Suggestion: More Organized Crafting

KeithFromCanada

One of the issues with pretty much every crafting game is the underlying assumption that anytime you want to make something you will have every single component on your person.  Anyone who has ever made anything in real life knows just how... dumb that is.  If we have a crafting area, we have all of our tools/components/etc. carefully stored away and only take them out to actually use them, putting them back afterwards.  All crafting mechanisms in games should support this.  To that end, I suggest adding the following perk:

Intellect/Craftsmanship/Organization: 

• Item crafting or repairing can pull from any surrounding storage, including workstation outputs. 
  • A recipe will only be greyed-out if both the player's inventory and storage in range don't have sufficient quantities.  In other words, players don't have to have any of the components in their personal inventory as long as storage within range does. 
  • Clicking 'Fill' or 'Move' when no storage is selected will move items to surrounding surrounding storage.  Shift-clicking the 'Fill' button will fill inventory stacks from surrounding storage. 
  • When inventory/storage is open and player is holding an item, middle-clicking on a slot will reserve that slot for that item type--as Factorio does.  (Other items can still be manually placed in that slot, but adding that item to the inventory/storage will move the item that is in the way, if possible.)
  • If a blind fill/move is made, items will prefer storage with reserved slots for that item or item type.  (i.e. 7.62 rounds will prefer storage with other ammo.

Tiers:

1. Can pull from storage up to 1 cell away. 
  2. Can pull from storage up to 2 cells away. 
  3. Can pull from storage up to 3 cells away.  Will automatically cue up secondary crafting.  (i.e. if the recipe calls for duct tape and there isn't enough, sufficient will be cued up before the main recipe is.)
  4. Can pull from storage up to 4 cells away.  Will automatically cue up tertiary crafting.  (i.e. if there aren't enough secondary components, they will be cued up first.)
  5. Can pull from storage up to 5 cells away.  Will automatically cue up all levels of crafting on all workstations within range, moving auxiliary components between workstations as needed.

This would be especially handy in the later game when players will naturally acquire a lot of different materials/tools/etc. and organizing everything becomes more and more of a pain and less and less fun.  (Digging through storage to get all of the components needed for a recipe isn't the most enjoyable part of the game.)  This way you can just make whatever you want without worrying about where to find the necessary components in the dozen or so crates around you.  It would also make unloading and sorting inventory at the end of missions SOOO much less annoying.

Does that make sense?

Unfortunatly no. Because this will create a lot of problems-  you can create storage like chest and put it there something. easy right? but you have "generated" storage like bags- you can put something there. Or what if your base is in range of unlooted storage etc. i know this sounds silly but a lot of things can be broken by this. so hm idea is good but if this was implemented years before. No this could be too much "buggy" to be added

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Unfortunatly no. Because this will create a lot of problems-  you can create storage like chest and put it there something. easy right? but you have "generated" storage like bags- you can put something there. Or what if your base is in range of unlooted storage etc. i know this sounds silly but a lot of things can be broken by this. so hm idea is good but if this was implemented years before. No this could be too much "buggy" to be added

Fair points, but not deal breakers; it would just have to be limited to player-created storage.

Edited by KeithFromCanada (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

I could agree but... people will complain about that limit so... better nothing that bad

Actually, now that I think more about it, there is no reason not to include all kinds of storage, even vehicle storage.  (...except unsearched storage and locked storage like safes/etc.)  After all, even at tier 5, pulling range is limited to 5 blocks in all directions, which *really* isn't that much.  Hmmm... perhaps instead of '1,2,3,4,5', it should be '1,3,5,7,9'.   That way, those who are willing to go all-in on Tier 5 can make whatever they want pretty much anywhere in a huge workshop.

It also just occurred to me that, instead of things being 'magically' moved for crafting as they are even now, your drone could be assigned the task of moving the components from storage/workstation output to workstation and workstation output to storage.  That would look pretty cool and you could leave it to craft things for you while you are out of the base.

Would be nice if crafting stations had some storage space, that it could pull from..   For the work bench maybe 18 slots of inventory, that it would pull from.   This would let you store parts you use often in that workbench.   Game would not have to figure out what's in range/ out of range.   Just player inventory and workbench. 

14 hours ago, KilsonX said:

Would be nice if crafting stations had some storage space, that it could pull from..   For the work bench maybe 18 slots of inventory, that it would pull from.   This would let you store parts you use often in that workbench.   Game would not have to figure out what's in range/ out of range.   Just player inventory and workbench. 

That is actually an awesome idea and would probably be easier to implement as a first step.  (I still think that pulling from local storage would make for more enjoyable and realistic crafting, though.)

I don't know how the coding would work, but I do like this idea. 

When trying to open any given storage chest, I assume the game checks how far the player is from the chest. If it "attempted" to open all player-placed storage chests, and had access to all of their inventories at once, whenever you opened a workbench... That'd get kind of laggy, and I'd imagine sketchy when it does or doesn't taken into account whether you have line-of-sight of the chests. Like, could you pull from chests in a different room? Secret chests you've placed under the floorboards? 

If I'm honest, a more simple solution would be allowing the workbench to "hold" larger stacks of specific items (as in, it only allowed you to place items that the workbench actually uses as crafting ingredients). This would allow "newer" players to have their characters kind of instinctually know what should be stored in the workbench. 

I do agree that it gets ridiculous with how much loot we can collect, especially if you're playing with a group of 5+ players. I would like to see a quality-of-life change in some form or another.