a blocky fun fun game.

10 hours ago, Roland said:

lol.

10 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

history repeats itself

He is new guy so he can don't know why so more indulgence . @Ashlockheart well - devs don't want it because australia germany etc have @%$#ty law and people from there bought this game so if they add them their game will baned in this countries.  yeah that sucks

40 minutes ago, RyanX said:

There is a mod for this...and there are also crawling baby zombies in this mod.  Very disturbing.

Oh I'd like to try this out. Take out some much needed frustration. 

"Talk back to me now you little sh*t"

"complain again when asked to take out the trash or to take the dogs for a walk" 

"Sit around & watch TikTok all day now"

"Waste that dinner again....."

"Leave those empty plates & cups in your room again"

That's all I got for now. Things my kids do that really chaps my ass 😬

3 hours ago, Ray_Garraty said:

Well, for example Dying Light has zombie children... And it really adds to the game's atmosphere

You have to measure "adding to a game's atmosphere" against dramatically limiting the potential international audience.  And, therefore, the game's potential revenue stream.  Not to mention, it sounds like, the game designers' own personal reservations on the topic.

If this is an important idea or feature for you, I suspect that you could certainly explore your modding options to add this.

Edited by ckuebler (see edit history)

1 hour ago, ckuebler said:

You have to measure "adding to a game's atmosphere" against dramatically limiting the potential international audience.  And, therefore, the game's potential revenue stream.  Not to mention, it sounds like, the game designers' own personal reservations on the topic.

If this is an important idea or feature for you, I suspect that you could certainly explore your modding options to add this.

He'd love Days Gone then. Fairly early cutscene has a freaker (that games zombies aren't really zombies - infected, changed, but not undead) ripping apart a newt (the child version of freakers) Pretty horrific actually if you think about it. Probably turn some peoples stomachs.

I can't stand the newts. Couldn't stand the screaming baby zombies in Dying Light. Or the coked out high speed zombies in Minecraft even. I just hate children period.  I hate zombie children twice as much. Don't get me started on baby ogres...

So I'm glad 7DTD doesn't have them.

On 12/19/2021 at 12:30 AM, Silverjohn said:

Violence against children, even zombie ones, would get the game banned in a lot of countries, most notably Germany.  This goes back as far as the original Black Isle Fallout games in the 90's.

IIRC even before the 90's.   Children as zombies has been a hot button issue for quite some time since the scene in the original 78 Dawn of the Dead.  The scene with two children were quite controversial.  Later, in zombie film culture - the genre had more and more directors and make up artists pay homage to Tom Savini and his protege Greg Nicotero have since managed to conjure it up in a way that didn't hurt too many hollywood (and abroad) sensitivities.  The Majority just didn't want to see that kind of thing.

The Japanese film industry in particular had a full range of outright artistic embrace of it (particularly the Dawn remake) to full scale rejection of it.  The reaction so far has been when zombie films are produced they have certain editions cut to fit official censorship boards and regional sensitivities.  For instance, there are Russian zombie films so violent and disgusting they aren't very popular here in the states for our own marketing reasons.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

Generally world wide violence against children is a big nono. It will get your game blacklisted by a lot of people and cause controversy. Small baby versions of creatures like minecraft is ok because they really are not associated with children. Shooting a anatomically correct child zombie would turn a lot of people off from the game, especially those who have children themselves.

14 hours ago, ate0ate said:

Days gone integrated child zombies in a great way. Newts. agile wall climbers that hang out on roof tops and only attack if you attack first or invade their territory. It really does add to the game and I don't think that game was banned anywhere.

a quick google reveals there has been some dismay over that. I've never heard of days gone before now and I have to wonder if the child zombies didnt stop some of the advertising and word of mouth that usually happens.

Yeah, no, Days Gone suffered from mixed reviews unfortunately. Plus it was a PS exclusive for a long time. Critics said it was unoriginal and offered nothing new while others praised its take on an open world and the 500 zombie hordes and horde mechanic in general. It wasn't really until it released on PC that it gained a bit of a cult following. I've never heard mention of the child zombie thing being a reason for any of that. It barely drew any attention or ire for that. I think if TFP do not want child zombies in their game, that is fine. Its their choice. But to pretend it would damage game sales in some meaningful way is just silly. Everyone is offended by nonsense these days. If that were their design philosophy, to not offend, then the game would be trash and doomed from the start. They'd have to start pulling out the strip club and female zombies in general and hey, why not just pull out the violence in general? It'd be a whole can of worms/slippery slope to start on so I doubt that that is what their decision is based on.

5 hours ago, ate0ate said:

Yeah, no, Days Gone suffered from mixed reviews unfortunately. Plus it was a PS exclusive for a long time. Critics said it was unoriginal and offered nothing new while others praised its take on an open world and the 500 zombie hordes and horde mechanic in general. It wasn't really until it released on PC that it gained a bit of a cult following. I've never heard mention of the child zombie thing being a reason for any of that. It barely drew any attention or ire for that. I think if TFP do not want child zombies in their game, that is fine. Its their choice. But to pretend it would damage game sales in some meaningful way is just silly. Everyone is offended by nonsense these days. If that were their design philosophy, to not offend, then the game would be trash and doomed from the start. They'd have to start pulling out the strip club and female zombies in general and hey, why not just pull out the violence in general? It'd be a whole can of worms/slippery slope to start on so I doubt that that is what their decision is based on.

I've never seen more than 200, I count how many ears I have after a horde, still I would be thrilled if 7D could do even half that.

It was a good game. Not great, but very good. It had its bugs, and the storyline had a lot of holes in it, and the main character was always yelling (mostly while talking to himself...@%$#er was about as annoying as Naruto) but it was engaging and entertaining. The melee was atrocious, but the gunplay was satisfying. Dying Light is still better overall  (although the combat situation there is reversed).

Especially in this day and age of perpetual offense yes someone will always find something but there are some things that are just generally offensive to the vast majority of people. Violence against children is one of them. Much as I dislike children in general and think the world would be a better place if everyone started beating their useless spoiled entitled children every time they get out of line, even I don't find any gameplay value added by having children to kill. It was certainly not one of my favorite things about DG

Edited by Krougal (see edit history)