A20 (experimental) Farming could be better, here is my suggestion

walkingwounded

I find the new farming mechanic...a step backward...compared to a19 (which was a bit OP in retrospect). Seems like TFP tried to nerf it, and went a bit further than needed (for fun that is).

For reference I think you need 2 mushrooms and 2 corn in the veg stew recipe (which I think is a mid tier Master Chef recipe), so the aim is to get enough stew to sustain you for three days (until the next harvest). Depending on your character build this could be about 9 portions (assuming 100 food/day).

Notes:
  • Note: my yield calculations are based on a ten plot per plant model, thus you would need 30 plots/plants to make say corn, potato's and mushrooms in my formula (I needed a reference point to begin explaining this, I picked ten).
  • optional change: no replanting entire crop each harvest, just replant damaged seeds (If I harvest 100 plots, maybe I make and replant 10-20 seeds)
    • if complete replanting is required, reduce seed loss to 20% at level 2 and finally zero at level three instead
  • keep the plot cost reductions at each level as they are (I'm really only adjusting the yield and loss ratios for the most part)

Suggestion:

• at level zero (Living Off The Land perk):
    • plots are expensive, start saving rotten flesh
    • don't even bother planting
  • at level one:
    • 35% seed loss
      • You are just figuring out how this stuff works. Do you have a green thumb, or is it gangrene?
    • 2x yield per farmed plant, 1x per wild plant (unchanged)
    • Result:
      • ten plot yield would be ~20 pieces
      • lose 3-4 seeds
      • convert 15/20 to 3/4 seeds
      • you get a lucky RNG, you keep +5 (sometimes)
      • Slow, but not guaranteed to fail. Level one should be barely sustainable with some luck, but NOT a death sentence.
  • level two should be slightly better
    • Seed cost reduced to 4
      • Your learning how to make seeds without damaging them now.
    • 25% seed loss
      • No more grip and rip when harvesting.
    • 2x yield per wild plant (gather plants for seeds)
    • Result:
      • ten plot yield would be ~20
      • 3 seed loss
      • convert 12
      • keep +8
      • Player still has incentive to upgrade perk level or farm size and likely still needs to supplement with other rations.
  • level three should be significantly better:
    • Seed cost reduced to 3 (or increase yield to 3 instead?)
      • You know how to make seeds efficiently with minimal damage in the process.
    • Seed loss reduced to 10% (or eliminated) to reduce replanting grind
      • You handle your plants better than your first born, or so you'd like to think.
    • Result:
      • ten plot yield would be ~20
      • lose 1 seed
      • convert 3
      • keep +17
      • Harvest when you want, you can feed more than yourself now. Cornmeal for days (don't tell farmer Glock).

Conclusion:

The yields remain the same (2x) for farmed plants, but by leveling the perk you get to keep more of each harvest at each level. This also keeps much of the existing model intact, so not really an overhaul of the a20 mechanic, more of an adjustment I think. Effectively, level 1 = break even or better, but not by much, level 2 = sustainable, level 3 = can support more than one player (some teams delegate farming to one player after all).

I think an adjustment along these lines would help players enjoy farming without it getting to OP levels until late game.

Thoughts and comments?

Edited by walkingwounded
tags added (no a20 yet) (see edit history)