Quality 7 items

MiTHMoN

Personally, I think it's backwards that, players who invest their skill points into a certain weapon type can only craft up to quality 5 (and still require the parts from looting/scrapping to craft), while generalist builds can loot quality 6 gear with no specific point investment. 

I've got a couple possible solutions. 

1) Only put quality 6 items on the loot table when the player looting has 5/5 in the specific weapon/item skill (for example 5/5 Gunslinger for SMG-5) as well as 5/5 in Lucky Looter. That way, generalist looters won't be getting the highest quality gear without specializing. 

Or alternatively:

2) Make quality 6 items scrap into a different item. For example, quality 1-5 pistols would scrap into "pistol parts", while quality 6 pistols would scrap into "quality pistol parts", and then give a new crafting recipe (that requires 5/5 in the appropriate skill) to craft a Quality 7 version. I personally hate random stat rolling, so I'd want Quality 7 items to have "perfect quality 6 stat rolls". So, if you got lucky and found a perfectly rolled Quality 6 item, it would be the same as a Quality 7 item. But if you wanted to make sure your item had perfect rolls, you'd go to the extra trouble to craft a quality 7. 

Thoughts?

17 hours ago, MiTHMoN said:

Personally, I think it's backwards that, players who invest their skill points into a certain weapon type can only craft up to quality 5 (and still require the parts from looting/scrapping to craft), while generalist builds can loot quality 6 gear with no specific point investment. 

I've got a couple possible solutions. 

1) Only put quality 6 items on the loot table when the player looting has 5/5 in the specific weapon/item skill (for example 5/5 Gunslinger for SMG-5) as well as 5/5 in Lucky Looter. That way, generalist looters won't be getting the highest quality gear without specializing. 

Or alternatively:

2) Make quality 6 items scrap into a different item. For example, quality 1-5 pistols would scrap into "pistol parts", while quality 6 pistols would scrap into "quality pistol parts", and then give a new crafting recipe (that requires 5/5 in the appropriate skill) to craft a Quality 7 version. I personally hate random stat rolling, so I'd want Quality 7 items to have "perfect quality 6 stat rolls". So, if you got lucky and found a perfectly rolled Quality 6 item, it would be the same as a Quality 7 item. But if you wanted to make sure your item had perfect rolls, you'd go to the extra trouble to craft a quality 7. 

Thoughts?

I usually use the weapon I'm proficient with (i.e. the one I have perked) while other weapons of quality 6 tend to be either uninteresting or for special occasions or to have a use for ammo I could alternatively only sell. One expection are the INT turrets or if I myself play INT.

Perks together with the attribute usually make a weapon double as effective as unperked (50% more damage plus faster shooting, reload, head explode bonus plus other special effects). So I don't have any envy for some generalist having the same quality weapon as myself. And in co-op play I have first pick to the weapon of my choice anyway 😉

That's right. There is currently no point in specializing in normal play. Weapon perk bonuses are weak and boring, loot is generally better than what you can craft. Without a perk, you are not tied to a specific type of weapon. There are many perks in the game that can do more impact then 50% damage for 5 points

I'd remove quality 6 items from most loot tables personally. Maybe they're only available as high end rewards from quests, or low chance from the main loot of a POI.

Make it so you can craft quality 6 if you fully invest in the tree, instead of max quality 5. So your reward for investing in the tree is the quality 6 gear.

I do like your idea on quality 7 being perfect roll quality 6 items though. Kind of like Diablo 3's Primal Ancient gear.

Yeah loot is better than what you can craft. I don't know why I wasted my points into even upgrading the tree to make myself craft level 5 armor and weapons. In one day I found level 6 steel gloves, leg armor, boots, level 5 steel armor and helmet. Level 6 steel sledge, axe, level 5 steel pickaxe, level 6 desert vulture. I have basically everything I need just from looting and all those parts I collected over the weeks were for nothing, I can just scrap or sell them now.

The actual bonuses are definitely worth investing into the perks, but I've never felt any incentive to actually craft weapons or tools beyond the first week or so.

It's an anecdotal example, but in the process of looting enough pistols to scrap into enough parts to craft a tier 5 pistol, I almost always find a tier 4-5 pistol, and it's not particularly uncommon for me to have found a tier 6 pistol.

Honestly, I see weapon crafting nowadays as the Anti-RNG safety net, for when you somehow get lucky enough to grab a bunch of high level weapons but they're somehow all low tier at the same time.