Jump to content

Any tips on surviving Wasteland early game?


Ray_Garraty
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Ray_Garraty said:

So in A20 the best loot locations are in Wasteland biome. The main problem about it is tons of ZBears...

Any tips on surviving and looting there early game?

Yeah I picked up a few, it's a good challenge you are doing, and it is definitely doable.  Funny thing is that early on in the wasteland I saw more bears than later, often a triple siting.  So my experience is not 20, but should be soon 🙂  My first week I saw a feral wandering around, and never saw another after that lol up to day 71.  I hid from that one.

- rocks are your friend!  There is a knack to throwing them certain distances to divert bears etc in the other direction, you'll figure it out.

- padded armor is awesome, zombies don't see/hear you as easily

- don't attack zombies unless you have honey, etc to cure infection.

- if you get wounded, watch the bleep out because the vultures can smell it miles around and will come after you in a hurry!  Get your health back up asap 🙂

- food is a real problem early on, luckily there is a lot to loot and find cans until you can get a garden growing.  Early on it always seemed like I was constantly having to find cans of food to survive.  You are going to want to farm asap. I had my farm perk at 2 items per harvest.

- mines you can disarm with a wrench from a distance

- visit the trader and vending machines to buy supplies, etc

 

Edit: I see things have changed quite a bit with A20 and farming now, so not sure how that part will work.

 

Edited by ChickenWings (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't had a chance to test it myself but everything I've seen is saying that looting in the Wasteland areas will boost your chance of getting better gear but at low levels you're just going to be seeing better quality versions of what you'd get in the default temperate forest zone.  So high quality pipe guns and padded armor or the occasional pistol or hunting rifle.  So if you're hoping to go in and grab some automatic shotguns and military armor you might be disappointed.  Depending on how you have your loot respawns set you could even be shooting yourself in the foot as you might get low grade loot then have to wait in game weeks before the POI loot crates reset.  You might be better off just waiting until you've leveled up a bit as that seems to have the biggest impact on the kind of gear you get from the randomized loot system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ChickenWings said:

Yeah I picked up a few, it's a good challenge you are doing, and it is definitely doable.  Funny thing is that early on in the wasteland I saw more bears than later, often a triple siting.  So my experience is not 20, but should be soon 🙂  My first week I saw a feral wandering around, and never saw another after that lol up to day 71.  I hid from that one.

- rocks are your friend!  There is a knack to throwing them certain distances to divert bears etc in the other direction, you'll figure it out.

- padded armor is awesome, zombies don't see/hear you as easily

- don't attack zombies unless you have honey, etc to cure infection.

- if you get wounded, watch the bleep out because the vultures can smell it miles around and will come after you in a hurry!  Get your health back up asap 🙂

- food is a real problem early on, luckily there is a lot to loot and find cans until you can get a garden growing.  Early on it always seemed like I was constantly having to find cans of food to survive.  You are going to want to farm asap. I had my farm perk at 2 items per harvest.

- mines you can disarm with a wrench from a distance

- visit the trader and vending machines to buy supplies, etc

 

Edit: I see things have changed quite a bit with A20 and farming now, so not sure how that part will work.

 

How do you disable land mines with a wrench?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sydious said:

God mode.  It's not an area "designed" for early game.

Well what am I supposed to do instead? I hate wasting time looting some crappy low level garbage in the Forest biome.

The Wasteland adds free +50 to your Loot Level, which seems extremely helpful early game...

I rode a bicycle through the Wasteland city the other night, and didn't disturb any mobs or bears, so it's actually worth trying, I guess.

Edited by Ray_Garraty (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ray_Garraty said:

The Wasteland adds free +50 to your Loot Level, which seems extremely helpful early game...

It actually adds 31 to it on level one and because of the adjusted loot scaling, you won't be getting any T1 weapons or armour with that loot level just yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You really want the book that lets you walk on mines without them going boom.

 

Then mines are your friend.  :)

 

"follow me little zombie......"      heh-heh-heh

 

(otherwise, stay the frack outta the wasteland early on.  Loot the crappy stuff until you can kill the bears etc)

 

oh, the snow biome is also bad for bears and cougars. (not the good kinda cougar either)

(sneak headshots does help bring'em down)

lotsa meat though.  I'm up to almost 1k meat now after doing the treasure map runs in the snow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Jason Tamosiunis said:

yep just 1 tip avoid the wasteland early on altogether :)

 

To do clear/fetch quests in Wasteland you just need a pipe machine gun and some molotovs. Just don't stay too long out in the open, because Zeds start gathering around when they see and hear you.

I'm gonna try to do it at night, perhaps it'll become easier.

But the loot is really worth it, found myself a decent Steel Axe at day 8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ray_Garraty said:

 

 

To do clear/fetch quests in Wasteland you just need a pipe machine gun and some molotovs. Just don't stay too long out in the open, because Zeds start gathering around when they see and hear you.

I'm gonna try to do it at night, perhaps it'll become easier.

But the loot is really worth it, found myself a decent Steel Axe at day 8.

day 8 is ok but personally i wouldnt go prior to the day 7 horde isnt worth it and not safe at the point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what i have done since the creation of spears early game.

 

1 collect a ton of wood and stone.

 

2 mark and remember the straightest path out

 

3 turn up the volume of my game to hear, grass rustling in case
zombie howl fails. now i can also hear bird's wings.

 

4 Create a stack of ladders, and frames. I don't nerd pole, i use the
frames for blocking egress, so nothing sneaks up in a poi quietly.
i place the ladders 3 blocks up and do hard pois from top down.
This way if you get a zombie tail, climb or jump down off the roof,
run around the house when it follows, climb back up. block the interior
poi path but allow for you to shoot a bow or throw a spear. After dispatch
destroy the block, and progress.

 

Make as many arrows as you can, this will also give you the chance of eggs.
I keep at least 6 spears in my belt until i find better weapons.

 

If you can see the POI's before entering the zone its best to pick a flat
one near your target. Clear the roof, and destroy the bottm two rungs of
any ladder leading up. use that as a temp base should you get bogged down,
have to beat a retreat, or it starts getting dark. Its a good thing that
vultures only attack after you are wounded or it would be a long night.

 

If you see a bear, make sure you are fast enough to get to the flat top.
Lure it there and if you want build a catwalk, so you don't fall, then spear
the #*@*! out of him, aim for the head. That's the reason for the rocks, and
wood. use spears, make six more rinse repeat til one of you is dead. reclaim
the excess spears and put them in a secure box at th catwalk.

 

Raid the POI slowly, then get out of Dodge and sell to the Trader.

 

Tips move in a zigzag fashion over the terrain, when headed toward target biome
look for golden seal, tree trunks, cotton plants, and check any, garbage and
external loot container along the way. you will need bottles and murky water,
use your arrows mainly for chickens and rabbits along the way. the only point id
advise is chef, the rest is up to your playthrough. bacon and eggs, and water
will keep you alive, until the next day.

 

Its not perfect, but depending on the poi locale, i usually have more than one
roof to climb up on. Best if done by day to watch for mines.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 12/11/2021 at 5:38 AM, pApA^LeGBa said:

Do NOT wrench mines as @ChickenWings suggested. That´s not in the game anymore.

 

And it seems that the demolition perk no longer allows you to pick them up.

Thank you SO much you just SAVED not only my life but also my fathers LMFAO! Our base is at the Red Mesa Missle Silo, it has land mines ALL around it in the little bunker hahaha. My dumbass would have convinced him it was true and we were just doing something wrong and probably blew ourselves up a good 4-5 times before realizing I’m an idiot LOL hahahaa ❤️❤️🙏🏻🙏🏻😂😂😂

Edited by TresusChrist (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2021 at 7:39 AM, Ray_Garraty said:

Well what am I supposed to do instead?

 

Focus on Lucky Looter, prioritise find looter goggles, buy eye candies. Then pick your POIs in the wasteland carefully... and don't hit mines with wrenches :)

 

Spoiler

spacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2021 at 8:02 PM, Star69 said:

I want to be a fly on the wall when OP tries one particular tip you wrote lol.

 

 

And just like that, I added another song to my Spotify 7 Days playlist:  Surprise, You're Dead by Faith No More.

 

Edited by Ramethzer0
better link (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...